Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #14281
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It was a ravishing book. When everything starts clicking together, it is mind blowing.
I finished his Black Swan Green recently which was good, and I've been tempted now to read Cloud Atlas soon, which I hear is very different from Black Swan Green, before the film, and your post is tempting me more!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #14282
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow,!! Summer Knight was just as exciting as the first two times that I read it! Now on to book five, Death Masks.
And another great Dresden re-read ! I loved every second of it. Next up, book six, Blood Rites! Then another break after which I'll re-read the next three books in the series.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #14283
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It was a ravishing book. When everything starts clicking together, it is mind blowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I finished his Black Swan Green recently which was good, and I've been tempted now to read Cloud Atlas soon, which I hear is very different from Black Swan Green, before the film, and your post is tempting me more!
- have just read Black Swan Green, which I enjoyed, and am comtemplating Cloud Atlas once I finish The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore, a YA series which I'm also quite enjoying.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #14284
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Asimov's SF, September 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.
Another good set of stories, but nothing outstanding.

Next: Asimov's SF, October/November 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #14285
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
- have just read Black Swan Green, which I enjoyed, and am comtemplating Cloud Atlas once I finish The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore, a YA series which I'm also quite enjoying.
I must put Black Swan Green on my to-read list. I also really enjoyed Mitchell's The 1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

I'm now reading The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. I'm enjoying it so far but am only about 8% in due to this being a busy Monday.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #14286
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm reading another interesting story in a totally different genre - Pegasus Falling by William E. Thomas. This is part of an historical wartime trilogy by an independent author who unfortunately passed away before his work could be published widely.

I'm about halfway through the book and finding it very readable. I remember someone a while ago looking for a romance from a male perspective. I would put this book on that list.
Well - that was a dramatic finish! I liked this book and wonder where the rest of the trilogy will go. The romance was at times laid on pretty thick and there was a very big lecture in the middle about the state of Palestine after WWII (which was quite interesting to me in any case), but I do think that this novel should appeal to many.

Now - time for a classic. I'm now starting Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #14287
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Heart of Matter by Evan Currie, (sequel to Into the Black) a space opera with a military angle but i wouldn't classify it as military sci-fi. Great action scenes though, this cat can write some exciting battles.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #14288
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I ... am now starting the Wheel of Time Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) in my re-read of the series in prep for the release of the last book next year.
I finished book 10 in the Wheel of Time, and am waiting before I move on to 11, The Knife of Dreams. I will try to finish one book a month in October through December to get prepped for the last book.

I read Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum, which was an interesting read although I skimmed a couple sections that went a little longer than I wanted. I also read The Giving Plague by David Brin which is a Hugo nominated short story written in 1988. It was worthy of the nomination and does not feel dated despite being written 25 years ago. It is available free at his website or at Smashwords and as an audiobook at Escapepod (I couldn't listen to it for quality though).

I am currently reading Hal Spacejock and hope it lives up to some of the hype I have seen where it is compared favorably to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf. So far it hasn't, but I will finish it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #14289
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
...I am currently reading Hal Spacejock and hope it lives up to some of the hype I have seen where it is compared favorably to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf. So far it hasn't, but I will finish it.
I love the entire Spacejock series, but to compare it to THHGTTG is to compare apples and meteorites. Both contain sharp and witty exchanges between the main characters, but The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is more firmly based in speculative science-fiction with smatterings of popular philosophy thrown into the mix while the Spacejock series is more slapstick and draws on the get-rich-quick schemes of its main character to drive the story forward.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #14290
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Quote:
I must put Black Swan Green on my to-read list. I also really enjoyed Mitchell's The 1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.
I loved Thousand Autumns, enjoyed Black Swan Green and just got the email today from the Boston Public Library that it's my turn for Cloud Atlas in ebook. The timing's not great, but I'll forge on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #14291
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I love the entire Spacejock series, but to compare it to THHGTTG is to compare apples and meteorites. Both contain sharp and witty exchanges between the main characters, but The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is more firmly based in speculative science-fiction with smatterings of popular philosophy thrown into the mix while the Spacejock series is more slapstick and draws on the get-rich-quick schemes of its main character to drive the story forward.
That lines up with my experience so far. The reviews I saw weren't detailed in their comparisons but did reference the others for the comedy so I was hopeful. And the price (free at Amazon) made it worth trying. Oh well. It isn't bad, just not my thing, so it isn't like I feel cheated on days of reading.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #14292
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently reading collections of Liaden short stories. About half way through Liaden Unibus I (part of Liaden Universe Big Bang bundle.) These are great little "fill in" stories in the Liaden Universe that tell the stories of minor characters or missing events that don't quite make it up to a full book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #14293
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher and J.K. Rowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
And another great Dresden re-read ! I loved every second of it. Next up, book six, Blood Rites! Then another break after which I'll re-read the next three books in the series.
Blood Rites was a great re-read. I loved every second of it (do I sound redundant?).

I'vev downloaded the Amazon free sample of The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Since the price for the complete book is a bit steep I'm going to first read the sample and then decide if I want to finish the book bad enough to pay $17.99 for the privilege.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #14294
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
At that price, I simply won't buy it. If the library gets it, I might download it.

Fortunately, I have more than enough in my TBR to be hard on that. And it's not as if she were an author who needs supporting.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #14295
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Casual Vacancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
At that price, I simply won't buy it. If the library gets it, I might download it.

Fortunately, I have more than enough in my TBR to be hard on that. And it's not as if she were an author who needs supporting.
I agree with everything you said except for 'simply won't'. I just can't be that positive (hmmmm....or is that I just can't be that negative?). Oh well.