Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've read over 200 books this year - mostly from the library - and you bet I'm price sensitive. But I did pay $15 for an eARC of Lois Bujold's latest. That's about the top I'm willing to pay, however, and only for someone like Bujold.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My limit is $2 per book. Even then, I rarely buy books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Spending over $100 on ebooks a year really isnt that much.. If one is willing to spend over a hundred bucks for a device to read books on (with many here at MR owning and buying several readers per year) I dont see why they would be overly sensitive to prices for the books.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Spending over $100 on ebooks a year really isnt that much.. If one is willing to spend over a hundred bucks for a device to read books on (with many here at MR owning and buying several readers per year) I dont see why they would be overly sensitive to prices for the books.
$100 a year would be only 10 books at $9.99 or 20 at $4.99, I go through more books than that in a month.

I don't really see what one spends on a device has to do with what their willing to spend on a book either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm very price sensitive. I have plenty of books I haven't read yet, so it is very rare that I need a book promptly.

So I use the camels. http://camelcamelcamel.com/ is a website that keeps track of the many items sold by the various Amazon websites. Typically, you can see what the price has been over the past year or more for Amazon, its Marketplace Sellers, and its Marketplace "used" Sellers.

I typically inform the camels that I would be interested in a book when its price reaches the point of 25 cents higher than its lowest price of the past year. When that happens, the camels emails me, and I then often buy the book.

I believe that the camels receives money from Amazon when orders are placed when going through the camels' click-through button.

Book prices at Amazon fluctuate frequently, and I typically save $2-4 dollars per book.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #21
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Any book I didn't like enough to finish was a total waste of money.
Any book I didn't like enough to keep so I could re-read it I've also considered a waste of money. From experience any unknown book, even by known authors, has about a 90% chance of being a waste of my money. So the real cost of finding the one in ten of the books worth buying is ten times the price of the book. So i'm very price sensitive.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
$100 a year would be only 10 books at $9.99 or 20 at $4.99, I go through more books than that in a month.

I don't really see what one spends on a device has to do with what their willing to spend on a book either.
It has everything to do with the device if you are price sensitive.(it may not apply to you since you most likely spend $500-$1000 or more a year on books depending if you pay full price)

The device is what you read the books with, therefore it must be figured into what you spend yearly on books. I have seen lots of complaints over the last couple of years of e-book prices. So again if one can spend a hundred or more a year on a device to read books, I dont see why they should be price sensitive to paying for an ebook. For some reason people have no problem paying a hundred or more for the device, even upgrading within the year or owning several of them. But they dont want to pay $7-$10 for an ebook, of something they had no problem paying for in hardcopy, before ereaders.

I understand this does not apply to everyone. Some people do hold on to their devices for a couple of years or more and only have one. I am specifically talking about people who invest much into the devices yearly and than proceed to be sensitive about paying normal hardcopy prices for the ebooks.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-03-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
$170 a year is pretty darned cheap for a hobby. I like to save money whenever I can of course and no way am I paying $20 for the latest Stephen King bookstop but it doesn't bother me to spend $6-7 on a book. Of course I'm not buying 85 books a year either. I probably average 4 per month.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
$170 a year is pretty darned cheap for a hobby. I like to save money whenever I can of course and no way am I paying $20 for the latest Stephen King bookstop but it doesn't bother me to spend $6-7 on a book. Of course I'm not buying 85 books a year either. I probably average 4 per month.
Sure. Many people didnt want to pay $20+ for a hardcover before ereaders were popular and waited for the paperback. Unfortunately when the hardcover comes out the cheaper paperback takes a year to come out, so the ebook price will reflect (in some cases be cheaper) than its hardcover counterpart. But most ebooks i want are priced at paperback prices and I have no problem paying that price.

Books I want that are just released are more in most cases so I dont buy it I just wait until they are reduced to paperback prices, usually when the physical paperback is released. Sometimes its reduced earlier sometimes later. Its the same strategy I used buying physical copies. I always waited for the paperback, unless I absolutely wanted a first copy hardcover right there and than to put on my bookshelf.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
It depends on what category the book falls into.

