Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Lenovo Idea Pad?

I just ordered a Lenovo Idea Pad S2109. I wanted a 9.7 inch screen with 4:3 aspect ratio so I can read PDFs. For reading I don't much like the 16:9 aspect ratio devices. It has 16GB with an SD slot. Have never owned a tablet before, nor have I ever owned an Android device. I was hoping to find some sort of eInk device in that size, but there are only a few and they're kind of clunky. I tried the JetBook Color, and returned it.

I'm also sort of fed up with Kindle. Have had nothing but trouble trying to get my Kindle 2 fixed within the proprietary parameters set up by Amazon and it's just impossible. Can't even register it with a new MOBO because they insist you have to buy a new one if it breaks... even if you *can* repair it.

I also considered an iPad but they're so expensive. I could buy two of these Lenovos for the price of one iPad.

Anyway, what's the opinion on the Idea Pad? I read a few reviews but the only negative thing said was about the screen on the A2109 and it's not clear to me that it's even the same screen as the S2109, although they're both LCDs.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
I have an idea tablet K1 it is ideal for djvus and scanned pdfs, a bigger screen would be nice for text based pdfs.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I haven't seen the Idea Pad, but it looks a close match to my Touchpad in specs and 4:3 aspect. The Touchpad makes a great Android tablet, so I think you're going to really enjoy the Lenovo.

Let us know what you think. I'm impressed that it's got four speakers.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I haven't seen the Idea Pad, but it looks a close match to my Touchpad in specs and 4:3 aspect. The Touchpad makes a great Android tablet, so I think you're going to really enjoy the Lenovo.

Let us know what you think. I'm impressed that it's got four speakers.

Graham
Beyond the difference between stereo and monaural I can't tell the difference with multiple speakers. I guess I'm just not that refined. Maybe if I were a little one-inch tall guy standing in the middle of the screen it'd make a difference.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Beyond the difference between stereo and monaural I can't tell the difference with multiple speakers. I guess I'm just not that refined. Maybe if I were a little one-inch tall guy standing in the middle of the screen it'd make a difference.
I expect it will be using a pair each for stereo treble and bass response, so it should give a brighter sound with more depth and 'oomph' than a single mono speaker.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Yes I do love it, my eink readers are not being used much at all.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
I have the A2109 and I love it! Its extremely powerful. No lag at all. I have heard tech reviewers talk about the screen. If you tilt the screen beyond the norm to properly view the screen, the colors wash out. Other than that, the screen is good. Please be advised ts a bit heavy so after a while, it may become a little uncomfortable for reading.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would love to hear from anyone with the A2107. I've got one sitting here that I haven't opened yet (it's a gift for my daughter). Reviews are scarce.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I opened the Lenovo....it is so nice!!! Of course it is the first real Android tablet we've had, so I can only compare to Kindle Fire and Nook Color+n2a. Not sure if I want to give it to my daughter LOL. She will have to share!

A few things that make it better than the Fire....SD card slot and volume buttons on the side....camera....way faster than the NC ever was (so glad I sold that thing). I set a few things up, but need to charge it and get it put away until tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I've not had the best of luck with some lenovo laptops. I couldn't really see myself getting a lenovo tablet, unless it was gifted to me.

A couple bad experiences soured that brand for me.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

For the price, the Lenovo A107 is fantastic. Now to wait for the case which is due next week or the week after. I put a 32gb card in it, which brings it to 40gb. Should be room for all the books and apps my daughter could possibly want!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well I think this Lenovo A2107 has only 2gb set aside for apps. That is stupid. May have to see about rooting it or repartitioning it or something. I was putting on a FEW games and ran out of space already. I moved everything I was allowed to move to "usb storage" and freed up a little space. I don't even know if USB storage is the same as SD card storage, as it shows different storage usage for both. Grrr.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Despite my whining, I still like the A2107. Strongly considering an A2109 for my birthday in March. The micro Hdmi slot tempts me. I'd like to find it on sale, though.\

----
I changed the "write to" to SD card, and now I can move some apps to SD card after installing. Hopefully that will allow me to install more apps.

-----update...nope, won't get an A2109. Comparing the A2107 with the Kindle Fire 2nd generation (non HD) the Kindle Fire is much better on the eyes, and has a faster interface. It might have to do with the refresh rate. Will have to see if there is a way to change it on the Lenovo. I really don't like it much at all. My daughter likes it so that's all that matters.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-01-2013 at 06:55 AM.