Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 65,432
Karma: 43770933
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Well said, Prof. I completely agree with you.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 62
Karma: 640495
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Hehe, Makes me chuckle.

I'd like to interject, you say Defective by design. I prefer to say GNU/Defective by design.

I love Richard Stallman and muh freedums. Defective by design used to be focused on Apple. It's good to see it getting in on Amazon's drm.
Richard Stallman is an embarrassment to the free and open source software movement and in my mind, has harmed its reputation more than he has helped it.

He is just as dogmatic about not using proprietary software as the Pope is about not using condoms.

I say that as someone who'd prefer it if DRM breaking became legal everywhere tomorrow (thus killing DRM) and someone who is using Linux as their sole operating system.

Stallman is just walking PR disaster, a walking caricature. I wish he'd just find another calling and stop making Linux users look like dogmatic fools.</Rant>
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #48
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
The first article was just a huge quote of the lady, I doubt that it was wrong. It favored her view. Facts are facts. You who probably didn't read it, believe what you want. It was obvious what happened...
The first article that anybody noticed as by Cory Doctorow. He has a habit of not being too diligent about checking his facts on stuff like this, but he was quoting (uncritically) the woman in question, yes. The facts in his post were mostly wrong, irrelevant, or badly misrepresented.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Ask the average person with an ereader about 1984 and I would put good money on the fact that they have no clue what happened. The knowledge that said event happened is highly correlated to how frequently you post on boards like this.
I was in the New York Times. Plenty of people heard about that particular incident.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #50
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,057
Karma: 72252545
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I was in the New York Times. Plenty of people heard about that particular incident.
And you think people read that article and retained that information how many years later?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #51
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And you think people read that article and retained that information how many years later?
That's a moving goalpost from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If the average person knew about the 1984 incident and thought it was a PR problem, the Kindle would not be the top selling ereader In the US. People would fear this type of thing happening and would buya Nook, Kobo, or Sony. So either. Amazon did a great PR job and people are not afraid or Amazon did a Great PR job and most people are clueless because it is a nonissue for the average user.
It hit the mainstream press at the time. People did know about it, it was a PR problem, and it had almost no effect at Kindle sales even in the short term. So, by your logic, people don't care, because the certainly knew.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 7,141
Karma: 4315826
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Linköpng, Sweden
Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The first article that anybody noticed as by Cory Doctorow. He has a habit of not being too diligent about checking his facts on stuff like this, but he was quoting (uncritically) the woman in question, yes. The facts in his post were mostly wrong, irrelevant, or badly misrepresented.
Well, in this case he checked by talking with the woman and in the first article I saw by Doctorow he wrote that the reader was broken.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,057
Karma: 72252545
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
That's a moving goalpost from:



It hit the mainstream press at the time. People did know about it, it was a PR problem, and it had almost no effect at Kindle sales even in the short term. So, by your logic, people don't care, because the certainly knew.
Your comment about bad PR has nothing to do with the original reporting of the mistake but how Amazon handled it. My comment was that the average ereader user who does not post on boards like this one has no idea that the event took place. Which means that Amazon handled it well enough that it is only discussed on sites like this one, where people are a bit obsessive on the topic. And even on sites like this one a fair number of people think it is not going to happen again because it was not well received and Amazon did have to do some serious damage control.

As to the reporting of the orginal incident I would guess that the average ereader user does not read the NY Times (or Wall Street Journal and other similar papers) and that even the ones who did might have missed that article. The Times, like all newspapers, has seen reader numbers dwindle for a long time now. Toss in people who have ereaders for "lighter" reading (romances, mysteries, paranormal vampire stuff and yes I read all three) who might be less inclined to read the Times every day and the people who are more conservative and don't read the Times because it is deemed to liberal and probably a few hundred other stereotypes and you are looking at a small percentage of the overall population that reads the Times and might have the oppertunity to see that particular article. The same can be said for other newspapers.

I have no idea where it was placed in the paper. I consider myself some one who keeps up with the news and I don't read the Times. I know that I learned about what happened on various bulletine boards and not through the newspaper. I do read other news sources but I tend to focus on papers outside of the US since I am more focused on international events and conflicts in my line of work. US reporting, even in the Times and similar papers, sucks so I don't bother with them.

Your argument that the fact that people still mention the 1984 mess on this board is an indication that it was really bad for Amazon does not hold water for me. You are basing that on the fact that the initial event was posted in the main stream press and that means that the vast majority of the public heard about it when it happened. To add to that, you are saying that the fact that it is still discussed on boards today means that it has had a lasting effect.

I am saying that the average ereader user has no clue it happened because they probably didn't read the original story, don't remember the original story all this time later, and do not post on boards were people are obsessive about ereaders and it is brought up as a topic of conversation. Amazon remains the dominant player in the ereader field in the US and a strong player throughout the globe, something that would be less likely if people thought that Amazon would take away their books. Which means people either don't know about the incident and are not worried or Amazon did a fine PR job cleaning up the mess and people are not worried.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #54
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, in this case he checked by talking with the woman and in the first article I saw by Doctorow he wrote that the reader was broken.
That was an update done after he'd started the hysterical whining.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #55
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Your comment about bad PR has nothing to do with the original reporting of the mistake but how Amazon handled it. My comment was that the average ereader user who does not post on boards like this one has no idea that the event took place.
Which just doesn't seem likely for something covered by the NYT. It wasn't an obscure event. It got mainstream press coverage.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,224
Karma: 10210627
Join Date: Jun 2008
Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Which just doesn't seem likely for something covered by the NYT. It wasn't an obscure event. It got mainstream press coverage.
And how many people do you think now remember it, or would be influenced in their decision making by it?
What is the readership of the NYT anyway?
I find it completely plausible that an average consumer wouldn't be aware of a NYT article, and even more so that they wouldn't remember the contents of an article from several years ago.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #57
shalym
Guru
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
shalym's Avatar
 
Posts: 647
Karma: 5570022
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: KPW, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Which just doesn't seem likely for something covered by the NYT. It wasn't an obscure event. It got mainstream press coverage.
However unlikely it may seem to you, the only people I know that know about this having happened know about it from me. It may be that they heard about it when it happened, but we as a society tend to have the attention span of a gnat for anything which doesn't directly affect us. Since it happened a few years ago before e-readers were mainstream, not many people paid attention to it...therefore, to most people, it really wasan obscure event. What news stories do you remember from back then? Do you remember the HUGE corruption bust of politicians that happened? If you don't, you should...it was a pretty big deal, and changed the face and political future of at least one state, and maybe more. Can you name any of the politicians involved (off the top of your head...no fair using google).

My point is...just because something was in the New York Times 3 years ago doesn't mean that people remember it today.

Shari

Edit--I didn't see murraypaul's post before I hit submit...sorry.

Last edited by shalym; 11-13-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Need to remember to always preview before I hit submit!
shalym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #58
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Billi's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,277
Karma: 13547747
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin
Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
If people would not remember it we would not have this thread.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #59
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,057
Karma: 72252545
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
If people would not remember it we would not have this thread.
Which returns to the statement that the people on this board are not normal users. We are more aware of the history of e-readers and what has happened with them. We are not the normal user. So whenever someone claims that Amazon is evil and they froze their account or removed books and people get all upset.

And then there is the "Remember 1984" which was an incident that had nothing to do with TOS violations, it was a copyright matter that was poorly handled. And people complain about how evil Amazon is and what dmaage they could do.

And I sigh and point out that one giant screw does not make a pattern. It is a rare event. How many ebooks have been sold and how many books have been pulled from ereaeders? Yeah, that many. Wow remind me to be worried.

That the "victims" are never victims. I have yet to see a case where the "victim" hadn't ended up admitting to violating Amazons TOS or not really being locked out or having a broken Kindle or something along those lines. And, once gain, it is a rare event. How many of these do we hear about? How many people have Kindles and accounts that are never locked? Remind me to be worried.

Finally, every ereader with WiFi has the possibility of having books pulled from it by Amazon, BN, Kobo, Sony or whoever holds the books and pushes them to the device. And still with that there has been one event, with Orwell books, so, again, not worried.

I remove DRM from my books so I can move them to whatver device I want easily and to protect my investment if I decide to move from a Kindle to something else. I recommend the practice to those who are comfortable with it just to be on the safe side. I also keep bottled water and a stock of canned goods at my house just incase we lose power. And I keep a bag with warm clothes and some food and water in my car just incase I break down during the winter and need to wait for help. I don't expect the worst but I prepare myself just in case.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #60
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,352
Karma: 5766642
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And how many people do you think now remember it, or would be influenced in their decision making by it?
That's not a problem with Amazon, or DRM. That's a problem with "people are idiots," and if they're not idiots about Amazon or DRM, they'll be idiots about something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What is the readership of the NYT anyway?
More than the readership here, or any other ebook forum. Or, probably, all ebook forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I find it completely plausible that an average consumer wouldn't be aware of a NYT article, and even more so that they wouldn't remember the contents of an article from several years ago.
It made mainstream news well beyond NYT. It was the "big corporations are evil" hysterical nonsense of the week.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Less scary removal of book from device KNickerson Library Management 11 10-18-2011 03:46 PM
Age of consent in fiction mr ploppy Writers' Corner 15 01-13-2011 12:53 PM
Footer removal WilliamDio Calibre 2 11-26-2010 12:12 PM
Book Removal roa71@yahoo.com Amazon Kindle 1 09-29-2008 08:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.