Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
cmw0829
Junior Member
cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 733254
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Device: None
Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or Nook HD

Hi everybody - so happy to have found this forum. And hoping you can advise me.

I've borrowed a Nook HD for inspection and finding it oh-so closed down. But I love it for borrowing library books as I can sideload them from my PC and use them with the Nook reader, which I like much better than the Overdrive reader.

It seems that the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 are more open devices primarily for downloads but I cant seem to put a finger on the reading aspect, which was why I started this hunt in the first place. But I'm liking the other uses it would offer.

So, my questions are the following:

Are there downloadable readers (or built in for that matter) that provide a Nook-like experience - font adjustment, text size, margins, backgrounds, search functions and smooth, fast page turns? I found Bluefire which has a download for Android and have seen others mentioned in the forums.

As well, when I borrow library books, I download to Adobe Digital Editions and then copy the epub file from my PC to the Nook. Can the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy handle this as well?

And then the expandable memory of the Samsung - I'm not a big buyer of books, movies, etc. but would be likely to download apps. I have two to three library books on a device at a time. Based on this usage, would 32 gb non-expandable be sufficient? I like the Nexus 7 better than the Samsung but the space limitation is concerning.

Many thanks in advance - and apologies for the long post.
Cathy
cmw0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
SeaKing's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Karma: 2058993297
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Hi everybody - so happy to have found this forum. And hoping you can advise me.

I've borrowed a Nook HD for inspection and finding it oh-so closed down. But I love it for borrowing library books as I can sideload them from my PC and use them with the Nook reader, which I like much better than the Overdrive reader.

It seems that the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 are more open devices primarily for downloads but I cant seem to put a finger on the reading aspect, which was why I started this hunt in the first place. But I'm liking the other uses it would offer.

So, my questions are the following:

Are there downloadable readers (or built in for that matter) that provide a Nook-like experience - font adjustment, text size, margins, backgrounds, search functions and smooth, fast page turns? I found Bluefire which has a download for Android and have seen others mentioned in the forums.

As well, when I borrow library books, I download to Adobe Digital Editions and then copy the epub file from my PC to the Nook. Can the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy handle this as well?

And then the expandable memory of the Samsung - I'm not a big buyer of books, movies, etc. but would be likely to download apps. I have two to three library books on a device at a time. Based on this usage, would 32 gb non-expandable be sufficient? I like the Nexus 7 better than the Samsung but the space limitation is concerning.

Many thanks in advance - and apologies for the long post.
Cathy
All 3 of the tablets are splendid machines. Very capable. Will do anything. Yes people will argue about this screen and that, many of the details, but essentially each is a great choice.
I am not certain of what you said about expandability, so I will just state it again myself.
Of the 3 systems only the Nexus is closed and doesn't have removable memory like an SD/MMC card. Google wants you to use their own very special cloud. And it is a nice cloud.

The other 2 tablets have removable memory and can also use clouds in a more limited manner.

The Nexus is a fine machine. I am getting one for a relative for Christmas. I talked about "removable memory" but the relative wanted a Nexus. I am going to pay $199 plus tax/ship for a 16GB internal memory, and if they want more memory, they will add the extra funds themselves. i.e. I will just send the money. Easier that way on every one.

I don't care how many books you have, 32GB is more than enough. Of course it does depend on the form, but usually the books I get are 1 Meg or less. That would be 32,000 books. If you got a 10 Meg book, that would be 3,200 books on your tablet. Now pictures take more room, and comics or magazines will start to eat up your memory but only after hundreds of books.

The real problem with memory is with movies.
Movies usually take about 1GB. Less for some, more for HD, BluRay type. You might fill up that memory with 5 big movies.

But the point is don't fret at all about books with 32GB worth of memory.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
cmw0829
Junior Member
cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmw0829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 733254
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Device: None
Many thanks for the reply seaking. Yes I was talking about external SD card memory. I appreciate the perspective on the GB. I have to shake the PC mentality of GB.
cmw0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Martyd
Connoisseur
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 86
Karma: 763426
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Black,nexus 7
I own a 16 GB Nexus and am really enjoying it. I have ordered a OTG cable and downloaded a Media app that will do videos, pictures and music, from a stick USB memory. I'm hoping it all works out. Reports on line are good.
Just something to keep in mind if you go with the Nexus and find that the memory is getting tight. It's a low cost solution.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
SeaKing's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Karma: 2058993297
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Many thanks for the reply seaking. Yes I was talking about external SD card memory. I appreciate the perspective on the GB. I have to shake the PC mentality of GB.
Quote:
I have to shake the PC mentality of GB
Hey, man. Don't we all. Right now I am running an interesting experiment. I bought a used phone, a Motorola Droid 1 for $36. I am using it for a small mini tablet. No phone activation. I didn't even realize it when I got it, but it doesn't really have much internal memory. The 16GB it was talking about in the specifications all over the web was on a 16GB SD card that shipped with the original phone. So I got a 32GB SD card and I am good to go.
I just use a feature phone for talking and the occasional text and go with WiFi in all the restaurants, motels, etc., with the Droid 1. Also I have a netbook but it is easier just to have the phone sized devices in your pocket at all times.