If it is one of my go-to authors, I buy it the moment it comes out, regardless of the cost (well; within the universe of mainstream e-book pricing). Cases in point: when the new Lee Child came out a few weeks ago, I bought it the moment it was available. When the new John Sandford came out yesterday, I bought it. I think both were $14.99. But both of those books will stay on my reader until it dies or I get another one, and I will probably read them once every couple years, as I spend a lot of time re-reading my favorite authors.

For a book that is an impulse buy or a curiousity, I definitely consider price. And, as someone else said, I may put off buying it, and then I may forget about it and never buy it. But I have no idea what my "ceiling" would be.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am extremely price sensative. I have a huge tbr pile (can dropbox be a pile?). $9.99 is about my limit, and $5 on backlist. I don't need the newest Stephen King, because I still have not started Under the Dome. I was kind of interested in JK Rowlings new book, but at $18.99, I can read Reamde.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I buy what I'm interested in reading if I have the money to spare when it comes to my attention. If I'm running a little short at the time, I may buy it later (or not at all if I should happen to forget about it).

So in a sense, I'm always price sensitive when it comes to books... but I'm sensitive to my available spare cash, not the actual price of individual books. If I want it, and I can afford it, I buy it. I'm not going to stick an arbitrary ceiling on my book transactions (and I'm certainly never going to calculate what I spend in a year on books—that way lies madness).
I purchase more or less this same way, but I do try to try to keep available cash around for books I really want (Bujold, anyone?) and borrow in preference to buying if possible.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I defintely am price sensitive because I can go through 3 books in a week. I add everything to my amazon wishlist, and signed up for luzme.com (awesome, awesome site which is in the process of adding all major international ebook sites) and ereaderiq.com. Both sites monitor your wishlist and I get notified of any price changes in the stores of my chosing. (I have the kobo, nook and googlebook apps, however much prefer reading on my Kindle), and when the price is low enough, I buy it. The latest book I purchased this way was 12.99, then started dropping every day a bit more, and I bought it at 7.49. That's huge. There is another series that is 9.99 per book, and I bought the first two books in the series for 2.99 each when the price dropped for a few days. With luzme.com is how I started noticing pricing discrepancies between the stores... Kobo is much more expensive.
That, and the free books I find out about through ereaderiq, have helped me amass a huge TBR library of my preferred genres. Also, I check if my local library has the ebook available before I buy it, and sometimes I am lucky even though the library system in Rhode Island is not well funded. I make sure to donate regularly.
My first kindle thus paid for itself.

I am lucky that in the US, there us no forced fixed pricing like in the EU.

For you international mobilereaders on this thread, have you tried changing your country setting to US? Not sure about Nook et al., but on amazon you can do this easily, so may be worth a shot...

Edited to add: when I am waiting for a new book in a series by an author I like, I purchase the book full price to support him/her. I figure if I do this every now and then, it balances out all their books I get for free (library) or reduced.

Last edited by xendula; 10-04-2012 at 12:25 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #29
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Everybody is price sensitive.
Some are simply more price-sensitive than others.

(No, I'm not going to apologize to Orwell.)
If you're not going to apologize, then I'm going to link to his essay on the cost of books vs cigarettes
It still has a lot of merit, IMO.
Quote:
And if our book consumption remains as low as it has been, at least let us admit that it is because reading is a less exciting pastime than going to the dogs, the pictures or the pub, and not because books, whether bought or borrowed, are too expensive.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #30
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I don't think owning a $100 device disqualifies me from being price sensitive. Most of the time, the draw for owning such a device is that it supposedly winds up paying for itself by cutting costs on what you'd otherwise spend on books. We spend where we think it's worth it, and cut corners in other areas to make up for it, just like anyone.

Every device I have purchased so far (and most have been given to other people) has been with money acquired outside our usual budget.

Much like the reason I'd buy a standalone mixer would make it easier and cheaper in the long run to mix my own dough and bread for my family rather than buying commercial packaged products....

I'm price sensitive when it comes to e-books sold at full book prices when the design of the seller is that it's only supposed to reside on their server, or their registered gizmo. I don't mind paying "book prices" for a book that allows me to use an e-book like a book rather than a service. I have books I bought 30 years ago, and want the e-books I buy to last just as long. I am thankful for the tools, but that is not what the seller of the book is selling me.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote