Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #46
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

Poor little PW, so many little quality control points.
I know, it really is such a shame as it's such a great product otherwise. If it wasn't for these issues, I think it would be an amazing reader. Perfect really. As of now, I'm still pretty happy with my current one though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Glad you got a better unit and an upgare, Daffy.

Before I sent my 4 replacements back, I turned them all on next to the ones I am keeping, and the brightness was not the same even between any two of them. It does not matter much to me, as I never have it on max anyway, I just thought it was interesting.
I also noticed that they fixed the left bottom border vertical light issue on later devices, as only the first ones had that issue, and also that the contrast is better on the later ones.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #48
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Have those with noticeable discolorations tried the new software update? It's said to produce darker and improved fonts while some say that any discolorations seem to be lessened.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...-software.html
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #49
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Have those with noticeable discolorations tried the new software update? It's said to produce darker and improved fonts while some say that any discolorations seem to be lessened.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...-software.html
Yep. No difference. It works on the font but not the screen overall.

I am now returning the newest replacement KPW with the mostly bluish green screen. It just felt muddy when reading because the color blocked to much of the light.

At this time Amazon does not want to send me another replacement "because you've had so many". I asked if someone could inspect a replacement ahead of time and stated that I wouldn't mind if they opened the box. Dylan said he would pass the suggestion along and would contact me if there was some change in the future.

Amazon CS has been great but I'm not a happy camper.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the firmware update makes no difference in the colorations.

Quote:
Yep. No difference. It works on the font but not the screen overall.

I am now returning the newest replacement KPW with the mostly bluish green screen. It just felt muddy when reading because the color blocked to much of the light.

At this time Amazon does not want to send me another replacement "because you've had so many". I asked if someone could inspect a replacement ahead of time and stated that I wouldn't mind if they opened the box. Dylan said he would pass the suggestion along and would contact me if there was some change in the future.

Amazon CS has been great but I'm not a happy camper.
Sorry Daffy. I'm ok with mine, but it's certainly not perfect and it bothers me that I see the discolorations even if they are faint they can by annoying. Rather than return it yet again I had a chat last night with Andrew and he says he will continue to call me every couple weeks to keep me up to date until they have found a solution. It's the best they can do at this point, I think. It's probably pointless though as I personally doubt the color hue problem will be solved in this version of the PW.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #51
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, the firmware update makes no difference in the colorations.

Sorry Daffy. I'm ok with mine, but it's certainly not perfect and it bothers me that I see the discolorations even if they are faint they can by annoying. Rather than return it yet again I had a chat last night with Andrew and he says he will continue to call me every couple weeks to keep me up to date until they have found a solution. It's the best they can do at this point, I think. It's probably pointless though as I personally doubt the color hue problem will be solved in this version of the PW.
Thanks Sparkle, I'm sorry you have to be in the same boat as me. I'll be fine. I keep trying because there are so many people who say they have a bright white screen and are very happy. I'm sticking my theory that some of us are more color sensitive and that all the screens are blotchy to some degree.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #52
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I'm sticking my theory that some of us are more color sensitive and that all the screens are blotchy to some degree.
I believe this to be true as well.

(I should add this is just my personal opinion, of course. I'm certainly not trying to upset anyone.)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #53
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I believe this to be true as well.

(I should add this is just my personal opinion, of course. I'm certainly not trying to upset anyone.)
I also believe this too. Right now I'm happy with my device, flaws and all. I think if it wasn't for coming to these forums and other forums I wouldn't have batted and eyelid when I first got my paperwhite.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sorry, Daffy. That's BTW a crappy answer they gave you: you would not have needed that many replacements if the screens had not been defective.

Strangely, out of the original two ordered, one of the latest replacements I received turned out to have almost no coloration issues (very very faint!), while the other one's intensified after a few days. So, yes, I agree, some of us detect colors more than others (makes me wonder how bland the world must look to some people, not that they know it any other way!!), but there are devices that have almost no coloration. I would not believe it after so many replacements, if I didn't have the proof in my hands.
It's just a matter of QC.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks Xendula. I'm glad you were able to get at least one of the "Unicorn" (to me) KPWs.

I'll probably give old Dylan a call after the holidays to see how things are going (unless he calls me first). Maybe the newer batches after the holiday rush will be better.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #56
elvenic
Enthusiast
elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.elvenic 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Glo
My first Paperwhite had distinct bright pinkish and bluish-greenish blobls in various places on the screen, so I contacted Amazon Kindle support via online chat. After I described how the screen looks like, they send me a replacement.

The replacement device that I received this Monday does not have any multicolor spots. It just has a noticeable brighter right bottom corner, without color hue change, only white intensity. That's probably not a problem with the screen, but that the right-most light gives little bit more intense light comparing to the other three.

On the light level 18, it looks like the most of the screen surface is made of a lower quality newspaper-style paper - not bright white, but dirtier-grayish, and lower right corner, may be 4-5cm. in size, is made of higher quality brighter white paper.

I have not yet decided if this bothers me enough to contact Kindle support again.
elvenic is offline   Reply With Quote