Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #901
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
anyone have any ideas? i really want to recover my K3 Wifi w/SO ;-;
It sounds like you need to replace your battery.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #902
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
well. it was fine (as in i could flash all the way thru to the end the rootfs before pulling the battery trying to force-reset it and it had a full charge before i did, and before i ended up causing a mess, it was lasting about a full week if wifi was left on, (idle) and lil over a month idle before it got half-dead w/o wifi on.

only thing i can think of is i adapted my old wall adapter for my router (5V 1.2A with a Polarity (--)---(o---(+) ) for my Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB Model) i could try that (pi uses teh same MicroUSB Connector as the kindle for power) as upto now i've just use dthe stock K3 wall adapter 5v 850mAH

the only things i was doing differntly before pulling the battery.i wasnt renaming the kernel and rootfs images to rootfs and kernel respectively just kept the names they came unziped twice from.

at this stage it'll go into the ATK programming mode and stay there (eventually after about 30mins my 32bit XP Laptop and my x64 Win7 pc see a "SE BLANK Ringo"when i last tried i left t to charge on the Laptop when that occured for another 2 daysit got far enough to flash kernel then it dropped 2 mins into rootfs
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #903
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, it doesn't have to be a battery problem, but it sounds like one. I don't think that your "standby" times do really make a point. In standby, the device is idle, and it is a highly optimized SoC design that will take neglegible power when doing nothing. Upon flashing, however, energy consumption will be up to the maximum level. No power management present at that point. Plus, even one time going to a completely drained battery may harm it enough to never really get up again. There might even be a "dead-battery" detection in the charging circuits (quite likely indeed!), so it won't go to charge the battery ever again, just because it's below a certain threshold.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #904
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I understand it (based on information posted by knc1), when overly discharged (or with damaged firmware), the kindles default to the "20 hour charging curve" when connected to a wall charger. You may need to trickle charge the battery for a full day. And with a bricked kindle, it is possible to discharge the battery enough to damage it, causing it to become a much smaller usable capacity battery. A damaged battery may not be able to hold enough charge to flash the main partition image in one session.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #905
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

i went on a limb ... that everything was poof, Gone. the enitre mmc/sd being blank, and running off at a low level operation. then out of Pure excuse my french Shits and giggles, (yes this time i charged on my wall outlet for a full 24hrs,)3 times it was failing very early on. (sometimes it got past the first stage of writing in k3flasher)

i did reading up on the device name it was showing up as on my windows 7 pc, "SE Blank ringo" that it's in a recovery mode and in this post here someone said it was resetting every 90 seconds, and i belive it wa syou hal, that said it sounded like it was timing out on something.

it dawne din my head. "the partition table is either blank or fowled up and theres just no space left when it hits a certain stage."

i flashed Directly (against one of your better judgemnts in that post for the 3.3 bootloader) in this order 3.3 Bootloader-> Kernel->rootfs. the rootfs just failed as i speak but it lasted awhile instead of almost instantly.

(derp on laptop and i didnt have teh site added to noscript's whitelist, ) heres the pastebin of the progress it made Before failing on rootfs flash

http://pastebin.com/1m7XEBax

ok something diff now, on this linux laptop in usb mode, i get upon now lsusb

"Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1949:0004 Lab126 Amazon Kindle 3" and NOT a SE Blank Ringo"

Bus 001 Device 065: ID 15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. durring flashing

got as far as of 4:05am est to I: writing 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes to address 0x037c1000, waiting for completion... before it droped off but if i held in for 30 seconds it will show up as "Lab126 Amazon Kindle 3" till i press a Button.

this is far more life it has now than when i ended up bricking it. going to ket it charge again.

last edit before bed i again for curosity sake did a lsusb while the K4NT i have atm now is connected, it classifies as another K3 O-o

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-13-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #906
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure I can make much sense of the funny spelled and syntaxed text you wrote, but it's no surprise that the Kindle does not go into USB downloader mode anymore by itself. When you have proper partition table, bootloader and kernel flashed, that's enough to bring up other USB drivers in the Kindle.

When you want to continue, do the calculation with the mentioned address 0x037c1000 - substract initial rootfs offset, and cut of the resulting number of bytes from the beginning of the image. You can then flash the remainder starting at the offset 0x037c1000.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #907
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

what utility should i use to trim the first part of root fs?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #908
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
what utility should i use to trim the first part of root fs?
How about dd?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #909
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
How about dd?
did and it Lives! by thte time it booted back up, the batter was down to 1/4th icon, so now i have a K3 and K4! though the back side is a lil roughed up when opend it up

went to setup Wifi, this is slightly odd. "wifi MAC Address: unavilable"
Serial Number (all 0's)
now this IS a Wifi only, however the teardown showed it had the 3G modem but the SIM slot isnt there, but for "Network Capability it shows Wifi & 3G"

thats teh Only thing i need to fix is Wifi this was done with 3.3 Bootloader image, + 3.4 Kernel and Rootfs surprisingly the MMC was NOT blank, all my books and collections are still there!

ok Apparently it cant Reset to factory defaults either O-o

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #910
geekmaster

Quote:
did and it Lives! by thte time it booted back up, the batter was down to 1/4th icon, so now i have a K3 and K4! though the back side is a lil roughed up when opend it up

went to setup Wifi, this is slightly odd. "wifi MAC Address: unavilable"
Serial Number (all 0's)
now this IS a Wifi only, however the teardown showed it had the 3G modem but the SIM slot isnt there, but for "Network Capability it shows Wifi & 3G"

thats teh Only thing i need to fix is Wifi this was done with 3.3 Bootloader image, + 3.4 Kernel and Rootfs surprisingly the MMC was NOT blank, all my books and collections are still there!

ok Apparently it cant Reset to factory defaults either O-o
If the debricking image was configured for 3G, you kindle will show as having 3G even if it does not have 3G hardware.

Another thread (for the PW) discussed the config file changes used to enable or disable 3G, and would apply similarly for other kindle models as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #911
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

well for now w/o having the serial cable to set the mac address thru Diags, how can i reset the Mac address ? and any idea why it wont factory default? should i at this point try to run the Amazon offical update?

edit: just spoke with Amazon customer Service, i got my serial # and Mac address from them

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #912
geekmaster

Quote:
well for now w/o having the serial cable to set the mac address thru Diags, how can i reset the Mac address ? and any idea why it wont factory default? should i at this point try to run the Amazon offical update?

edit: just spoke with Amazon customer Service, i got my serial # and Mac address from them
idme command? Or dd?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #913
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

how would i use IDME? unless thru USBNetworking

wel i cannot instal USBNetworking unless the 3.4 images in the pastebin allready have a jailbreak and USBNetworking applied. because atm im looking at in Diagnostic mode's Device settings for Serial Number: " t >" is displayed
PCBA ID same garbly gook, same for Manufacturer code and Wifi Mac address

i fought on the phone for 35 mins with amazon Kindle support over these images to just get todl basicly go piss off throw out that kindle and shell out another 140$"

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #914
geekmaster

With a K3, perhaps you can flash the idme var location with a backup copy, using k3flasher and the correct offset. You may need to hand-craft a backup copy with your correct values.
Your idme vars have apparently been overwritten with garbage values. Do you know your correct MAC address?

Most images in the pastebin do not have hacks preinstalled, but it certainly could be done.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #915
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
With a K3, perhaps you can flash the idme var location with a backup copy, using k3flasher and the correct offset. You may need to hand-craft a backup copy with your correct values.
Your idme vars have apparently been overwritten with garbage values. Do you know your correct MAC address?

Most images in the pastebin do not have hacks preinstalled, but it certainly could be done.
yes i can however because of invalid Values for Model, not even an Offical Update will work atm, can there be one crafted?

these were ones i flashed
kernel-3.4
mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys

Tags
debricking