Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
dutchdummy
dutchdummy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Importing Collections & Highlights/Notes to Paperwhite

I have a Kindle Keyboard and although I've purchased many books from Amazon, I've removed the DRM from each book before putting them on my Kindle as I want to have control over my ebooks (Amazon has twice deleted users' content remotely, for one example why).

I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite and was hoping that I could just import the collections.json file to recreate my collections without having to sort them all over again, and to import the .mpb files for my notes and highlights. However, it seems that the PW uses a different structure and/or file system for these options. I've already applied the jailbreak but I don't see these particular file extensions. Does anyone have any idea how I can recreate my personalizations on my PW with as little fuss as possible?

Thanks.
dutchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
On the Touch/PW, all the sidecar files are stored in a sidecar folder alongside the file (same dirname as the filename of the book, but with the extension .sdr (on a folder, yes ^^). That should solve the bookmarks/notes/progress/pages issue.

As for the collections: Collections Manager is your new best friend. (As usual when migrating collections the low-level way, assuming the metadata is identical, or, for files without an ASIN, with the exact same path).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
dutchdummy

Thanks for the reply, NiLuJe. But I don't have any .sdr files to transfer over, just .mpb. I'm assuming I'm out of luck As for Collections Manager, because it apparently doesn't sort by author it's actually more difficult for me than Amazon's way of sorting. I'm still pissed off that Amazon is making it so difficult for users to manage their ebooks easily.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchdummy View Post
Thanks for the reply, NiLuJe. But I don't have any .sdr files to transfer over, just .mpb. I'm assuming I'm out of luck As for Collections Manager, because it apparently doesn't sort by author it's actually more difficult for me than Amazon's way of sorting. I'm still pissed off that Amazon is making it so difficult for users to manage their ebooks easily.
hmm. I thought you could create custom sorts... via Calibre or something.

possibly wrong
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
@dutchdummy: Err, my point was that you need to *create* the folder, and move your existing sidecar files in it.

As for CM, there's an 'Import from Calibre' option in the Menu that'll import your collections.json db, so I'm not sure what the problem seems to be there.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
dutchdummy

@NiLuJe: Aha! I didn't realize I could still use my .mbp files (new noted I made in a book created a .mpb1 file)...I thought the PW only used the new extensions. I just followed your advice & it worked like a charm. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch + Paperwhite + PW2 all jailbroken
Yes, indeed you can twobob.
If you create a custom column in Calibre (I named it Kindle Collections for some unknown reason)
Then input the collection name you want into that field.
When you export it from Calibre you can specify that that is the Collection field for Collections Manager.
The rest is obvious.

Sorry if it's a little vague but I don't have access to my Calibre install at work as this laptop doesn't like USB flash devices which are above 8G.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, highlights, import, notes, paperwhite