Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #14611
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Frozen Heat by Richard Castle and it was excellent. More surprise twists than I would have imagined. Arguably the best of the Nikki Heat series.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #14612
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've been reading the first of the 'Border' series by Vince Flynn and it's been holding my interest for the past 400 pages. Another 100 to go, but I'm already looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #14613
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Never hear of the Border series, just Mitch Rapp. What is that about?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #14614
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've been reading the first of the 'Border' series by Vince Flynn and it's been holding my interest for the past 400 pages. Another 100 to go, but I'm already looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Never hear of the Border series, just Mitch Rapp. What is that about?

Sorry... It's the 'Boundary' series, not Border... Senior moment?

EDIT: When it comes to screwing up, I should get a medal... OK, the title is "Boundry" but the author is Eric Flint, not Vince Flynn...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 11-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #14615
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Wow, that took a turn quickly .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #14616
Stitchawl
Opsimath

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Stitchawl
Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #14617
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Today I finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Quite a good read. I highly recommend it.

Quote:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love--a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus...
My next read that I am going to start tonight is Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory

Quote:
A BRAZEN HEIST Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew race to find out who has stolen Data’s android brother B-4—and for what sinister purpose.

A BROKEN PROMISE One desperate father risks all for the son he abandoned forty years ago—but is he ready to pay the price for redemption?

A DARING MISSION Against overwhelming odds, and with time running out, Commander Worf has only one chance to avert a disaster. But how high a price will he pay for victory?

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-15-2012 at 05:52 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #14618
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've got the dvd. Unfortunately the BBC has decided not to continue with the tv series, despite it being popular, because they want to focus on "Original Drama" (stories written especially for tv, not based on novels).
That cannot be true about BBC wanting to focus on original TV instead of novels as one of the more popular series that just ended season 1 is Call the Midwife based on the book. They've already commissioned to shoot season 2.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #14619
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
On Deck: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
I've recently finished that one. Very odd book. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #14620
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, the November selection for the MobileRead Book Club. Some quotes from the book (click here and scroll down for more) were posted yesterday in the "Notable quotes, excerpts, and profound lines" thread by covingtoncat73, showing what an interesting selection this is.

Had over an hour this morning to read while waiting in the long line to vote. Hooray for ereaders!
It is an odd book with each story having a small thread to the others. It's like each story makes a cameo in the others except for the story that started it all.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #14621
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
My current read is Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. Its a pretty good book so far. It is a novel about how genetic engineering in the future creates a caste of people who don't need sleep. It is 99 cents on Kindle. I got it awhile back but never started reading it. I decided to try it when the historical fiction I got from the library didn't keep my attention.
There is one problem with Beggars in Spain. It's the first book in a trilogy and after this first books, Nancy switched publishers after this was written and the other two are not out as eBooks thanks to Tor. So we get number 1 and not numbers 2 & 3.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #14622
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I also just bought 11/22/63 by King... seeing how it dropped below $10 in the Kindle store.

BOb
Move 11/22/63 to the top of your TBR pile. It's very good. Well worth reading.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #14623
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've recently finished that one. Very odd book. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Quote:
There is one problem with Beggars in Spain. It's the first book in a trilogy and after this first books, Nancy switched publishers after this was written and the other two are not out as eBooks thanks to Tor. So we get number 1 and not numbers 2 & 3.
Thanks for the heads up on "Beggars." Bummer.

As to Cloud Atlas. I think most people do not read it correctly. Yes, you can read it as a reincarnation tale but what it is really about it story itself, how the stories we tell create our reality. It is also about how stories (or lives, if you like) can be connected and have an effect far into the future. What I took away was that Cloud Atlas was asking the question can we tell a story that elevates us from the eat or be eaten of the rest of the animal kingdom.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #14624
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
That cannot be true about BBC wanting to focus on original TV instead of novels as one of the more popular series that just ended season 1 is Call the Midwife based on the book. They've already commissioned to shoot season 2.
Maybe they've come back on their decision since, but they gave that as a reason a couple of years back when they cancelled several popular series based on books (I think that was why the Inspector Lynley series was cancelled, too).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #14625
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Like Jon, I'm finding myself wondering if Cloud Atlas was fitting for a sci-fi month. Sure, parts of it take place in the future and involve advanced technology, but that certainly isn't the main thrust of the story. But unlike Jon, I couldn't see it as fantasy, either. It seems to defy classification. There is an undercurrent involving Eastern religious elements.
It feels more like a collection of different genres of stories. That's why the problem classifying it. It's not SF. But it's not fantasy. I would have to classify it as fiction. If I thought this was SF, I would not have fought so hard to get it disqualified. Nobody was able to persuade me that it was SF and any SF type awards it got were as wrong as Jethro Tull getting an award for hard rock/heavy metal.

What actually persuaded me to read Cloud Atlas was the extended trailer I saw. It looked good. But this book was not as good as the trailer.