Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
jo jo
jo jo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[Solved] Can't install Calibre on Windows Vista

Hi.
I'm trying to install Calibre 0.9.11 on Windows Vista 32 bit. The system uses Python 3.2, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (v. 10.0.xxxxx), Java 7 update 9, Comodo firewall (no warnings about Calibre), all the latest system updates.
Calibre installation seems to go on right (no errors messages). When I launch the software I can see only the user interface, but it's unrensponsive to mouse and buttons. CPU goes up to 100% and temperature goes up too. After reboot it's the same. A new download of the Calibre installer doesn't solve. Previous version of Calibre doesn't solve.
I haven't found system requirement. Do I have to install something else? If you need a "log file" please tell me where to find it on the system.
I've tried Calibre using a Live CD of Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop Edition and all works good here. But I can't install Ubuntu right now. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jo jo; 12-27-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Problem solved
jo jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you buy any chance have RoboForm installed? There have been issues with it and calibre...

Also, calibre will install it's own version of python, so will use Python 2.x rather than 3.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
jo jo

Thanks for your reply Peter.
I don't have RoboForm. I've seen RoboForm is a password manager. I have some other software using encryption and password management system, as the Firefox's plug-in "PrivacySuite", or some PGP software for e-mail. Many of them are open source. Any chance some of those software use or install conflicting libraries?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No idea; sorry
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
jo jo

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to unistall something in the next days. I don't know if ".NET Framework" is needed, anyway I've upgraded to version 4.5. Not solved.
See you.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Disable your antivirus.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
jo jo

Hi Kovid. Thanks for this software and all the work done togheter with contributors.
Now Calibre works for me.
I've tried to shoot down many "anti-something" software, one by one and togheter, but nothing solved.
Fortunatelly someone called me away from PC during the test and, when I returned, Calibre was responsive. Every launch takes about 4 minutes. This launch time was unespected because Calibre starts immediately in Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit (Friend's notebook).
My hardware is not so bad: Intel core 2 T5500 (1,66 Ghz), nVidia Geforce GO 7600, 3 GB RAM.
Thanks again to all : )

Last edited by jo jo; 12-27-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo jo View Post
Hi Kovid. Thanks for this software and all the work done togheter with contributors.
Now Calibre works for me.
I've tried to shoot down many "anti-something" software, one by one and togheter, but nothing solved.
Fortunatelly someone called me away from PC during the test and, when I returned, Calibre was responsive. Every launch takes about 4 mitutes. This launch time was unespected because Calibre starts immediately in Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit (Friend's PC).
Hardware not so bad: Intel core 2 T5500 (1,66 Ghz), nVidia Geforce GO 7600, 3 GB RAM.
Thanks again to all : )
Those indications are typical for:
1) Aggressive antivirus, which you disabled in your tests.
2) Using a Networked drive (and one with poor throughput)
3) failing hardware (drive or other data bus component, cooling:calibre can be CPU intensive at times)
4)a really messed up PATH variable (I found multiple repeated folders in mine. Type (in a command prompt): Set path to see yours. You may have a non-existent folder listed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
jo jo

Hi theducks.
I think you are right about some system problem. It's an old installation.
Anyway I've done something else.
1) About Antivirus. I'm not sure Comodo is completely disabled when I close it. That's because Windows Security Center doesn't show a warning message, and continue to show the system as "protected", even when I close all the related tasks (Geekbuddy, Dragon, etc.). Anyway I can't unistall Comodo for a complete test, right now.
2) No networked drive in use.
3) About Drivers. I've found 2 drivers not working: "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter" and "6TO4 Adapter". Update of the drivers doesn't fix the warning in the hardware monitor. I'll try something later.
4) About PATH. I've found some unused path related to Jahshaka, an old video editor open source (now the project seems again active). I've cancelled the unused paths using "RapidEnvironment Editor". But this doesn't solve.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll try something in the next days.
Right now the most important thing is I can use Calibre. A New installation of the system will come soon and I think it will be the solution.
See you : )

Tags
calibre installation, calibre vista 32 bit, vista installation