Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #46
metalgearslug
Junior Member
metalgearslug began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: kindle 4
Well i figured if its complaining about the waveform i would do the diagnostic test which goes on about it! But it then complains that "waveform version: 03_00_0000_3c_0b0000_00_01_000001bc_00 cannot get panel ID FAIL FAIL" which i figure isn't good...
metalgearslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #47
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
twobob's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,552
Karma: 6021142
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Assuming this is the same issue as all the other threads entitled "cannot exit diags" one of the tests makes a file that allows you to exit. I dont think it was that one. You checked out those threads. I only ever clicked it once on a 5. cant ever remember where it was on the menu. made the file by hand ever since (like twice or something)

hth
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #48
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
Issues persist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The "Device Setting" used to be the first test on the main menu. Find it and run it to create the missing file (like it says). That file is needed to disable diags.

EDIT: Alternatively, you can export USB from the diags menu, and create the missing "diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml" file on the shared USB drive from the host PC.
Hi I have the folder:
diagnostic_logs
and the files therein:
511.xml
device_info.xml
deviceSettingInfo.xml
Unfortunately I just cannot exit diagnostic mode. I've used the menu to re-create the deviceSettingInfo.xml as above and additionally copied that into the root of the Kindle (I read this somewhere).

Both device_info.xml and deviceSettingInfo.xml are zero-byte files. The Kindle tells me to "Copy the deviceSettingInfo.xml to the Kindle" the question is: where is this file and where is the shared USB device? Assuming it is the Kindle which pops up the USB drive on my machine, it seems odd to copy that file to itself...

I'm struggling and would appreciate any help. I must be missing something!

Thanks,
Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #49
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,660
Karma: 5850002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi I have the folder:
diagnostic_logs
and the files therein:
511.xml
device_info.xml
deviceSettingInfo.xml
Unfortunately I just cannot exit diagnostic mode. I've used the menu to re-create the deviceSettingInfo.xml as above and additionally copied that into the root of the Kindle (I read this somewhere).

Both device_info.xml and deviceSettingInfo.xml are zero-byte files. The Kindle tells me to "Copy the deviceSettingInfo.xml to the Kindle" the question is: where is this file and where is the shared USB device? Assuming it is the Kindle which pops up the USB drive on my machine, it seems odd to copy that file to itself...

I'm struggling and would appreciate any help. I must be missing something!

Thanks,
Adam.
Have you deleted the ENABLE_DIAGS file from user storage?

Also:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=4

Plus:
There are diagnostic versions out there somewhere that will not exit using the on-screen menu, instead you have to use the (same) menu presented on the serial port.

I know this problem is present on some K3 devices (I have one) and I seem to recall GM reporting that some K4 devices suffer from the same problem.

So first thing to do - get your device to a "known starting point" and we will work from that point on - - -
Translation: Use Kubrick to return it to factory stock file system images.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
Hi

So I have some novel news: I may have flashed a K4 with the wrong software.

Should I rerun the tool? I cannot now seem to exit any menus or restart it

Thoughts?

Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #51
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ixtab's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,903
Karma: 6677557
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi

So I have some novel news: I may have flashed a K4 with the wrong software.

Should I rerun the tool? I cannot now seem to exit any menus or restart it

Thoughts?

Adam.
You did not mention which "tool" and which "software" you are talking about. Please try with Kubrick.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #52
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
Hi,

Apologies. I used the "Live DVD ISO image, to debrick K3, K4, and KT devices" from here:
http://ixtab.tk/kubrick-k3-k4-k5.zip

I believe my software is 4.1.1 which is a Kindle 4.

Everything went AOK using Kubrick. It informed me all was done and complete.

Unfortunately it was left in the diagnostic screen and I cannot now reboot or anything.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #53
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,660
Karma: 5850002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi,

Apologies. I used the "Live DVD ISO image, to debrick K3, K4, and KT devices" from here:
http://ixtab.tk/kubrick-k3-k4-k5.zip

I believe my software is 4.1.1 which is a Kindle 4.

Everything went AOK using Kubrick. It informed me all was done and complete.

Unfortunately it was left in the diagnostic screen and I cannot now reboot or anything.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=4
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #54
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
I cannot do *anything* at all though. I can't reboot by holding down the power; I cannot exit the menu or even move the selection highlight to try and move to exit or continue. It's completely, totally, absolutely stuck on the USBnet menu with the options:

E) 511 with device into
Z) Enable USBnet
M Mount nfs
S Stress Tests
_________________________________
X) Exit - FW RIGHT to exit
It's also Tequila v.1.0.6.194

Another other thoughts

Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #55
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
I might have to try this if this is an option:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...php?t=135118#5
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #56
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,660
Karma: 5850002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
I might have to try this if this is an option:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...php?t=135118#5
Those directions are not for your model of Kindle.

Did you try the 'X' option?

Have you put an 'ENABLE_DIAGS' file on the user storage partition? If so, remove it.

A list of all things you have done and/or tried with the results would help a lot.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #57
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
Hi,

I removed the ENABLE_DIAGS' file on the user storage partition before I ran the Kubrick software. While I think of it, when I was offered the options to select K3, K4 or K5 - I selected K4 as I definitely have a Kindle 4 -I suggested the wrong one in my other post.

So, assuming I cannot reset it and cannot access it via USB - either USBnet or even just USB - and I cannot power it off at all, can't even make the menus do anything as it's completely frozen, what are the options?

Thanks,
Adam
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #58
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,660
Karma: 5850002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi,

I removed the ENABLE_DIAGS' file on the user storage partition before I ran the Kubrick software. While I think of it, when I was offered the options to select K3, K4 or K5 - I selected K4 as I definitely have a Kindle 4 -I suggested the wrong one in my other post.

So, assuming I cannot reset it and cannot access it via USB - either USBnet or even just USB - and I cannot power it off at all, can't even make the menus do anything as it's completely frozen, what are the options?

Thanks,
Adam
Return to Amazon for replacement if still under warranty;
or
Try leaving the battery disconnected over-night.
(Note: Follow the teardown examples indexed in the master index sticky carefully, the K4 is glued together and the battery is glued in. Well, double sided taped in, but be carefully anyway.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #59
cappsie
Member
cappsie began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Device: K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Return to Amazon for replacement if still under warranty;
or
Try leaving the battery disconnected over-night.
(Note: Follow the teardown examples indexed in the master index sticky carefully, the K4 is glued together and the battery is glued in. Well, double sided taped in, but be carefully anyway.)
Hi
Definitely out of warranty so I've prised the back off and disconnected the battery.

Will leave it overnight and let you know. Is it normal to have disconnected the battery and have the screen still displayed? I'm guessing this is a feature of the e-ink thing?

Thanks,
Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #60
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,660
Karma: 5850002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi
Definitely out of warranty so I've prised the back off and disconnected the battery.

Will leave it overnight and let you know. Is it normal to have disconnected the battery and have the screen still displayed? I'm guessing this is a feature of the e-ink thing?

Thanks,
Adam.
Yes.
The e-ink display is a meta-stable device.
It only uses power when being redrawn.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hacks Is there an ssh client for the Kindle ? ninsei Amazon Kindle 3 11-18-2011 08:55 PM
how to ssh into Kindle thomass Amazon Kindle 4 04-11-2011 10:48 AM
ssh from Kindle 3 aKarma Kindle Developer's Corner 6 09-21-2010 08:59 PM
SSH to Kindle Zorz Kindle Developer's Corner 16 01-15-2010 01:18 AM
Kindle + SSH? Elegant Forkbomb Amazon Kindle 3 03-05-2009 08:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.