Quote:
Martyd -- I own a 16 GB Nexus and am really enjoying it. I have ordered a OTG cable and downloaded a Media app that will do videos, pictures and music, from a stick USB memory. I'm hoping it all works out. Reports on line are good.
Just something to keep in mind if you go with the Nexus and find that the memory is getting tight. It's a low cost solution.
That will work. There are always questions about whether you have to transfer from the USB memory to the internal to do some things. People here on mobileread talk about that, but I don't know.

There is always the downside of having attachments, and things hanging off other things, but heck, I have carried a car/craft jump box to power some of my electronics.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 85
Karma: 750010
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I mainly use the Kindle app on a Nexus 7, it's serviceable. I wish there were more font and margin choices but the syncing options for multiple devices is excellent as is the speed of page turns and searches.

I borrow ebooks from the library using a browser and OverDrive. I couldn't get the borrowed ebooks into Bluefire though but I didn't try very hard. I guess you can borrow books directly from within OverDrive, but haven't tried that yet.

The N7 has a screen flickering issue but I noticed if you turn off the wifi, it's gone. Probably interference from the WiFi radio. Not everyone has this, but it's a common topic on discussion boards.

I have many books that I photographed and saved to Google Picasa and the photo app works pretty well as a "reader".

There's no Stanza as there is for iOS, but there is Aldiko and Moon Reader for Android.

I like the N7 because it is "backed" by Google - it gets the latest OS upgrades, works very well with Google services like maps, mail, photos, etc... Great value buy.

Like Martyd, I'm also going to get an OTG cable and Media importer to watch movies off flash drives.

Last edited by menevets; 12-06-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: movies
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
SeaKing's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Karma: 2058993297
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
I mainly use the Kindle app on a Nexus 7, it's serviceable. I wish there were more font and margin choices but the syncing options for multiple devices is excellent as is the speed of page turns and searches.

I borrow ebooks from the library using a browser and OverDrive. I couldn't get the borrowed ebooks into Bluefire though but I didn't try very hard. I guess you can borrow books directly from within OverDrive, but haven't tried that yet.

The N7 has a screen flickering issue but I noticed if you turn off the wifi, it's gone. Probably interference from the WiFi radio. Not everyone has this, but it's a common topic on discussion boards.

I have many books that I photographed and saved to Google Picasa and the photo app works pretty well as a "reader".

There's no Stanza as there is for iOS, but there is Aldiko and Moon Reader for Android.

I like the N7 because it is "backed" by Google - it gets the latest OS upgrades, works very well with Google services like maps, mail, photos, etc... Great value buy.

Like Martyd, I'm also going to get an OTG cable and Media importer to watch movies off flash drives.
Sounds like you are good to go.
I too like Google. That is why my next "netbook" will be a "Chromebook." I have decided to wait and see what the 3rd Chromebook offering this holiday season looks like. It is supposed to have touch screen which I don't care much about, but for the future when Chrome and Android converge it may be useful.
To see what I talk about look on "News" and I have a thread.

But anyway, what I was meaning to say is that the Chromebooks do have card slots, and the C7 has a 320GB HD.

Yeah, I like memory. AND battery. Back in the day, I used to get stuck on ships, on bases out in never never land, and if you didn't bring it with you, you did without.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 85
Karma: 750010
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Sounds like you are good to go.
I too like Google. That is why my next "netbook" will be a "Chromebook." I have decided to wait and see what the 3rd Chromebook offering this holiday season looks like. It is supposed to have touch screen which I don't care much about, but for the future when Chrome and Android converge it may be useful.
To see what I talk about look on "News" and I have a thread.

But anyway, what I was meaning to say is that the Chromebooks do have card slots, and the C7 has a 320GB HD.

