Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
[New Firmware] Kindle Fire 2 10.2.3 & Kindle Fire HD 7.2.2

Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) Software Update Version 10.2.3

Here

The software update includes:

Swype. Swype is a keyboard feature that provides a fast way to enter text. It lets you create a word by drawing through letters. Swype also provides additional keyboard functions like copy and paste and the ability to change the keyboard language.
Kindle FreeTime Unlimited. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited is a subscription service you can choose to sign up for within Kindle FreeTime. Parents can subscribe children's profiles to a wide variety of videos, apps, and games appriate for ages 3-8. For more information, see www.amazon.com/freetimeunlimited.

Kindle Fire HD 7" Software Update Version 7.2.2

Here

The software update includes:

Camera app. You can now use the front-facing web camera to take pictures of yourself with an included camera app in the Photos library.
Swype. Swype is a keyboard feature that provides a fast way to enter text. It lets you create a word by drawing through letters. Swype also provides additional keyboard functions like copy and paste and the ability to change the keyboard language.
Kindle FreeTime Unlimited. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited is a subscription service you can choose to sign up for within Kindle FreeTime. Parents can subscribe children's profiles to a wide variety of videos, apps, and games appriate for ages 3-8. For more information, see www.amazon.com/freetimeunlimited.
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Swype is awful. Nice catch by nprentiss of the changing documentation yesterday though. We knew the update was coming.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Swype is awful. Nice catch by nprentiss of the changing documentation yesterday though. We knew the update was coming.
Agreed! I use SwiftKey as my prefer keyboard though the default Kindle Fire keyboard isn't bad.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I noticed my KFHD7-32 was upgraded last night to firmware version 7.2.2.

Where is the Swype app? I opened the keyboard in an app and didn't see anything different except for a "globe" key on the space bar. I tapped it and a space was inserted in my text.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
trying swype now and it's way slower than touch typing. It works directly on the regular keypad if you drag over the letters. Vaguely amusing, but not practical. The long presses for the symbols are now distributed all over the keypad -- with the hyphen over the z, and the ampersand over the a, for example.

Not sure what else has changed, but it seems easier to thumb type now...
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprentiss View Post
trying swype now and it's way slower than touch typing. It works directly on the regular keypad if you drag over the letters. Vaguely amusing, but not practical. The long presses for the symbols are now distributed all over the keypad -- with the hyphen over the z, and the ampersand over the a, for example.

Not sure what else has changed, but it seems easier to thumb type now...
Now I see it. Touch typing is still faster than the swype. A long hold on each alpha key prints an alternate key and a very long hold brings up a choice of FOUR alternate keys.

Is there a way to see the four alternate keys for each alpha key other than just trial and error?

I found the camera icon on the photo section. However, it's really useless since one, normally, would want to take a photo of something other than oneself. Without a lens facing the other way it has no real use.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I got the update today and started my free trial version of the FreeTime Unlimited.

I didn't even realize there was more to the update...I won't use Swype though as I don't type all that much on it and the stock keyboard is fine.

Swype and similar keyboards are good for phones but a tablet is a pretty large area to swype over when typing...
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I found the camera icon on the photo section. However, it's really useless since one, normally, would want to take a photo of something other than oneself. Without a lens facing the other way it has no real use.
A bunch of teenagers would beg to differ.

But yeah, it's good for video chats, using weird picture apps, etc. Otherwise useless.

They keep trying to change the keyboard layout on us! They should just use the standard Android one and be done with it. And maybe do something like the iPad one where you can undock the keyboard and have it a little higher so it's easier to type.

EDIT: Looks like another update is in the works...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=1765284

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 6, 2012-- For years features such as text-to-speech and adjustable font sizes have helped vision-impaired Kindle owners enjoy books more easily and those with learning disabilities to improve their reading skills. Today, Amazon announced that it is bringing “Voice Guide” and “Explore by Touch”—two new accessibility features previously available on Kindle Fire HD 8.9”—to its new standard definition Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7”. These features help vision-impaired customers to more easily navigate the menus and content on the device, enjoy books and audiobooks, and listen to music. These features have been available with Kindle Fire HD 8.9” since its release and will be made available on the standard definition Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7” early next year.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 12-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Anybody know if Graffiti wil work on the Fire HD?

JR
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
KindleMama
KindleMama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I am SO jazzed about the Swype upgrade!!!
KindleMama is offline   Reply With Quote