Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #14896
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just finished "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Actually I've just finished proofing it for the MR library. I'd never read it before - wow, what a great book! A surprisingly modern story for something written 200+ years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
It has been on my to read list for a while, thanks for proofing and uploading. I'll move it up in my list!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #14897
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've just finished "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Actually I've just finished proofing it for the MR library. I'd never read it before - wow, what a great book! A surprisingly modern story for something written 200+ years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Hmm.. I read one of her books... I think it was Pride and Prejudice. I've to add this one to my reading list too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #14898
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading on my Kindle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	egan.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	97901  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #14899
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just started Devil Said Bang, the fourth Sandman Slim book.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #14900
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Finally finished I Dare. Took me a long time, partly because of the book, and partly because of lack of time to read. The most interesting part was Pat Rin's story. I'll probably read some of the chap-books before I start the next full-length Liaden novel.

I also read a couple of Christmas romances, only one was really worth it (Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis).

Now I'm rereading Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. Snuff disappointed me when I started it a couple of months ago, and I ended up putting it on hold (I will finish it, but decided to wait a bit longer). Enjoying Hogfather so far. I had forgotten about Susan and the poker
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #14901
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Cassandra Clare & Richard Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I completed reading City of Bones and enjoyed it so much that I went and picked up a copy of the next one in the series, City of Ashes and have begun reading it.

Oh, I agree with all the And Then There Were None comments I've seen here recently!
Finished up with City of Ashes and now I'm back to The Derrick Storm Trilogy, 1/2 way through the first one, A Brewing Storm.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #14902
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just bought a heap of paper books... the prices were insanely good! I think that I will start on Old English: A Linguistic Introduction tonight.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #14903
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I finished the 'Wool Omnibus.' It was mildly interesting... Better at the beginning than the end, but worth taking the time to read. I don't know if I'd take the time to read more of the same.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #14904
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What Entropy Means to Me by George Alec Effinger. Good grief! I bought this one back in August 2005.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have always liked his writing, especially his Marîd Audran Series.
Unfortunately, I've abandoned this one. I'm pretty sure I've have read this before, but neither the style of writing nor the story makes me want to read it again. Sorry Apache!

Next up was Prisoner in the Skull by Charles Dye. Another 2005 purchase. This was originally published in the mid 1970s, and is a bit dated, the futuristic descriptions are clunky, and an unsatisfactory ending involves far too much of an unlikely occurrence. Poor.

This was the 200th book removed from my TBR pile this year!

Next up: SpiritWalk by Charles de Lint. A 2009 freebie from Tor that is still available for anyone who wants to register at Tor.com.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #14905
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Riddle of the Third Mile" by Colin Dexter, the 6th book in the "Inspector Morse" series. In this story, Morse is faced with two mysteries to solve: the disappearance of a distinguished academic from his Oxford College, and the discovery of an unidentifiable torso in a local canal. The obvious assumption is to assume the body to be that of the academic, but the truth is much, much more complex.

This is one of the best "Morse" novels. Not only is it an interesting, well-told story, with an ending which took me totally by surprise, but in this book we also find out about Morse's own past history as an Oxford student, cut short due to a disastrous love affair.

Very highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #14906
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: SpiritWalk by Charles de Lint. A 2009 freebie from Tor that is still available for anyone who wants to register at Tor.com.
But it turns out to a be a sequel to an earlier novel, so I'm not going to read it now, as I haven't read (and don't have) the earlier book.

So I turned to: Still Falling by Kurt R. A. Giambastiani over lunchtime.
An interesting little fantasy short story that I bought back in April 2003! I might even have read it back then. I can't say.

Next up: Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic by Terry Jones. I must have got this back in January 2009, but I can't find a receipt, so I think it must have been a freebie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #14907
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I am now reading a book I actually bought! A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin (It was $2.99 lol) Though it's going kind of slow, not sure I like it.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #14908
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Just finished "The Riddle of the Third Mile" by Colin Dexter, the 6th book in the "Inspector Morse" series. In this story, Morse is faced with two mysteries to solve: the disappearance of a distinguished academic from his Oxford College, and the discovery of an unidentifiable torso in a local canal. The obvious assumption is to assume the body to be that of the academic, but the truth is much, much more complex.

This is one of the best "Morse" novels. Not only is it an interesting, well-told story, with an ending which took me totally by surprise, but in this book we also find out about Morse's own past history as an Oxford student, cut short due to a disastrous love affair.

Very highly recommended.
On my TBR, but I still have #3,4 & 5 to read before I get to it. Though I'm not particularly convinced that they need to be read in any order. OTOH, knowing that "one of the best Morse novels" is waiting for me, gives me some incentive to push through and put them higher on my list.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #14909
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading When Helping Hurts on my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #14910
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I finished the 'Wool Omnibus.' It was mildly interesting... Better at the beginning than the end, but worth taking the time to read. I don't know if I'd take the time to read more of the same.

Stitchawl
I feel the same way.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote