Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Is Earnest a different author than Ernest? Or was Hemingway simply earnest when he wrote his short stories?
pppptttttt!!!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
...pefully not too much).
Print on demand is more problematic....
This is what errata sheets or websites are for.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #33
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
revised costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
GA Russell: Yes they can be "easily" revised (at a cost), but that doesn't do anything for any bad rap you get for getting it wrong in the first place. And it doesn't stop the nerves from worrying - or not mine.
I just did a "revised edition" with CreateSpace (for no cost) that cleaned up a few grammatical errors. The only down side was that the print copy was unavailable for about twelve hours. Perhaps the cost you are referring to are the errors within the so-called "first" edition?

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #34
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I just did a "revised edition" with CreateSpace (for no cost) that cleaned up a few grammatical errors. The only down side was that the print copy was unavailable for about twelve hours. Perhaps the cost you are referring to are the errors within the so-called "first" edition?

L
No, he is using BookBaby who charges him to publish revisions.

Beyond that though the impact to reputation is far greater, IMO.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I chose not to use CreateSpace for POD because they don't print in Australia (and for various other reasons discussed in other threads relating to my location and getting paid and tax etc.). I went with Lightning Source instead and they have an upload/submission fee and a printed proof-copy fee (required for your first book, but optional on subsequent books).

For e-books I'm using BookBaby (again, at least partly, because of those getting paid and tax considerations that effect those of us that don't live within the U.S.), and once again there are fees involved in sending through updates.

For the additional, intangible, but potentially more significant, cost that effects us all, even those in the U.S., I can only reiterate what I said in the post you quoted: "that doesn't do anything for any bad rap you get for getting it wrong in the first place".
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
ValerieduSange
ValerieduSange began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, kindle paperwhite
My understanding is that it takes at least a month before amazon reviews the changes and decides whether the new edition warrants an email or just the option to download the new version on the Manage your kindle page.

I published my book and then a second edition about three weeks later (a beta reader came through with some fantastic suggestions). I figure the people who'd already bought it won't bother with the update, when and if it ever arrives on their Manage pages.
ValerieduSange is offline   Reply With Quote