Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: Kindle Touch
Simplified Cataloging of Authors?

It's great to be able to generate a catalog of our books. Perhaps I have too many books, but I find the listing of authors less than optimal. When I view the catalog in Calibre and expand the Authors section of the TOC on the left, I see a bunch of entries, on the left, of the form "Authors beginning with A," ... "Authors beginning with Z." I would greatly prefer to see the actual names on the left.

When I click on an entry like "Authors beginning with A," the window on the right gives me a lot more than just the author names. I also see titles and series. There, or somewhere, I would like to see just the author names.

I don't mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the authors, series, and titles being shown together on the right. I guess what I'd like to suggest is the ability, somewhere, to see a list of the author names and nothing more, with the ability to view an author's works by clicking on the author's name. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Jimbo724; 01-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,633
Karma: 5628865
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (The original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
It's great to be able to generate a catalog of our books. Perhaps I have too many books, but I find the listing of authors less than optimal. When I view the catalog in Calibre and expand the Authors section of the TOC on the left, I see a bunch of entries, on the left, of the form "Authors beginning with A," ... "Authors beginning with Z." I would greatly prefer to see the actual names on the left.

When I click on an entry like "Authors beginning with A," the window on the right gives me a lot more than just the author names. I also see titles and series. There, or somewhere, I would like to see just the author names.

I don't mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the authors, series, and titles being shown together on the right. I guess what I'd like to suggest is the ability, somewhere, to see a list of the author names and nothing more, with the ability to view an author's works by clicking on the author's name. Am I missing something?
Go read the Help pages (CLI section) on: calibredb.exe list
You can have as much or little as you want in a simple 'list' (text or CSV) file
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Go read the Help pages (CLI section) on: calibredb.exe list
Thanks.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: Kindle Touch
After playing around with calibredb, I still end up with a list about 4000 lines long and with each author's name appearing, after unique id numbers, as many times as I have books by that author in my library. Not too useful. Maybe (probably) I'm missing something, but is there some way to generate a simple list of authors in my library, each author's name appearing only once in the list?
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,935
Karma: 5036099
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; print '\n'.join(x[1] for x in db().all_authors())"

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; print '\n'.join(x[1] for x in db().all_authors())"
Now THAT's amazing! And it worked, too.

Thanks!
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cataloging and GSAFD augur Library Management 7 02-23-2012 09:17 PM
Best ereader with (simplified) Chinese support in Australia fallsauce Which one should I buy? 3 12-29-2011 07:59 PM
looking for a simplified version of the Bible akurtula Reading Recommendations 4 07-17-2011 09:40 PM
Ebooks in simplified Mandarin James_Wilde General Discussions 4 01-14-2011 09:29 AM
iLiad Enable Simplified Chinese handwriting ericshliao iRex Developer's Corner 2 04-15-2010 01:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.