Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #151
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.
 
Booxtor's Avatar
 
Posts: 843
Karma: 68878
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Jumping in quickly: after the installation a new folder is created along the three files, named ".boox" If I remember correctly, containing a 4kb file titled thumbs. Is that safe to delete also?

.boox folder will be created in every new folder automaticaly. It contains some working information concerning your documents in the folder (reading positions, settings, sketches, highlightings etc.) So please don't remove those folders if you are not going to delete this information.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #152
Pooh_
Enthusiast
Pooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with others
 
Posts: 35
Karma: 2966
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Onyx Boox I62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I will think, how to solve the dilema. May be you are right with additional setting in PDF Reader menu. I just don't want to overload the menu with too much settings. Some newbies could become confused.
Add one more checkbox("Exit confirmation") to the "Menu-Tools-Reading Options" dialog, and all will be happy...
Pooh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #153
inthemood
Connoisseur
inthemood began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 92
Karma: 40
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_ View Post
Add one more checkbox("Exit confirmation") to the "Menu-Tools-Reading Options" dialog, and all will be happy...
Why not. But it seems to me that the priority would be to make the graphic user interface more firefly-friendly (starting with BIGGER !)
Have a nice day.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #154
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 116
Karma: 6899
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I just don't want to overload the menu with too much settings. Some newbies could become confused.
If I may suggest something ... introduce a single global "Advanced Options" setting (somewhere in the "top-main menu", valid for all "sub-menus", i.e. one setting for the "whole device").
If it's "off" (should be the "factory default"), the user will get just the most "basic" options everywhere (good for "novice users"). If someone switches it "on", you can display as many options as needed (good for "experienced users").
One could also imagine a "Level of Experience" option (instead of a simple "on" / "off" for "Advanced Options") ... something like the "Dreyfus model of skill acquisition" ...
1 = "Novice" ("factory default"), 2 = "Advanced Beginner", 3 = "Competent", 4 = "Proficient", 5 = "Expert", 6 = "Master", 7 = "???", ..., 9 = "Hacker" ... or something like "The Seven Stages of Expertise in Software Engineering" ... 1 = "Innocent / Naive", 2 = "Exposed / Aware", 3 = "Apprentice / Student", 4 = "Practitioner / Apprentice", 5 = "Journeyman", 6 = "Master", 7 = "Researcher / Expert", ..., 9 = "Hacker"
Note: there should be a possibility to "reset all options to factory defaults" somewhere.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #155
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys
 
Inemi's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
Karma: 5810
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: europe
Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
If I may suggest something ... introduce a single global "Advanced Options" setting (somewhere in the "top-main menu", valid for all "sub-menus", i.e. one setting for the "whole device").
If it's "off" (should be the "factory default"), the user will get just the most "basic" options everywhere (good for "novice users"). If someone switches it "on", you can display as many options as needed (good for "experienced users").
One could also imagine a "Level of Experience" option (instead of a simple "on" / "off" for "Advanced Options") ... something like the "Dreyfus model of skill acquisition" ...
1 = "Novice" ("factory default"), 2 = "Advanced Beginner", 3 = "Competent", 4 = "Proficient", 5 = "Expert", 6 = "Master", 7 = "???", ..., 9 = "Hacker" ... or something like "The Seven Stages of Expertise in Software Engineering" ... 1 = "Innocent / Naive", 2 = "Exposed / Aware", 3 = "Apprentice / Student", 4 = "Practitioner / Apprentice", 5 = "Journeyman", 6 = "Master", 7 = "Researcher / Expert", ..., 9 = "Hacker"
Note: there should be a possibility to "reset all options to factory defaults" somewhere.
First, thank you booxtor for this update, it works fine.

Second, you should divide in basic and advanced options. Basic ones (the most used) requires a graphic interface, the second, for advanced users, just needs a configuration text file where at each line there are questions like "Do you want an exit confirm?" yes/no, as always in linux. To simplify editing, this file should be in the internal and mounteble partition.
Instead a graphical interface for options you click only 1 time is useless and wastes screen space.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #156
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 116
Karma: 6899
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
A simple text file with configuration options would be fine if and only if there was an easy way to edit that file on the device itself. Otherwise a "long" menu with all advanced configuration options would be much more suitable.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #157
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Dear Booxtor!
Thank you for the update!
Please tell me if the problem of unexpected loss of annotations has been solved or not by it. It's really important for me, because I'm reading scientific articles.
Another question is: After updating the PDF reader can I choose the option of using the old PDF reader? (I mean the one with which my device was shipped by you approx. 3 weeks ago).
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
.boox folder will be created in every new folder automaticaly. It contains some working information concerning your documents in the folder (reading positions, settings, sketches, highlightings etc.) So please don't remove those folders if you are not going to delete this information.
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #158
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys
 
Inemi's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
Karma: 5810
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: europe
Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
A simple text file with configuration options would be fine if and only if there was an easy way to edit that file on the device itself. Otherwise a "long" menu with all advanced configuration options would be much more suitable.
OTFM can edit text files

@szlevi Q1: there is the changelog, if the problem is not present, it is not been solved
Q2: which one? the old pdfreader? yes
the previous version of the newer one? why would you like to use it?

bye!

