Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
wbaynton
wbaynton began at the beginning.

Device: kobo & kindle
Tab To Create A Category?

I've watched each tutorial a few times and done some googling to find an answer to the following if it exists.

What I would like to be able to do is scroll through my library and select titles (not authors) for the purpose of identifying all as a category (i.e. "history"). I can select them, but can't find a way of then matching them to a category that I create. Is there a reasonably simple solution? What I would like to do is have the books in questions highlighted, then right click for a pop up that enables me to name the category they match. I've had to create a category, then (from the manual identification of authors) add the authors for the category, but I often don't want every book of the author in the category I've created...

Unrelated 2nd question. I have 2,400 different tags, inherited from the metadata downloaded. Is there a simple way of ridding myself of these and replacing them with a more manageable number of tags?

Thks.
wbaynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaynton View Post
What I would like to be able to do is scroll through my library and select titles (not authors) for the purpose of identifying all as a category (i.e. "history"). I can select them, but can't find a way of then matching them to a category that I create. Is there a reasonably simple solution?
Once you select all the books you want to add to a category (whatever you mean by category, I'll assume tags) click edit metadata and add the tag to those books or click the custom metadata tab within the edit metadata screen and add whatever metadata you wish to those books selected.

Quote:
Unrelated 2nd question. I have 2,400 different tags, inherited from the metadata downloaded. Is there a simple way of ridding myself of these and replacing them with a more manageable number of tags?
I had a similar problem that I solved using the Goodreads Metadata Source Plugin it allowed me to map the genres from Goodreads into a finite set of tags. When I download metadata I only download tags from Goodreads. I cleared all existing tags (edit metadata) and re-download tags from Goodreads in batches of 100 or so books at a time. I now have a 10,000 book library and only 240 tags.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
wbaynton

Thks. Yes, but only sorta... Wrt 1st reply, I did as suggested, thks; however, it in fact produces a tag (and not a category), so it is buried among the 2,500 other tags, whereas what I would ideally like to have produced is a heading like "Authors" on the left side that, when I click it, will display the titles highlighted to produce its heading... Can that be done i.e. so not buried in with the other tags?

I have not yet tried the plug in solution, but will, with thks.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
What you are looking for is a "Custom Column"...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
wbaynton

If you mean I'm looking to create a column (such as one to indicate books read or not read), definitely not. What I'm looking to do is to create a link (which logically would be located on the left side, much in the same way that I created same from bottom left: alter tag browser>manage authors, tags, etc>manage user categories...
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you mean I'm looking to create a column (such as one to indicate books read or not read), definitely not. What I'm looking to do is to create a link (which logically would be located on the left side, much in the same way that I created same from bottom left: alter tag browser>manage authors, tags, etc>manage user categories...
To do what you are trying to do I think you do want a custom column. Read the Tag browser section of the manual first, then read the Managing subgroups of books, for example “genre” section of the manual for more info that may answer your question.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
wbaynton

I have read the 2 links provided - granted, quickly. Respectfully, that may not do it. If it does, it seems it doesn't overcome the problems cited:

1. Any use of tags presently means that the tag has to compete with all the other tags (thousands). Regardless, from what I can see, any tag is buried among all the other tags i.e. doesn't stand alone on the left side, as is the case with, say, "Authors" i.e. maybe I'd like a collection on the left side that organizes books for "Children's".

2. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a way without the use of tags to easily eliminate the objectionable titles within the choice of any author. For example, let's say that I've identified all books withing 10 authors, except 1 of the authors has 25 titles when I'm only interested in 1 of this author's book.

Am I missing something pls and thks?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
wbaynton

Tab To Create A Category?

Very slick wrt your Yesterday 04:04 AM suggested metadata plugin, thks.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Very slick wrt your Yesterday 04:04 AM suggested metadata plugin, thks.
You're welcome, it works great for me.

