Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
junobeach
junobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo rattles when tilted/shaken

Anyone else have this?

When I tilt my Glo from one side to the other it makes a thudding/knocking noise like something is moving inside it. I can also replicate it by shaking it lightly (not that I would want to do that)

By the sound of it it's like the entire screen is slightly loose in the frame, but I can't move it with my fingers so I know it's not that.

It seems to work fine otherwise, though it has crashed once. I didn't get it through a traditional retailer (it was a rewards site for my credit card) so I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of returning it if it will work despite this flaw.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
junobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
rashkae
Addict
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Probably battery come loose. Should be returned for warranty replacement.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
EldRick
Addict
EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (Sony PRS-950, Nook STR, Kobo Touch, K-DX, K-3)
At least two others have reported this issue on the Forum. You need a replacement before it fails completely.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
junobeach
junobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura about

Alright thanks guys. I got it through TD rewards and they are looking into getting me a replacement. Chances are I'll end up having to RMA it, that will be a pain over Christmas.

I love the unit but if this is going to shorten its lifespan I should get it replaced asap
junobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I wonder if a few batches of these sat somewhere cold and the adhesive holding the batteries let lose? If you were willing to take a minor risk, I bet you could run your thumbnail around the rear cover, pop it off and stick the battery back on the stickum. Of course, that would no doubt void your warranty -how they would ever know is beyond me...

OTOH, you've doubtless already voided your warranty by tilting or shaking your Glo!

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-09-2012 at 02:57 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
seedyeh
seedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipse

hi

i had the exact same issue as you. I emailed kobo outlining the problem and sent in a few pictures of my receipt + kobo. They sent out a replacement kobo right away (arrived within 10 days)

Oddly enough, the clunking sound seemed to disappear as I was using it more. However, I sent the 'defective' one in anyway as I didn't want it to become an issue down the line.

i agree that it's probably an adhesive issue. Regardless, it shouldn't happen and should be an inexpensive fix for Kobo (to add more/strong adhesive)
seedyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
jorma
jorma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm having the same issue. Contacted Kobo Glo customer support (see transcript). Will update when I hear from them / get a verdict.

================================

Hi, my name is Johnny C. How may I help you?
Jorma: Something's loose inside my Kobo Glo
Johnny C: I'm sorry to hear that you are having that inconvenience. There should not sound anything on the devices. Did you just get the dviice?
Jorma: In december.
Johnny C: Didn't you take it to the retailer right away after getting it out of the box?
Jorma: It didn't make any sounds then.
Jorma: It does now...
Johnny C: Was the device dropped or something happened to it? I am sorry to ask you this, but our devices don't have any loose or small part to be sounding.
Jorma: No. Nothing like that.
Johnny C: You shake the device and it sounds like a rattle?
Jorma: It still works fine. Just makes an annoying ticking sound when you move it around (shake it)
Jorma: Yes, something moves inside.
Johnny C: Well, that is weird, for they don't have any thing that can be loose on them...... Let me know what we do in that case, just a moment, please
Jorma: Sure.
Johnny C: .
Johnny C: Ok, Jorma, I have asked around and there is a chance that there was nothing to do here, since the device is working fine and that the noise was not present from the very beginning of having it.
Johnny C: However, if there was a software issue like the device stops working or something, that would be different
Jorma: So no now what? That's it?
Jorma: And why would that be different?
Johnny C: Because the e-reder was ok at the beginning. It sounds like physical damage caused by a dropped, at least it sounds like that the way you describe the whole thing. If this is correct, then there is no warranty that covers for that.
Jorma: Or... it is a defect that only came to light now. If you bought a car and after a week or two of normal use it developed a rattle would that mean it was your fault because it didn't rattle when you bought it?
Jorma: I just Googled it by the way: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198748
Johnny C: Ok, for your satisfaction I can start the process, but if its a [physical damage I can't assure you it will get replaced
Jorma: Let's go
Johnny C: ok
Johnny C: After we stop this chat you will receive an email stating that the issue has been escalated and there will be a series of questions you will have to answer
Jorma: Ok
Johnny C: once you answered them, please send the email back to us
Jorma: K
Johnny C: and then you will be contacted by the Tier 2 department to tell you what the next step is
Jorma: Got it
Johnny C: Ok. Thank you for contacting Kobo.
Jorma: Thank you
Johnny C: Have a nice day\
Jorma: You too
Johnny C: Bye.
Jorma: Bye
'Jorma' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').
jorma is offline   Reply With Quote