Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
upgrade tablet to HD?

Title says it all. What are your thoughts on upgrsding to the HD from a Nook tablet? I love the tablet, but also love the idea of something 3 ounces lighter and with a higher resolution screen. Who's upgraded or thinking of upgrading and what are your thoughts?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I don't have an HD, but you wanted opinions...

I got the HD+ mainly because I wanted the bigger screen. You're going from a 7" screen to a 7" screen. You can get them both to run CM10 just fine. So, the question is, is the higher resolution worth the money you'll spend?

I've seen the HD on sale on the Staples web site for $149. If you wait a few months, you might even find it cheaper than that.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see the need to upgrade yet. My NT is still fully functional and runs CM10 from its 8 GB μSD card. Also, some apps can be of use to increase its capabilities. One such app is GrooveIP Lite which, when set up with Google Voice, converts the tablet into a VOIP telephone capable of making free local and long distance calls in the U.S. I actually got the idea from a YouTube video "7 Things You Must Do With Your Nexus 7" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCiEqB5How
GrooveIP Lite worked well in my limited trial. Check it out.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Well, I went ahead and got one so I could try it out in person. At first, I was ready to box it back up and return it. The plastic edge is kind of sharp and also cheapo looking. But I spent a good long time reading on it yesterday and it's growing on me. It is so light. I'm willing to forgive the plastic-ness as I know this helps with the weight. The screen resolution is awesome.

One of the features I didn't know about was Article View on the browser. That is really nice. I do a lot of reading of the NYT and Wired Magazine online and having that Article View is really nice. The downside is that, with this resolution screen, I don't automatically get kicked in to the mobile versions of sites, and, in fact, on Wired.com I don't seem to be able to access the mobile version at all.

The UI is quite nice. I like that brightness adjustment is just one touch away. And the homescreen with carousel of latest apps / books is nice (as is the recently access apps / books tray.)

Overall, I think it might just be a keeper after all. I haven't watched Netflix on it yet, but with this screen, I can only imagine it will be great.

The biggest selling point to me has been the weight. The HD, when held on its own, is the same weight as my Glowlight in its cover. I wish I'd gotten in on that Staples deal, but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. Oh well. For me, it still worth the price and I think I will really enjoy this latest gadget
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you like it. Just ignore all the bad publicity that B&N is getting right now.

I tried running CM10 on my HD+ from the SD card, but gave up on all the problems and just rooted and installed Google Play. Now I have the best of both worlds--my HD+ runs fine on the stock ROM and I can install almost any app that I want (and have already paid for on my phone).

I finally received my cover that I bought off ebay. I went through three sellers, the first two had shipping problems or was out of stock (on something they put up for sale!). After waiting six weeks, I finally have a nice real-leather cover that fits very nice. I don't mind the extra weight--I'd rather have the protection. I can't see paying $50 for the plastic covered cardboard that B&N sells.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Personally, I haven't found any of the 7" tablets released since the Nook Color to be enticing enough for me to upgrade, but I did end up going for a Nook HD+ to get more and sharper real estate for my comics and magazines. The HD+ is a unique value right now in middlin-to-large tablets, whereas the HD doesn't stand up well to the Nexus 7 IMO--the screen is somewhat better, but not by a huge margin, and there's a card slot. The N7, on the other hand, has more powerful innards and stock Android, along with a full sensor array and standard micro-USB jack and cable.

I will say the stock interface on my HD+ has some pros--I wish I could have the "recent" widget from Nook but the recent apps interface from stock ICS/JB. If you don't use your tablet for much except web browsing and B&N content, I guess it wouldn't matter whether you get a HD or a Nexus. If anything, if I were still interested in the 7" market, I would spring for the $299 Nexus 7 with an AT&T data connection.

ETA: my 1000th post
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Personally, I haven't found any of the 7" tablets released since the Nook Color to be enticing enough for me to upgrade, but I did end up going for a Nook HD+ to get more and sharper real estate for my comics and magazines. The HD+ is a unique value right now in middlin-to-large tablets, whereas the HD doesn't stand up well to the Nexus 7 IMO--the screen is somewhat better, but not by a huge margin, and there's a card slot. The N7, on the other hand, has more powerful innards and stock Android, along with a full sensor array and standard micro-USB jack and cable.

I will say the stock interface on my HD+ has some pros--I wish I could have the "recent" widget from Nook but the recent apps interface from stock ICS/JB. If you don't use your tablet for much except web browsing and B&N content, I guess it wouldn't matter whether you get a HD or a Nexus. If anything, if I were still interested in the 7" market, I would spring for the $299 Nexus 7 with an AT&T data connection.

ETA: my 1000th post
32gb for $299 nook hd + I feel is better for me personally considering very good resolution and form factor I like. Tried the new ipad, too much money and while it isn't big or heavy, I like the nook better.

I feel initially their store is good enough for starters and I can get some b&n perks as well. I rather go that route since I already have a nexus 7 so this purchase would offer me something different.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I love my Nook HD+. I have rooted on a micro SD Card, but I still use it more just as a stock ereader.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I love my Nook HD+. I have rooted on a micro SD Card, but I still use it more just as a stock ereader.
Apache
What is the latest version of software on the hd+ and have you tried watching any uv movies on it?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My version is 2.0.5. I have only watched a movie on it once to see if it worked. It does and the movie looked great.
Apache
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
kevinp
Fanatic

I finally got a leather cover for my Nook HD+ off ebay. It has the magnets in the cover that turn the HD+ on and off (very nice feature). I think the magnets must put it in "deep sleep mode" because my battery's been lasting about four days and still shows half life.

I haven't used it much in those four days. But before, it would be dead in two or three days with little use.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
32gb for $299 nook hd + I feel is better for me personally considering very good resolution and form factor I like. Tried the new ipad, too much money and while it isn't big or heavy, I like the nook better.
Well, like I said I also went for the HD+, having already ruled out everything smaller and everything $100+ more expensive. The ebook experience on my Nook Color was just fine (though I never ran it stock--CyanogenMod was on there within three days), but I wanted something closer to "actual size" for comic books and magazines without dropping a lot of money or taking a hit on PPI, so the HD+ was perfect.

The Nook Color went to my sister and if I do add something smaller than the HD+ to my stable, it will probably be a front-lit e-reader. For as many years as I've been e-reading, the Kindle PW was the first eInk display to really tempt me away from multi-purpose devices, though I'm not keen on any other aspect of the Kindle line (no epub, ad supported models, no expandable storage). The Kobo Glo might be an alternative. I wouldn't be willing to take the PPI hit on the Nook Glowlight.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
robertc88
Fanatic

It screams bargain versus the Ipad Mini, you get 32GB with better RAM and much better PPI. And it isn't heavy, could not figure why that all of a sudden that is an issue with larger iPads. Oh well, glad I'm not one of those Apple has right where it wants them.

I'll give my review soon but I think you pretty much already know I'll be pleased after putting it through its paces. Guess I owe you one.

B&N needs to expose this thing better than it just sitting on a kiosk with employees unaware of how to make it sell for folks that are interested in spending that amount of money to begin with.

Kevin is right, ignore the negative publicity cause one can do lots worse than this device.

Last edited by robertc88; 01-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

Unfortunately they do not want to sell it as a stand alone tablet.
Apache
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Unfortunately they do not want to sell it as a stand alone tablet.
Apache
I didn't notice elsewhere or here but did you get the N2A card? Mine should arrive on Monday.