Quote:
I have read the 2 links provided - granted, quickly. Respectfully, that may not do it. If it does, it seems it doesn't overcome the problems cited:

1. Any use of tags presently means that the tag has to compete with all the other tags (thousands). Regardless, from what I can see, any tag is buried among all the other tags i.e. doesn't stand alone on the left side, as is the case with, say, "Authors" i.e. maybe I'd like a collection on the left side that organizes books for "Children's".
The links I sent you to primarily dealt with managing user categories via a custom column and had little if anything to do with tags in the tags column.

Quote:
2. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a way without the use of tags to easily eliminate the objectionable titles within the choice of any author. For example, let's say that I've identified all books withing 10 authors, except 1 of the authors has 25 titles when I'm only interested in 1 of this author's book.
As explained in the links you can create your own custom column that acts likes tags and will show up in the tag browser. But I am stuck an not able to see your vision.

Quote:
Am I missing something pls and thks?
I don't think you are missing much I think I may be missing exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I'm going to step back and let someone else have a shot at providing you with the answer you seek.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-03-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
wbaynton

Dr Ohh, do you not understand what I'm seeking? Although wordy, I think I've set it out.

Having now deleted all the tags in my library and wanting to use the installed plug in to refill the tabs from Goodreads, what are the mechanics pls to solely group process only the tabs? i.e. I don't want to have overridden any of the other fields, such as author name when using "Edit metadata in bulk", and haven't yet found a way.

Thks.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Dr Ohh, do you not understand what I'm seeking? Although wordy, I think I've set it out.

Having now deleted all the tags in my library and wanting to use the installed plug in to refill the tabs from Goodreads, what are the mechanics pls to solely group process only the tabs? i.e. I don't want to have overridden any of the other fields, such as author name when using "Edit metadata in bulk", and haven't yet found a way.

Thks.
Have a look at Configure Metadata Download - I think it will allow you to restrict to Goodreads Tags Only - sample attached

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	97215  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Not your fault user categories are an area that I have purposefully avoided. Essentially though user categories are defined by custom columns the user creates.

Quote:
When you select the dropdown arrow next to the edit metadata icon select Download metadata and covers. Then select configure download. Now uncheck everything except tags, see attached images.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	select_download_metadata_and_covers.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	97218   Click image for larger version

Name:	bulk_metadata_download.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	97219   Click image for larger version

Name:	configure_metadata_download.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	97220  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-03-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
wbaynton

BetterRed: So slick, and thks for the image, which helped me find its location.
DoctorOhh: After I tested process, then I saw yours, thks. Funny, I've downloaded maybe metadata a couple of thousand times and not until your image did I see the configure icon...

If organizing titles around a user category is as limited as I understand it - i.e. requiring the use of columns, instead of being able to highlight titles and assign a user category... - from what I've seen, Kovid's smart enough that, once he understands the limitations, he should be able to provide a solution (because many should want to organize that way). Then again, my Master's has nothing to do with IT...

Thks, guys.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
If organizing titles around a user category is as limited as I understand it - i.e. requiring the use of columns, instead of being able to highlight titles and assign a user category...
Once you create the column you might be missing seeing this tab too (see attached). Select whatever titles you want and update the category for all selected via the edit metadata window as I tried to indicate in post 2.

This is why I'm confused, I think something along the lines of the second link I sent you to in post 6 is what you're looking to accomplish (ignore the sub-groups if that is not what you want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edit_metadata_custom.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	97221  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-03-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
wbaynton

DoctorOhh:

LOL.

Wheels within wheels. Per your last, I've reread a few times your referenced 2nd message and attachment in prior message. I have no issues now presently with clearing the field for tabs in titles and refilling with metadata limited to that field (which is what I'm assuming your last message refers to?).

If your message refers to attempting to organize limited titles within authors and combining all under a User Category, then I still don't understand how that might be done using configuration.

Then again, I should message that I was military college, but Air, not Navy... (and Wilmington is nice).