Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
redrock
Junior Member
redrock began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Kindle touch
Where are the Kindle Paperwhite screensavers stored?

I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and I have not yet registered it with Amazon. In a way I would prefer never to do so because I put all books via calibre onto the Kindle. But it looks I need to have it registered in order for being able to organize my books in collections.

I am worried that once I register the Kindle all the beautiful screensavers that are now on the Kindle will get replaced with ads. Correct? Therefore I would like to save them onto my computer, disable wireless after registration, delete all ads from the Kindle and put the original screensavers on it again.

However, I don't find these screensavers on the Kindle. I have it connected to a Mac with OS X 10.8.2 and I made all invisible files visible. I therefore can see the complete file system on the Kindle (or don't I?) - and I don't find any screensavers.

Where are the screensavers? What to I do or think wrong?

My Kindle came with firmware version 5.3.0 - is there any reason to update to 5.3.1?

What is good about jailbreaking a Kindle?

Thanks!

Last edited by redrock; 12-08-2012 at 07:54 PM.
redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DuckieTigger's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,889
Karma: 33384368
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: PW1, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10
Jailbreaking will never get rid of the ads. If you don't like them, the one and only way to get rid of them is to pay the small fee to Amazon. And no, of course you cannot see the complete file system on your Kindle simply by connecting over USB. You won't get any help on how to remove the ads any other way. And you are correct - collections only work once the device is registered.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
redrock
Junior Member
redrock began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Kindle touch
Ok, thanks. What happens to the original screensavers once I register the Kindle? Are they gone and replaced by ads? If so, can I go back to them by resetting the Kindle?
redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DuckieTigger's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,889
Karma: 33384368
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: PW1, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
Ok, thanks. What happens to the original screensavers once I register the Kindle? Are they gone and replaced by ads? If so, can I go back to them by resetting the Kindle?
I believe they do not get deleted. If you pay to have ads removed you get your screensaver back. Not sure if deregistering works, but it should. You will loose access to your collections though until you register again.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
SquiddOhio
Enthusiast
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.
 
Posts: 42
Karma: 151030
Join Date: May 2012
Device: Kindle Touch
Inasmuch as the Kindle screen does not need to be "saved" from energy use or from burn-in when it is not in use, is there not a more appropriate term for this group of images?
Besides, ever since toasters started to fly, "screensavers" always move.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ixtab's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,903
Karma: 6677559
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and I have not yet registered it with Amazon. In a way I would prefer never to do so because I put all books via calibre onto the Kindle. But it looks I need to have it registered in order for being able to organize my books in collections.
Officially, yes. Unofficially, no - if you jailbreak it and use Collections Manager.

Quote:
I am worried that once I register the Kindle all the beautiful screensavers that are now on the Kindle will get replaced with ads. Correct? Therefore I would like to save them onto my computer, disable wireless after registration, delete all ads from the Kindle and put the original screensavers on it again.
Only if you bought the SO version. Even then, you can disable the ads by paying Amazon 20(?) dollars.

Quote:
However, I don't find these screensavers on the Kindle. I have it connected to a Mac with OS X 10.8.2 and I made all invisible files visible. I therefore can see the complete file system on the Kindle (or don't I?) - and I don't find any screensavers.

Where are the screensavers? What to I do or think wrong?
You won't find them, because you're only seeing a very small part of the filesystem. To get access to all the files, you'll need to jailbreak it and access the device through USB network. The (non-SO) screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
My Kindle came with firmware version 5.3.0 - is there any reason to update to 5.3.1?

What is good about jailbreaking a Kindle?
About the update, it's personal preference, but I guess that in the long run, you'll be better off with 5.3.1. Concerning jailbreaking, see above.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ixtab's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,903
Karma: 6677559
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
Inasmuch as the Kindle screen does not need to be "saved" from energy use or from burn-in when it is not in use, is there not a more appropriate term for this group of images?
Besides, ever since toasters started to fly, "screensavers" always move.
"Sleep screens". But even Amazon calls them screensavers
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
axelPW2
Member
axelPW2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 23
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2014
Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You won't find them, because you're only seeing a very small part of the filesystem. To get access to all the files, you'll need to jailbreak it and access the device through USB network. The (non-SO) screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, as far as I can tell.
Indeed the screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ as I can see them via KUAL and Kindle Explorer. Unfortunately I cannot access that location on my pc with Windows Explorer as I would like to copy them for visualization on my pc. Any hint on how to do that, please? Thank you!
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are Kindle Highlights Stored? emellaich Kindle Developer's Corner 9 10-21-2012 10:24 PM
Hacks Kindle 4 nt screensavers EightWeight Amazon Kindle 12 02-17-2012 11:22 PM
what stored sell kindle DX Gardenman Amazon Kindle 2 01-22-2012 11:08 PM
screensavers on new Kindle jpcapili Amazon Kindle 3 10-14-2011 04:22 PM
Are you looking for screensavers for your kindle? Barney Stinson Lounge 1 01-13-2011 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.