Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Power to you .... !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCommander View Post
making a mobi file from an epub is dead-easy if the epub file is properly formatted.

step 1: download kindlegen from amazon and unzip the file
step 2: open terminal.app from applications/utilities directory
step 3: drag the kindlegen executable (black rectangle icon) into the terminal.app window.
step 4: drag the epub file into the terminal.app window.
step 5: hit the enter/return key

you should get a mobi file in the same directory and with the same name as the epub file.

as mentioned above, using calibre is another option. however, i find calibre to be extremely slow on certain epub files, and competitive with kindlegen on others.

also, being a unix geek, i have a sweet spot for command line tools.
It's a lot easier to use Calibre to convert ePub to Mobipocket. One simple command from the command line and you are done in no time.

ebook-convert eBook.epub .mobi

Wait a few min at most and done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #18
TWiTCommander
TWiTCommander began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Umm... kindlegen is the same:

./kindlegen name.epub

The reason I wrote out the steps is because a lot of Mac users are not adept with Unix like you and me, and basically cry foul when you tell them that a command-line program is a "Mac app". For a lot of these folks, naming something a "Mac app" implies a fancy GUI. You should really go through Amazon's Kindle forums to see posts dating back to when kindlegen for the Mac was released (in March IIRC). There was a lot of howling and moaning with claims like Amazon does not know how to make a Mac app or that they should put more money into developing proper Mac apps (nothing personal).

I would not be surprised if they had the same reaction when you show them calibre. Calibre is a great app, no doubt about it, but Mac purists will claim that it is not a genuine "Mac app" because it does not use Apple's GUI frameworks (I think it uses Qt), and does not follow Apple's UI guidelines, or something like that which does not affect the functionality and usefulness of calibre.

I hope this does not start a flame war. Lots of people do not know the difference between defence and allergy.
TWiTCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Lots of people do not know the difference between defence and allergy.
Seriously?! They're nowhere near the same thing!

Unless you're talking about that hypothesis that the apparent potentially fatal allergy increase in recent decades is due to bored immune systems attacking their host body for want of anything better to do, in which case if I squint and tilt my head sideways, I can kind of see how they might be conflated.

Anyways, one caveat re: using Kindlegen. New 1.1 version for bizarre and unfathomable reasons appends a complete copy of your source files to the end of the generated mobi (can't imagine why), so unless you want horribly bloated files, it's a good idea to use the hidden -donotaddsource option.

Also useful, -c2 for tightest compression, and -unicode for Unicode support.

As a Mac user, I'd have to say that I actually prefer using command-line tools to Calibre.

Not that Calibre isn't an excellent, well-featured app; it's just clunky-looking and slow to load on both my computers and I don't fancy firing it up when I just want to make a few simple changes that could be more quickly done via the Terminal.

ETA: Hey, I just went from Connoisseur to Zealot with this post!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
ETA: Hey, I just went from Connoisseur to Zealot with this post!

... and you don't litter

[hover your mouse over the blue squares under zealot ..... ]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
TWiTCommander

oh. that's why mobi files created by kindlegen are so much bigger than those made by calibre. i'm going to try a few conversions right now!

pipe-dream: may be amazon believes that most/a lot people will be using kindlegen to convert epub to mobi. so, if the mobi contains the epub source, it will be much easier for amazon to put their weight behind epub if that day ever comes. did i mention this was a pipe-dream?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
TWiTCommander

so i ran kindlegen with -donotaddsource -c2 options. files created from epubs are definitely smaller by 50-70%. however, for files created from straight html files (with linked images), the difference is about 5%, most of it probably due to the tighter compression.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #23
LadyWriter
LadyWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
making a mobi file from an epub is dead-easy if the epub file is properly formatted.

step 3: drag the kindlegen executable (black rectangle icon) into the terminal.app window.

you should get a mobi file in the same directory and with the same name as the epub file.

as mentioned above, using calibre is another option. however, i find calibre to be extremely slow on certain epub files, and competitive with kindlegen on others.

downloaded kindlegen no problem ... finding something called terminal.app? PROBLEM! lol I have no such thing on my computer so is this a MAC thing or something? I've been searching for a simple way to strip the DRM off my Kindle books and haven't found anything yet!
LadyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #24
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWriter View Post
downloaded kindlegen no problem ... finding something called terminal.app? PROBLEM! lol I have no such thing on my computer so is this a MAC thing or something?
Terminal.app is indeed a Mac program. Windows equivalent would be the DOS command-line, only not quite (probably need Cygwin installed). As regards your other point, I'm afraid we can't really discuss that in very much detail on the MR forums.

However, you'll need a different set of tools for that, which can be located readily enough elsewhere. Kindlegen's just for creating new Mobi files, not making changes to old ones.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #25
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Unfortunately, if you want to strip DRM you'll have to learn to use the Terminal. You will find it in the Applications folder, in the Utilities sub-folder.

Make a Google search for mobidedrm. It's a Python script that you will need to execute from the Terminal in order to remove drm from mobi books, including Kindle books. But first, the hard part, for Kindle, is to get your device's PID, which is a unique identifier assigned to your Kindle and that you need to decrypt. I don't have a Kindle, so I can't help you with that, but again, Google and MobileRead should help.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
TWiTCommander

well... mobi files should work on a kindle since it is the native format. most drm'ed epub files are protected by adobe's adept drm scheme. to learn more, do a web search for inept cabbage. it's usually the first link.

as far as most of the apps for getting around drm, these are usually command-line apps because they are usually made by sigle-person teams working parttime on it, and the programs iterate very fast to keep up with changes in drm schemes and to fix bugs. these guys have very little time to build a gui.

also, most computers run windows, and so most gui programs will be windows-specific. a command-line app is much easier to port between windows/mac/linux/bsd if written properly.

i find the command-line tools to be rather simple, as i grew up using ms-dos. i would say that some exposure to a command-line environment will make using these tools much easier. however, the mac allows drag-and-drop between finder.app and terminal.app, making things much easier.

dear mods: i hope saying something that seems as random as inept cabbage does not break forum rules. by the way, how does the recent ruling by the librarian of congress affect discussions of drm-circumvention to promote interoperability, e.g., convert a sony store ebook to read on a kindle?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #27
LadyWriter
LadyWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, I had no problem with cabbages for the Adobe ePub book I purchased now on my Kindle. I want to convert Kindle books to ePub which isn't as easy apparently! lol thanks anyway!
LadyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #28
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Thanks so much for this TWiTCommander. I most certainly DON'T have a sweet spot for command-line tools. In fact, I was terrified of them, but your instructions made me realize that it's not scary at all. I followed them, and it worked!
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #29
petejay
petejay began at the beginning.

Device: Kundle
Quote:

I have exactly done, what you said. Most of the time it really works great. Thank you very much! The layout of the mobi file is nearly exactly the same than the original epub file. (In calibre it doesnt work so well).

But now I have a problem, I have the following error, posted in the terminal:

Fehler(prcgen):E23005: Sprache nicht in den Metadaten angegeben. Das Feld "dc:Language" ist ein Pflichtfeld. Abbruch.

I hope you speak german. The error says that the metadatas about the language are not given. 'The field 'dc:language' is not a noun.

Could you help, what do I have to do?

Best and thanks
Pete
petejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It means exactly what it says: that the "dc:language" field in the OPF file (a mandatory metadata item) isn't there. Edit the OPF file in the ePub and add it. Its value should be a standard ISO language code, such as "en-GB" for British English, or "de-DE" for Germany.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote