Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
orpheus2011
Enthusiast
orpheus2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with embedded fonts in KF8/Mobi

I have just received my Kindle Paperwhite and am experimenting with the new KF8 format, which is a major improvement in that it allows me to use Arabic/Persian mobi files natively, with no extra jailbroken software. However, despite displaying the Persian content "correctly", the default Arabic/Persian of the Kindle PW (and I would assume the Touch) is not very clean or legible. While waiting for the jailbreaking and custom font hacks to pick up pace for the PW, I have been trying to solve the problem by embedding a font into the mobi file, through the epub/Sigil method described elsewhere. The resulting Mobi displays correctly in both the Kindle app and Calibre, while not showing up properly on Kindle Previewer (the mobi is created through Kindlegen with no errors). When placed on the PW, "Publisher font" shows the characters as separate (Screenshot on the left), while the standard built-in fonts display the same mobi correctly, albeit with inadequate typography (Screenshot on the right). Could anyone kindly suggest a solution to the unattached character issue I have with the Publisher font?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_09T11_00_45+0000.png
Views:	118
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	93740   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_09T11_01_02+0000.png
Views:	118
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	93741  
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The same thing happens on a Kindle 3 with the 3.4 firmware. It seems that there are RTL font embedding problems
I.e. you'll probably have to wait for a PW font hack or another firmware update.
BTW, the ugly Arabic/Persian glyphs seem to come from the Code 2000 (code2000.ttf) font.
Once a font hack is available you'll probably be able to remap it to another font. AFAIK, It's possible to remap fonts on K3 without a jailbreak, but I don't know whether the same method works for a PW.
You may want to ask in the Kindle developer forum if it's possible to remap code2000.ttf to a better font without a jailbreak.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast