Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Both PWs I received have that then vertical strip of light (glow) at the bottom left. Neither is bright enough or large enough to be distracting on mine. The brightness is about the same as those three larger light areas at the bottom caused by the LEDs, but because they are larger they are more distracting. I've gotten used to seeing them so I am able to mostly ignore them. Admittedly when my eyes start getting really tired then they become more distracting, but by that time I cannot see well enough to read anyway.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Both PWs I received have that then vertical strip of light (glow) at the bottom left. Neither is bright enough or large enough to be distracting on mine.
Same here, it doesn't distract me at all. I'm also convinced everyone likely has it to varying degrees going by what I've seen. The lights at the bottom don't really bother me either. Although, sure, it would be nice to not have them. I do think I have paid far more attention to them simply due to so much talk about it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
How nice of some of you to let Amazon off the hook so easily, considering they themselves said they worked on this for 8 years. I've been told, "engineers" can do/make anything, given the time and money, so what was the problem in this case?
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
How nice of some of you to let Amazon off the hook so easily, considering they themselves said they worked on this for 8 years. I've been told, "engineers" can do/make anything, given the time and money, so what was the problem in this case?
Ummm, methinks you have not been closely following my posts in various threads and in various forums. I've been and still am very critical of Amazon. I'm happy I got a good PW, and the defective PW seems to be improving remarkably BTW. But this is still a major manufacturing and quality control issue and Amazon needs to address it. I also wish very much that they and other American companies would remove their manufacturing plants from China altogether. The human rights violations are horrible there and China has been hostile to us for generations now.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
I wouldn't say I'm letting them off the hook, but I guess for me it's good enough, especially since I read at night a lot. Often times a product doesn't live up to expectations and you can easily return it, or if the good outweighs the bad, you can choose to keep it. I'm choosing to keep it as it's better than the options I was using previously.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I wouldn't say I'm letting them off the hook, but I guess for me it's good enough, especially since I read at night a lot. Often times a product doesn't live up to expectations and you can easily return it, or if the good outweighs the bad, you can choose to keep it. I'm choosing to keep it as it's better than the options I was using previously.
Also, I believe there is one factor that has a huge influence on first impressions whether it is realized or not. The eyes of a large majority of us have become accustomed to the white, evenly-backlit, LCD displays of our phones, tablets and other devices -- nothing like a frontlit LED device. I am not excusing Amazon for any manufacturing or QC problems, and they do indeed exist, but I have also kept this in mind while making a final judgement. I really hope the time/"curing" theory proves to be the answer.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Picture of my Paperwhite Screen

Here is my PW screen:

The photo shows a vertical blue line on the left border. However, when my eyes look at it, I don't see it on the actual device.

Is it possible that many of the so called "defective" screens are not visible to other folks?

I do have 20/20 vision in my left eye with a small cataract and a large cataract in my right eye which still can see good. Thus, I hever had it removed. However, those cataracts may be blocking the imperfection which shows on the photo.

Its also revealing that neither the photo nor the actual device shows any imperfections at all on the bottom where all the photos I've seen here show deep blotches.

Is it possible that the LEDs in my screen are on the left and not on the bottom? If that is true, then my unit has totally different hardware than the defective units I've seen pictured here with apparently four LEDs on the bottom. Its possible that I have an LED strip on the left in place of the other units with bottom LEDs.

I've also noticed that I do NOT have to reduce the lighting in bright or very dark rooms. I can keep it constant at level 22 (default) of the 24.

Maybe folks with defective screens should request the new hardware with the LED strip on the left when they call for replacements.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No, but I'm a south paw so my hand might be covering it. To be honest I hadn't even noticed it.
I've heard lefties say that, but I'm a righty and I have always held books in my left hand, so that my right hand is free to turn the page. I wonder if how we hold books has more to do with the direction that we read, and less with our handedness.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Sirmaru: I definitely see the blue border on left and top sides on mine with my naked eyes. Not sure why only on those sides.

I think the problem isn't so much that people are used to backlit display. They have uniformity problems too. It's just that on LCD, you see a variety of content with different lightness darkness and colors. With this, you just have a white screen and any unevenness or color change stick out like a sore thumb. Of course LCD has been worked on a loonnng time, too.

But really, the #1 problem was amazon overhyped it and set really high expectations. And the early reviewers raved about it and made us think it is really that good. I preordered it; I always took a wait and see approach with previous kindles.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Here is my PW screen:

The photo shows a vertical blue line on the left border. However, when my eyes look at it, I don't see it on the actual device.
That is clearly caused by an external light casting a shadow from the bezel onto the screen. That is totally unrelated to the screen issues.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blue border?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Sirmaru: I definitely see the blue border on left and top sides on mine with my naked eyes. Not sure why only on those sides.
My photo only shows it on the left side. I don't see any blue border on the top side on my photo.

