Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
AuburnGirl89
AuburnGirl89 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Book Designer Struggles

I'm about to throw a chair across the room. I'm an amateur at this self-publishing internet stuff and I could really use some help. I am going to use mobi for my book but apparently one must first use Book Designer. (I'm using Harry T's tutorials, which would be great, except I first must INSTALL book designer). I have installed Book Designer. But it keeps coming up with an error message like dhtmled.ocx are missing or not registered...I followed all the troubleshooting steps and it led me to download a hot something from Microsoft...which I did but it didn't work. ANY suggestions would be soooo appreciated. PLEASE.
Thanks.
AuburnGirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you're just starting out, download Mobipocket Creator and you'll quickly get results. However, this program is extremely outdated.

A better way would probably be to save your Word document as a filtered .html document and then further process it with Sigil.

For more information see this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Agatha Chicken
Super Star Crime Writer
Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agatha Chicken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnGirl89 View Post
I'm about to throw a chair across the room. I'm an amateur at this self-publishing internet stuff and I could really use some help. I am going to use mobi for my book but apparently one must first use Book Designer. (I'm using Harry T's tutorials, which would be great, except I first must INSTALL book designer). I have installed Book Designer. But it keeps coming up with an error message like dhtmled.ocx are missing or not registered...I followed all the troubleshooting steps and it led me to download a hot something from Microsoft...which I did but it didn't work. ANY suggestions would be soooo appreciated. PLEASE.
Thanks.
Don't use Book Designer.
Use Sigil to make a nice ePub, and then KindleGen to convert to a nice Mobipocket. If it's for upload here, use KindelStrip to remove the unneeded source file from the output of KindleGen.
Agatha Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Chicken View Post
Don't use Book Designer.
Use Sigil to make a nice ePub, and then KindleGen to convert to a nice Mobipocket. If it's for upload here, use KindelStrip to remove the unneeded source file from the output of KindleGen.
Welcome to the discussion Agatha. I thought you were only posting the famous mystery novel.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote