Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Google Voice Search takes on Siri

I tried out Google Voice Search on my iPod touch 4 (iOS 6) and man, is it fast. Can't do the Siri thing, because Apple won't allow it on my iPt4.

Google Search vs. Siri: Voice search speed test (video)

Quote:
Google Search (Free) has been on iOS for some time, with well-known search capabilities, access to Google apps, Google Goggles for identifying products, and Voice Search. But an update to the app yesterday enhanced Voice Search with spoken answers, and it quickly became clear Google Search had an edge on Siri -- especially when it comes to speed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I tried it yesterday and was very impressed. I'm loving the competition between Apple and Google. I have to admit that it tempted me back toward the Android camp (though I have another year on my contract before I make any changes, so nothing to decide now)... if Google continues to improve Android at the rate they have in the last year I might be tempted to consider a Nexus device next time. Problem is, their stuff often feels like a work in progress and a good proof of concept, but missing the final polish before they forget it and move on to the next big and exciting thing. Kind of like the hobbies of an ADD kid. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I love using it on my 3Gs and was surprised how fast and accurate it was for me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why isn't this feature available for Android?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It is a feature of Jelly Bean and is part of Google Now
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Cool
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Need to get out of the jungle a bit more
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Need to get out of the jungle a bit more
It's a cool feature, but not essential for my needs. I'll check it out when I get my Nexus 7.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
sven31
sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i tried google voice search on my android device and i was really surprised... there is this stiff competition going out there...
sven31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You mean the microphone in the google search field, like we've had in Chrome for a while? We've had that on my wife's pre-jelly bean android phone for a long while.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You mean the microphone in the google search field, like we've had in Chrome for a while? We've had that on my wife's pre-jelly bean android phone for a long while.
It's the google search app/google now feature

Does yours speak the answers back to you, if you ask it about the weather or if you have any meetings? and many others

On my ICS phone I have never heard it speak to me, but i haven't looked really much to see if it's possible

it's part of this, which is new to JB
http://www.google.com/landing/now/
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Does yours speak the answers back to you, if you ask it about the weather or if you have any meetings? and many others
Ah, I see. No, thing I'm talking about, you talk to, and it displays search results as usual.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Ah, I see. No, thing I'm talking about, you talk to, and it displays search results as usual.
the voice recognition is very nice on iOS & Android with Google search

but for me it's more novelty value, i don't use it very often
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Much faster and much smarter than Siri, which I use a fair amount. If it had access to the system the way Siri does, it would be no contest. Even the voice sounds more human. Apple has some catching up to do.

I wish I could make that voice shut up, though. After one search, it spoke to me for something like 30 seconds.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
It's not quite the same. Pre-JB we had voice search, but JB introduced Google Now, which is far better than a simple voice search - it learns. For instance, if you look for bus schedules while at home, when you are at a bus stop it will automatically pop-up the timetable for the next bus. It will know when you're on your way home from the office, and will give you an estimate of the travel time, and so on.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote