Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
[Solved] Kindle 5.3.2 stuck at reboot

Hi,

I have a Kindle Touch 5.3.2 which is stuck at reboot. Since I don't have a Windows Version handy at the moment, I would like to know if there is another possibility than using MfgTools. I tried to install imx_usb_loader, but I was not able to install it on Mac OS X 10.8.1 because first of all I got the message "imx_usb.c:27:10: fatal error: 'sys/io.h' file not found" and after changing "sys/io.h" to "sys/uio.h", I got 11 warnings and one error "imx_usb.c:509:4: error: non-void function 'find_imx_dev' should return a value [-Wreturn-type]".
Unfortunately, the ENABLE_DIAGS does not work anymore on the new firmware, so easy flashing is not possible. I thought since I have Duokan in the newest version installed, there is a possibility to use that to run a *.sh file? Maybe change the uninstall files to run something, but I am scared that when I run uninstall in Duokan that it doesn't actually use the *.sh files in DK_System/install.
Thank you in advance for your hints!

Last edited by tommytomtom; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Solved
tommytomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

I can run shell scripts inside of the Duokan installation script. So I can get log files etc. However I do not know how to flash my kindle. Could I somehow force my kindle into diag or fastboot mode or could I downgrade to 5.1.2 with dd?
is it possible to run update_*.bin files with "lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1" from a *.sh file?
There must be a way!

Furthermore (might be stupid?), to install something like DuoKan would possible enable something like an artificial ENABLE_DIAG: We could just do the same as Duokan does and use for its updates to run scripts and have a file like DISABLE_DUOKAN to not use it.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomtom View Post
is it possible to run update_*.bin files with "lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1" from a *.sh file?
There must be a way!
It should be possible. You can also try /usr/sbin/otaup /mnt/us/some_update_bundle.bin .

I think, you should definitely try again to getting imx_usb_loader to compile. It will give you control over KT booting independently of firmware behavior, so it's worth more than other ways. Try to replace return; at the error line to return NULL;
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
tommytomtom
Enthusiast

Thank you eureka, now I just get 12 warning and imx_usb has been created. However, I guess I am unable to find my kindle in usb_download_mode. Do I have to put any special commands so that the kindle is used in the right way on my mac (of course I hold down the power key until the lamp goes of, then hold down menu key, then release the power key and finally release the menu key)?
by just using imx_usb, I get:
$ ./imx_usb fastboot.bin
parse mx50_usb_work.conf
15a2:0052(KindleTouch) bConfigurationValue =1
Claim failed
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
This imx_usb_loader?
https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader

On ubuntu, do:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials libusb-1.0.0 libusb-1.0.0-dev zenity whiptail
git clone https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader.git
cd imx_usb_loader
################### If you prefer GUI #################
./imx_gui

######################### Else if you like Tui############
./imx_tui
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
This imx_usb_loader?
https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader

On ubuntu, do:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials libusb-1.0.0 libusb-1.0.0-dev zenity whiptail
git clone https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader.git
cd imx_usb_loader
################### If you prefer GUI #################
./imx_gui

######################### Else if you like Tui############
./imx_tui
Poster is using MacOSx - may be missing the libusb
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you eureka, now I just get 12 warning and imx_usb has been created. However, I guess I am unable to find my kindle in usb_download_mode. Do I have to put any special commands so that the kindle is used in the right way on my mac (of course I hold down the power key until the lamp goes of, then hold down menu key, then release the power key and finally release the menu key)?
by just using imx_usb, I get:
$ ./imx_usb fastboot.bin
parse mx50_usb_work.conf
15a2:0052(KindleTouch) bConfigurationValue =1
Claim failed
imx_usb_loader is based on libusb. Googling for libusb macos claim failed took me to libusb ticket #89 saying that HID devices aren't supported by libusb on recent MacOS X. USB downloader mode protocol (used by imx_usb_loader) is HID-based and KT in USB downloader mode is recognized as HID device. Ticket is 2 years old, but it's closed as wontfix. (There is also related libusb ticket #33.)

So, I guess, you must to boot into other OS to work with imx_usb_loader. Maybe Ubuntu LiveCD?...
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
tommytomtom
Enthusiast

Thank you eureka! That is what I thought. So it would be nice if somebody could write somewhere so that there are not other people like me trying!
Attention imx_usb_loader does NOT work on Mac OS X!
So I now downloaded Kubuntu Live DVD (maybe Ubuntu would be better but I just Kubuntu until a few month ago...) and booted into it.
Thank you aditya3098 for your github and your instructions, just to be easier on freshly installed (K)Ubuntu, there was a typo (no "s" in build-essential) and a few more packages are needed: pkg-config and git
Furthermore, I still need to do "make", don't I?

Anyhow, I am in USB_download_mode:
$ lsbusb
Bus 003 Device 032: ID 15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX50 SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

However, it does not work:
$ ./imx_gui
imx_gui version 1.0
main:Could not open device vid=0x15a2 pid=0x52 err=-3
Booted kindle

What does that mean and what do I have to do?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
eureka

Quote:
Anyhow, I am in USB_download_mode:
$ lsbusb
Bus 003 Device 032: ID 15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX50 SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

However, it does not work:
$ ./imx_gui
imx_gui version 1.0
main:Could not open device vid=0x15a2 pid=0x52 err=-3
Booted kindle

What does that mean and what do I have to do?
imx_usb_loader requires administrative rights to access USB device. I think running it from root shell (or with sudo command) should solve the problem with err=-3.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
tommytomtom
Enthusiast

Thank you again eureka! But I just figured that out by myself :P

Tags
5.3.2, bricked, duokan, mfgtool, reboot