Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
rmayer99
rmayer99 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Mac Trackpad Scrolls too fast

Hi all,

I am new to Calibre so please excuse me if this is a dumb question - I did try to search for the answer first...

I am using Calibre on a Mac Mini with a Magic Trackpad. When I try to use the swipe method (two fingers) of going from page to page, it goes too far...2, sometimes 3 pages at a time.

I know I can use the Left and Right arrows in the side panel, but I was wondering if there is some simple tweak or adjustment so I could use the trackpad. As it is now, it goes too far, too fast to be useable.

thanks in advance,

Rob
rmayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
I can't reply directly to the Magic Trackpad, but I use calibre on my Macbook, and the trackpad there works fine.

Are you talking about the cover-flow? That does zip by for me pretty quick also, but it does that in other programs, not just calibre. I can control the speed of cover-flow by moving my fingers slowly, though.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
rmayer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
I can't reply directly to the Magic Trackpad, but I use calibre on my Macbook, and the trackpad there works fine.

Are you talking about the cover-flow? That does zip by for me pretty quick also, but it does that in other programs, not just calibre. I can control the speed of cover-flow by moving my fingers slowly, though.
I guess I'm used to it being a definite 1-swipe, 1-page from other apps, like Safari. I have to go very slow to eek out just one page in Calibre. I like everything else about Calibre,,,just wish this were a bit more user-friendly.

Rob
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

If you are talking about cover-flow in calibre, it is a cover-flow thing, not a calibre thing. It works the same way in Finder, iTunes, etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
rmayer99, are you talking about the cover-flow mode, or are you talking about turning pages while reading an ebook with Calibre?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
rmayer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
rmayer99, are you talking about the cover-flow mode, or are you talking about turning pages while reading an ebook with Calibre?
Turning the pages while reading a book...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I know nothing about Macs, but here are a couple possible temporary fixes based on my smartphone usage.

Touch Screen Sensitivity: Most touchscreen devices include a way to alter the sensitivity of the screen. Maybe there is something similar for your Mac? Perhaps turning down the screen sensitivity a bit will work.

Flick, don't Swipe: I've also noticed that a very short, but fast "flick" will turn a page rather than a longer "swipe". Flick's require more screen pressure to perform than a swipe.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Sabardeyn: Sadly, that isn't a solution in this case. I use an iPhone and iPad, so am pretty familiar with the quick flick. But when reading a book in Calibre, the quickest two-finger sideways flick can turn 4-30 pages.

Changing the tracking speed of the trackpad to its slowest setting makes minimal difference to this, but does make the rest of the computer near- unusable.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
loximuthal
Connoisseur

It had not occurred to me to use the track pad on my macbook to change pages. I just tried it out and experienced the same effect you describe. I must admit that I don't use my macbook to read much, and when I do I use the arrow keys to change pages. They, at least, work one page at a time.