However, on my unit I simply do not see the blue border on the left side at all. My screen has no defects at all on the device as PERCEIVED by my eyes.

@JSWINDEN "That is clearly caused by an external light casting a shadow from the bezel onto the screen. That is totally unrelated to the screen issues."

If that is true, then I have NO defects at all. The blue line was a SHADOW. Then my LEDs do not show at all on my screen anywhere. I certainly see no blotches, colors or other defects on my screen at all with my naked eyes.

Perhaps, all the units SHOULD have been produced that way. The others definitely had clear defects then.

@Barty: "But really, the #1 problem was amazon overhyped it and set really high expectations. And the early reviewers raved about it and made us think it is really that good. I preordered it; I always took a wait and see approach with previous kindles."

My photo shows that Amazon did NOT overhype the PW. Their expected production line output was supposed to be like my unit pictured above. Evidently, the production lines had some problems at the time the defective units rolled off.

Even the replacement unit's photo which JSWINDEN took shown above in this thread shows blotches at the bottom. My unit does not show those blotches. Both of his pictures of the replacement show the background as off white to some degree. My background is bright white. There is definitely a difference between our units.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
@JSWINDEN "That is clearly caused by an external light casting a shadow from the bezel onto the screen. That is totally unrelated to the screen issues."

If that is true, then I have NO defects at all. The blue line was a SHADOW. Then my LEDs do not show at all on my screen anywhere. I certainly see no blotches, colors or other defects on my screen at all with my naked eyes.
I notice on your picture (apart from cigarette ash on the bezel) a light source from the left that causes the blue shadow and I see the LED's making blotches at the low end of the display.

You have a nice working unit. But it is not what I expected from Amazons commercials! I stick to my Kindle KB with lighted cover definetely and my Kindle 4 for commuting since it is lighter and smaller.

I look forward to get a hand on a Kindle PW when it is available in a shop in Germany. The Apple shop Gravis in Germany will have the Amazon Kindles soon.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
sirmaru
Wizard

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
I notice on your picture (apart from cigarette ash on the bezel) a light source from the left that causes the blue shadow and I see the LED's making blotches at the low end of the display.
I don't smoke so there can't be a cigarette ash on the bezel. There could be dust.

Plus, I don't see those blotches you see at the bottom. Maybe your eyes are much better than my old ones.

If I focus a lot, I can see a VERY FAINT shadow on the bottom, barely noticeble in the photo and certainly not noticeable at all on the unit at least to my eyes.

They are definitely not as dark as the blotches at the bottom of JSWINDEN's photos of his replacement unit as displayed in this thread.

There is a window to the left of the desk where I placed the PW. That could be the light source for the blue line shadow.

Finally, all screens including LCD's have slight defects. Just get up close to your TV and you will see all kinds of imperfections not seen at all from normal viewing distance. If you use a magnifying glass up close, you will see lots of "stuff" which are not relevant to its use.

If you buy a PW in a brick and mortar store, it would definitely pay to turn it on and inspect the screen before you make your purchase. It looks like lots of defective screens are floating around.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Sirmaru's image is definitely a shadow from a light source at the left as jswinden said. But I also clearly see the 4 darker blotchy areas at the bottom of the screen from the LEDs and a bit of that blotchy effect elsewhere. But I'll admit it's very minimal on your screen compared to others that I've seen. Everyone's eyes are different, but that's about the best screen I've seen from real users and the slightly dark blotches at the bottom wouldn't bother me at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard

Eyes versus camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Sirmaru's image is definitely a shadow from a light source at the left as jswinden said. But I also clearly see the 4 darker blotchy areas at the bottom of the screen from the LEDs and a bit of that blotchy effect elsewhere. But I'll admit it's very minimal on your screen compared to others that I've seen. Everyone's eyes are different, but that's about the best screen I've seen from real users and the slightly dark blotches at the bottom wouldn't bother me at all.
It is very likely that my camera has much better vision than my cataract filtered eyes. Remember, the PW has several layers building its screen. Eyes of most real people may not notice contrast between the layers.

Cameras can be focussed in different ways to reveal more of the subject. I made no adjustments to my Sony DSCTX1 pocket camera. Others with better cameras and/or photo skills may even pick up more of the contrasts between the screen layers.

Its likely that many of the "defects" shown in the photos on this Forum are really only visible to the cameras and not to the eyes of the users in any material fashion.

Maybe folks are just being too picky when they opt to return their units. They use a camera to test their unit and then panic and call CS.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-07-2012 at 03:04 PM.