Last edited by Inemi; 12-14-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #159
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Dear Inemi!
Thanks you for your answer!
Q1: That's what I was afraid of.
Q2: Yes, the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inemi View Post
OTFM can edit text files

@szlevi Q1: there is the changelog, if the problem is not present, it is not been solved
Q2: which one? the old pdfreader? yes
the previous version of the newer one? why would you like to use it?

bye!
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #160
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Anyone who experienced the same problem with PDF files, not just EPUBS?
I won't change to the new reader software unless I can make sure that I won't lose any annotations.
Thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
I mostly read epubs with pdf-reader (new), and often experience a force close of the app (i.e. the book I'm reading is closed and I find myself on the home page) when I do a dictionary look-up or have added an annotation (not just high-lighting, but also entered some text). When I want to go back reading, the book is closed, I'm on the home-page and when I re-open my book, it's opening on the page where I was when I last opened the book and I have lost every annotation since then.

I can't reproduce this problem every time that I lookup/annotate, but it seems to happen with at least 25% of my annotation (only once in a while during a dictionary look-up).

Someone else who noticed this?
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #161
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Hello!
My i62 HD device is a few weeks old. I haven't refilled the battery of it yet. Should I wait with recharching until it completely runs out of energy? Do I make longer the life of the battery with this method?
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #162
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.Booxtor can talk to the animals.
 
Booxtor's Avatar
 
Posts: 843
Karma: 68878
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by szlevi View Post
Hello!
My i62 HD device is a few weeks old. I haven't refilled the battery of it yet. Should I wait with recharching until it completely runs out of energy? Do I make longer the life of the battery with this method?
Please avoid too deep discharging of a Li-Ion battery.
The best way to extend the lifetime of such a battery is just to charge it occasionaly. It is also not neccesary to charge the battery to 100% either.


Some tipps from Wiki:
Li-Ion batteries last longer if the user avoids deep discharge (depletion) and instead charge more often between uses. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.

Lithium Ion batteries definitely do not need the "conditioning" of being fully discharged and charged the way NiCd and NiMH batteries do.

Li-Ion batteries may last longer if users avoid storing the battery in full discharged state. As the battery will self-discharge over time, its voltage will gradually lower, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it cannot be charged anymore because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it. It is frequently recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #163
inthemood
Connoisseur
inthemood began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 92
Karma: 40
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Hello,

It would be really nice to see the results of an edit (ie- zoom, font, font size, margin, etc…) without leaving the edit menu, allowing to easily correct a setting, or compare different views. It is a standard feature in some other e-readers and I think it would greatly enhance the friendliness of use of the interface of the i62HD Firefly. That and making the icons and the texts of the user interface LARGER.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #164
Manolo
Groupie
Manolo doesn't litterManolo doesn't litterManolo doesn't litter
 
Manolo's Avatar
 
Posts: 161
Karma: 216
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spain
Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemood View Post
Hello,

It would be really nice to see the results of an edit (ie- zoom, font, font size, margin, etc…) without leaving the edit menu, allowing to easily correct a setting, or compare different views. It is a standard feature in some other e-readers and I think it would greatly enhance the friendliness of use of the interface of the i62HD Firefly. That and making the icons and the texts of the user interface LARGER.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
I agree! Both would be great features!
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #165
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Thank you, Booxtor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Please avoid too deep discharging of a Li-Ion battery.
The best way to extend the lifetime of such a battery is just to charge it occasionaly. It is also not neccesary to charge the battery to 100% either.


Some tipps from Wiki:
Li-Ion batteries last longer if the user avoids deep discharge (depletion) and instead charge more often between uses. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.

Lithium Ion batteries definitely do not need the "conditioning" of being fully discharged and charged the way NiCd and NiMH batteries do.

Li-Ion batteries may last longer if users avoid storing the battery in full discharged state. As the battery will self-discharge over time, its voltage will gradually lower, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it cannot be charged anymore because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it. It is frequently recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ONYX BOOX 1.5.1 A60/X60/X60S(onyx-international.com) samerghafik Onyx Boox 4 01-03-2011 01:32 AM
Ended Onyx Boox 60 - NEW pashlit Flea Market 2 08-18-2010 04:27 PM
Onyx Boox in UK - how much and where? m-reader Onyx Boox 2 06-25-2010 02:00 AM
Onyx Boox 60 S Thomasss News 40 03-03-2010 03:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.