Yeah, I like memory. AND battery. Back in the day, I used to get stuck on ships, on bases out in never never land, and if you didn't bring it with you, you did without.
I looked at the newest Samsung and Asus Chromebook last week and the Samsung is sweet @ $250. If you know you'll have wifi all the time, it's a good deal. It has offline capabilities as well and the app store has an offline category.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lemurion's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,617
Karma: 4426814
Join Date: Aug 2007
Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Hey, man. Don't we all. Right now I am running an interesting experiment. I bought a used phone, a Motorola Droid 1 for $36. I am using it for a small mini tablet. No phone activation. I didn't even realize it when I got it, but it doesn't really have much internal memory. The 16GB it was talking about in the specifications all over the web was on a 16GB SD card that shipped with the original phone. So I got a 32GB SD card and I am good to go.
I just use a feature phone for talking and the occasional text and go with WiFi in all the restaurants, motels, etc., with the Droid 1. Also I have a netbook but it is easier just to have the phone sized devices in your pocket at all times.
I've been using a Droid 1 as a mini-tablet for a bit and it's not been bad at all. Mine has issues with battery life, but it works well enough. Nice crisp screen.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
WillysJeepMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 643
Karma: 2877892
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Kobo Touch, KFHD 7, GTab 2 7.0, Surface RT, iPad4,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've been using a Droid 1 as a mini-tablet for a bit and it's not been bad at all. Mine has issues with battery life, but it works well enough. Nice crisp screen.
I'm using a Galaxy SII Skyrocket as a mini tablet. By enabling airplane mode (not using it as a phone) and enabling wifi only when necessary I can go 5 days of usage before needing to recharge.

I turned an old LG Optimus V (prepaid VirginMobile) into an Android-based media player but flashing a custom ROM (vanilla 2.3 Android) onto it. Without any of the phone-stuff on it, even with WiFi enabled I was getting WEEKS of usage on a single battery charge.

If I decide to commit the SII to that same fate, I imagine that the battery life will be insane (in a good way).
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Tabatha's Avatar
 
Posts: 153
Karma: 1314940
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MA
Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I purchased a Galaxy Tab 7+ 32gb from Amazon refurb for $199.99 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been upgraded to ICS and is reported that it will get Jellybean in or around January. Way better than the newer Tab 2 as it has better cameras, faster processor, flash on back camera and many other features that outshine the newer Tab 2 version. I did put a 32gb card in it also, which makes me set for a longtime.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,111
Karma: 1604192
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paris
Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Got a nexus 7, love it. It didn't replace my cybook for e-reading though. Save for mangas.

Memory, it really depends of what you mean to do. I took the 32G, mainly because the 16G was out of stock.

If your sole purpose is e-reading, you''ll be fine with 16G no problem.
When you begin to watch video / play HD games, there 32G can come in handy.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-10-2012 at 08:02 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Lemurion's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,617
Karma: 4426814
Join Date: Aug 2007
Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm using a Galaxy SII Skyrocket as a mini tablet. By enabling airplane mode (not using it as a phone) and enabling wifi only when necessary I can go 5 days of usage before needing to recharge.

I turned an old LG Optimus V (prepaid VirginMobile) into an Android-based media player but flashing a custom ROM (vanilla 2.3 Android) onto it. Without any of the phone-stuff on it, even with WiFi enabled I was getting WEEKS of usage on a single battery charge.

If I decide to commit the SII to that same fate, I imagine that the battery life will be insane (in a good way).
I get about two weeks or more using it primarily as an alarm clock and in airplane mode. However, if I do anything even half-way intensive, or just turn on the Wi-Fi for a quick browse I can lose 30-60% of a charge in half an hour. I just killed it when I used it as a phone, am sure a new battery would help immensely.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
trishkit
Member
trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
trishkit's Avatar
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 500332
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Device: Cybook Gen3, Kobo original, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I have owned a Nexus 7 for about a month and use Aldiko. I love it! I have been using Dropbox to transfer books from my desktop, which has worked out very well. I prefer to only keep 20 or so books on my readers and store my entire library on my main computer.

I will never give up my Kobo because it is the perfect companion on my camping trips - long lasting battery life, fits in a zip lock for rainy days...you get the idea. The Nexus is fabulous to use on the safe environs of my couch, but I am reluctant to expose it to the elements.
trishkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
SeaKing's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Karma: 2058993297
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've been using a Droid 1 as a mini-tablet for a bit and it's not been bad at all. Mine has issues with battery life, but it works well enough. Nice crisp screen.
Along with the used Droid (and no SD card) they shipped a new charger and a new cable. I realized pretty quick the battery wasn't so good, but $5 later with a new one, it worked very well.

To be truthful, I hadn't thought of "airplane mode." I have just been powering it down when I wasn't using it. Got the habit with the first battery. I think I will start going to airplane mode. Will save some start up time.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2 7" jocampo Which one should I buy? 18 08-10-2012 12:21 AM
Samsung Nexus Tab? David Marseilles Android Devices 3 05-17-2012 03:11 AM
Samsung Galaxy Nexus not detected by Calibre nkit Devices 5 02-17-2012 02:11 PM
Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab handling of PDFs Estuche Android Devices 4 12-03-2010 12:17 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab mgmueller Android Devices 96 11-16-2010 09:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.