Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Why text becomes bold?

I want to change the size of the subheading. All is nice until 109%, but as soon as I enter 110% or anything bigger, subheading will be bold. Why?

Code in the css:
Code:
.calibre24 {
    font-size: 109%;
    text-indent:0em;
    text-align:center;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-left: 3em;
    margin-right: 3em;
    margin-top: 0em
    }
and code in the main text:
Code:
<p class="calibre24">this is subheading</p>

Just made another experiment - when I add font-weight:bold, then the text is much bolder, whatever the size.
So it's not real bold, but just looks bolder than main text both in Sigil and in Calibre viewer.

It's totally mystifying. Does it mean I can't get big thin characters? Seems somehow wrong.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use something other than Sigil or Calibre to view the book.
The QT render engine has display quirks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, thanks. I started to suspect it was something about viewer, but it's very nice to know.
Maybe when I get a device that reads epubs, I'll consider it more important, but for now I'll stick with Calibre.

Wonder what other quirks I should be aware of...?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre actually uses the same Qt Webkit renderer that Sigil does in its viewer. Preview your ePub in Adobe Digital Editions if you want to get a ballpark idea of what the vast majority epub readers will be seeing. It's not going to be identical to what the various devices see, but it will be a lot closer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sony makes a viewer for PC, so does Nook, so if you think you might go either of those directions, you could try those as well to preview. You will find if you begin to fiddle with embedded fonts, there are quirks there as well. They are not shown in Sigil, but appear in the viewers and devices.

Another reason to get and use a viewer is that images can overlap if they are too large, flooding the following page. This too is not shown by Sigil, but is shown by a viewer or device.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Calibre actually uses the same Qt Webkit renderer that Sigil does in its viewer. Preview your ePub in Adobe Digital Editions if you want to get a ballpark idea of what the vast majority epub readers will be seeing. It's not going to be identical to what the various devices see, but it will be a lot closer.
Does this start to make you wonder if anyone at all is actually making ePUBs that are NOT made with Calibre?

I'm not sure I remember the last thread in which the CSS was not "Calibre-this" or "Calibre-that."

(And, really--we need a sub-forum for ePUB CSS. It's silly that all these questions are in Sigil, as if it has anything whatsoever to do with it. Or, generally, these should be moved to ePUB. This one had some relevance, but it's a novice question that would be better answered over there, by more folks with experience in using Calibre to make ePUBs.)

Just my $.02

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
I want to change the size of the subheading. All is nice until 109%, but as soon as I enter 110% or anything bigger, subheading will be bold. Why?

Code in the css:
Code:
.calibre24 {
    font-size: 109%;
    text-indent:0em;
    text-align:center;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-left: 3em;
    margin-right: 3em;
    margin-top: 0em
    }
and code in the main text:
Code:
<p class="calibre24">this is subheading</p>

Just made another experiment - when I add font-weight:bold, then the text is much bolder, whatever the size.
So it's not real bold, but just looks bolder than main text both in Sigil and in Calibre viewer.

It's totally mystifying. Does it mean I can't get big thin characters? Seems somehow wrong.
Have you tried putting font-weight:normal; into your style definition?
A lot of HTML rendering engines will automatically embolden headings and large fonts unless you specifically tell them not to.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Does this start to make you wonder if anyone at all is actually making ePUBs that are NOT made with Calibre?

I'm not sure I remember the last thread in which the CSS was not "Calibre-this" or "Calibre-that."
So true... Calibre is very nice for library management, but it's conversions... It takes me a lot more to clean that up than that its worth.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
travger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
Have you tried putting font-weight:normal; into your style definition?
A lot of HTML rendering engines will automatically embolden headings and large fonts unless you specifically tell them not to.
I thought it was already normal enough, thank you for that suggestion. Now I understand why I see it in so many books.

At least now I know that I did everything right, and proper reader (that I won't be getting anytime soon) will show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch
(And, really--we need a sub-forum for ePUB CSS. It's silly that all these questions are in Sigil, as if it has anything whatsoever to do with it. Or, generally, these should be moved to ePUB. This one had some relevance, but it's a novice question that would be better answered over there, by more folks with experience in using Calibre to make ePUBs.)
I vote for Yes, please! I do understand that Sigil is not about code, but, it's a tool I use to get at the code... So chances are that other people using it will know about the code...
Separate sub-forum would help tremendously. Though lurking around here has made me much smarter too.