Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.42%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.21%
haven't used yet 208 56.37%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #781
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinnocent View Post
I
Some people here said that the contrast in older duokan versions is better than in the new one. I dont know the older versions, but in this version the contrast seems to be good.
In which older version was the contrast better?
I am now glad to have a K4NT which supports epub
Unfortunately it's still the same.
I just opened Duokan in my K3 with the lowest "black" option and a random font. I then took two pics of my K4NT with Duokan 2012 (just OTA updated). The first one is the "best" I could do, after toggling all the available options and it's still worse in reality than what you see in the picture. The second is a "representative" picture of most fonts, this is what you see.
Duokan 2012 has very "thin" letters that seemed washed out and not very black-grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	94631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	94632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	94633  

Last edited by GlassX; 10-22-2012 at 04:56 AM.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #782
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
GlassX, thanks for the pictures, the second one is really impossible to read on, but the first one look... okayish. I like 3rd best tho, I guess the third is from original reader, but still...

Edit: I wonder... font smoothing (3rd pic) vs jagged edges sharp one (1st pic) - the smoothed one looks best no doubt, but is it really better for reading? I'm not sure how our eyes work on recognizing the letters, maybe the sharp one actually helps? Surely it helps OCR software

Last edited by DrunkenDonkey; 10-22-2012 at 05:16 AM.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #783
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Yes, the 3rd one is from the "old" Duokan in my K3 keyboard.
Yes the first is okayish, but in truth the picture makes it look better. It's a bit worse. You could read like that, but I'd prefer the original Kindle OS.
The second is what you get with most fonts and most settings and it's very bad.

About the smooth vs jagged, to be honest I don't have any problems with either if the letters are "dark" enough. Didn't notice any effect.

PS I now noticed that old Duokan and Duokan 2012 have completely different sets of fonts. I don't know if this is one of the reasons for the problems, but I do hope they will make it better.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #784
katus
katus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 black
the new kindle 4 black is compatible?
katus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #785
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

I saw it on several places as compatible, thats the model I plan on getting and using with Duokan.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #786
GlassX
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by katus View Post
the new kindle 4 black is compatible?
The photos I posted are from a K4 black.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #787
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

GlassX, as a prominent Duokan user here one more question - I'm worried about many books support. I know kindle itself has a problem with that, because it tries to index them and the database overflows the partition where it is locate, besides being painfully slow. If that system is still active, or Duokan has something similar, even with its ability to browse folders, I may not even be able to get to the folders... I think the only way to say if it is doing indexing is... is there any slowdown after you add books to it that would account for processing time?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #788
katus
katus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 black
thank you DrunkenDonkey and GlassX
katus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #789
GlassX
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
GlassX, as a prominent Duokan user here one more question - I'm worried about many books support. I know kindle itself has a problem with that, because it tries to index them and the database overflows the partition where it is locate, besides being painfully slow. If that system is still active, or Duokan has something similar, even with its ability to browse folders, I may not even be able to get to the folders... I think the only way to say if it is doing indexing is... is there any slowdown after you add books to it that would account for processing time?
How many books are we talking about?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #790
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Around 600, but if it indexes them, it will be visible even if you load 10 and observe some small delay. I hate charging devices, even more running out of battery, thus loading everything in there, turning off all wifi/gprs stuff and let it live forever, my current sony easily lasts a month on standby.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #791
mcinnocent
Enthusiast
mcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle4NT
Here some pictures from my K4NT with Duakan2012.
The contrast/readebility is not so bad I think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121024_114528.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	94807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121024_114900.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	94808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121024_114929.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	94809  
mcinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #792
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Great, looks like native reader, but why your fonts are smoothed and GlassX's ones are rough?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #793
digitalsnake
digitalsnake began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
could it be used with paperwhite?
digitalsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #794
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalsnake View Post
Wrong forum, try the Duokan site in China.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #795
9000RPM
9000RPM will become famous soon enough9000RPM will become famous soon enough9000RPM will become famous soon enough9000RPM will become famous soon enough9000RPM will become famous soon enough9000RPM will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalsnake View Post

Native Chinese speaker here. I was browsing their site and the devs have started a build for the paperwhite. So give it a couple more months.
9000RPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf