|02-26-2012, 04:59 PM||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 4 NT - Updated Screen-saver code, updated hack
I think Amazon have updated the Screen-saver code. My kindle is 4.0 Non-touch. I am running Version Kindle 4.0 (1308590058)
Short Summary: Regardless of where the directory for screensave images is linked to the filenames must match the exact files names of the original Amazon files.
I have tried the usual method for updating the screensaver.
But, this did not work. The only thing that did work was putting one of the Amazon files, back in the symlinked directory.
* Not Worked: Any.jpg within symlinked directory.
* Not Worked: Any.png within symlinked directory.
* Not Worked: 01.png within symlinked directory. Amazon png (01N.png), with a different file name
* Worked: 01N.png (Amazon's version) within symlinked directory.
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Edited with GIMP
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any png made with GIMP with the exact file name
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any png made with ImageMagic with the exact file name
I then copied all the Amazon.png back to the symlinked directory. The files scrolled round in normal random fashion.
(By a scroll I mean turn the kindle on and off...)
I then removed, 17 out of the 20 files. Then in a scroll of the screensaver a mix of a blank screensaver and some of the normal files.
So finally I have...
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any file renamed to the exact file names of one of the twenty files. This could be a jpg or png, but the file must be named as per the original files names.
Exact list of files names:-
I can confirm that no mater what other files are in the directory, Kindle will only scroll through the above filenames, in the exact order, starting from 01N.png
This is slightly annoying from amazon, but hey-ho. Trivial to over come. I attached a zip file of blank png files I used for testing.
Hope this helps others.
|02-26-2012, 06:25 PM||#2|
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I have my screensaver files called like screensvr0.jpg, screensvr1.jpg... and it works.
I used same hack like you and what I realized is:
Kindle will load new pictures after restart (Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Restart).
|10-07-2012, 04:57 PM||#3|
Join Date: Sep 2012
Device: Kindle 4 (Non-touch)
I can confirm that screensvr01.jpg etc works. I just grabbed some screenies off:
and dragged 'em into /opt/amazon/screensavers/600x800 (something like that)
deleted all the stock ones and voila. New screensavers.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Font and Screen Saver Hack for Kindle DXG in firmware 3.2.1||zhou13||Kindle Developer's Corner||1||01-14-2012 08:45 AM|
|updated: sspopartsq (animated screen saver), kinamp, kaffeine (keeps kindle awake)||fbdev||Kindle Developer's Corner||30||01-03-2012 11:54 AM|
|Hacks K3 Screen Saver Hack||yanathin||Amazon Kindle||14||09-29-2010 08:00 PM|
|Hacks Kindle 2 V2.3 screen saver hack problems||chaungo||Amazon Kindle||0||01-01-2010 04:53 PM|
|Kindle 2 Screen Saver Hack, when?||Argent009||Kindle Developer's Corner||12||03-08-2009 12:58 AM|