Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
robert_22
robert_22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi i'm from Chile (in south-america) and i want to buy and onyx m92, but i'm worried about buying in a internet page but it's the only option. So how i know if i can trust in a specific page ?? and avoid to be cheated
robert_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #32
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_22 View Post
Hi i'm from Chile (in south-america) and i want to buy and onyx m92, but i'm worried about buying in a internet page but it's the only option. So how i know if i can trust in a specific page ?? and avoid to be cheated
The Onyx official list of agents would be a good starting point (remembering that the US/AU link is DOA).

(You can also buy it direct off Onyx via TMall, but that means dealing with a Chinese language site, possibly requiring use of an agency to buy and/or reship it for you, and doesn't appear to offer a price advantage on this model.)
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I don't know if it's interesting for you (south-america), but a good place with support is : http://www.ereader-store.de/ (Booxtor). I've bought mine there.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #34
robert_22
robert_22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks a lot, i have not a decided yet but now i know where to look
but i have a question is there some difference between the updates, that depends of the place where you buy it?

Last edited by robert_22; 09-14-2012 at 10:18 PM.
robert_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #35
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_22 View Post
thanks a lot, i have not a decided yet but now i know where to look
but i have a question is there some difference between the updates, that depends of the place where you buy it?
Yes. Some resellers develop their own proprietary software they dont want to share with anyone but their customers. For that reason they modify the firmware in such a way that it is only compatible with devices they sell. One such company is ArtaTech who developed their own TTS software as well as (rather crude) cloud support. They sell at http://www.onyx-boox.com/ (this is not official Onyx site, mind you!). This means that if you buy from them, you'll have to use software they release (this imitation can probably be overcome, but unless you are experienced hacker you better not try it, and also you loose your warranty if you do)

Booxtor (at ereader.de) and russian reseller seem to have more relaxed approach, and devices they sell are not locked. They both release firmware independently. It is also known that chinese sellers (or the make itself) release another version of firmware, and so does Icarus company with sells rebranded m92 as the Excel. Be advised though that different versions of devices may have some hardware differences, so it is wise to stick to software released by your vendor.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I don't know if it's interesting for you (south-america), but a good place with support is : http://www.ereader-store.de/ (Booxtor). I've bought mine there.
I just received mine from them and I thought their customer service was excellent. They shipped fast and answered all my emails promptly. Thank you Booxtor
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #37
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
I just received mine from them and I thought their customer service was excellent. They shipped fast and answered all my emails promptly. Thank you Booxtor
You are welcome

@Janek: Thanks for detailed explanation!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
AwesomeMario
AwesomeMario began at the beginning.

Device: Former Kindle DX User
Hi Everyone,

After going through the thread, could anyone recommend a seller within the US from whom to buy?

I'm a student, so the cheaper the better.
AwesomeMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
Hello everybody.
I am interested in the Black M92, but I saw the coupon discount offer by Booxtor too late. Is there a similar (or better) offer for EU?

Thank you in advance.
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #40
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice13 View Post
Boox M92 "Black Pearl" Edition with Ivona TTS and google drive ready
September price 299 EUR (including vat already) or 243,09 EUR excluding VAT if you purchase for a company.
https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...92-black-pearl
This sounds a reasonable price (299), but what about a charger? I searched the site and it states:

Packaging content
Onyx Boox M92
Wacom stylus (for touchscreen)
USB cable
Licence for 1voice - TTS Ivona 4.0
Manual (english)

Therefore 2 questions:
1. How do you charge the battery?
2. Can I use whatever source to update the firmware? I read in this forum that the device may be locked, forcing updates from the particular vendor.

There is no folder/cover for it, but I am certain I can find a cheap one.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
crt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Boox M92 "Black Pearl" Edition with Ivona TTS and google drive ready
September price 299 EUR (including vat already) or 243,09 EUR excluding VAT if you purchase for a company.
https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...92-black-pearl
I checked with the site and have 3 questions:
1. It says:
Packaging content
Onyx Boox M92
Wacom stylus (for touchscreen)
USB cable
Licence for 1voice - TTS Ivona 4.0
Manual (english)

So how do I charge the device? Is it the same usb type as kindle keyboard?

2. How do I update the firmware? I read somewhere that it is locked and only the vendor can offer updates.

3. Warranty period and location for sending the device if something goes wrong?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Ad1. You can charge it with your PC or with USB charger (best is 5V 1A output) - costs ca. 4,5 EUR in local stores
Ad2. Free firmware updates are and will be on onyx-boox.com
Ad3. Warranty period is standard Onyx - 12 months (as a EU seller we of course respect 1999/44/EC directive). Support is on onyx-boox.com website. Onyx repair center for European Union is ArtaTech in Poland (Wroclaw/Breslau).

1. We would not recommend to use those cheap chargers, since we had already problems with Pocketbook devices, where user had to buy the wall charger by third party and a lot of them had massive problems afterwards.

2. In clear text - your customers can install only software from your store website. Of course it is free… for you customers, but locked for strangers It is also impossible to use another free available software on your devices.

3. Please don't make the customers believe you are the only existing Onyx Repair center for entire EU. In our maintenance office we repair all kind of problems usually within of 1-2 days.

4. I would never recommend to buy a big screen Eink Reader without a protective cover.

5. In our store we offer two years warranty by default.

Last edited by Booxtor; 09-27-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
crt
Enthusiast

From the two sites:
First case: Black Onyx M92, 299 Euros, 19 for the cheapest case, 25 Euros for shipping and ~5 for a charger => Total: 348 Euros
Second case: 349 for all the above + ~10 shipping = 359 Euros

Difference: ~11 Euros for me.

Other differences: The first offers text-to-speech and 1 yr warranty, the second no text-to-speech and 2 yrs warranty.

Something I missed?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
From the two sites:
First case: Black Onyx M92, 299 Euros, 19 for the cheapest case, 25 Euros for shipping and ~5 for a charger => Total: 348 Euros
Second case: 349 for all the above + ~10 shipping = 359 Euros

Difference: ~11 Euros for me.

Other differences: The first offers text-to-speech and 1 yr warranty, the second no text-to-speech and 2 yrs warranty.

Something I missed?
Guess no. Still Artatech's representative who spoke three posts above somehow forgot to mention that all sales of goods in Poland is pursuant to the act on special conditions of consumer sales, which stipulates in section 10 that vendor's responsibilty for proper working of the product continues for two years after purchase. And according to the 1999/44 EU directive same holds for all cross-european sales. So in fact they give you 2-year warranty even if they don't know about that.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #45
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
The 1st has also Google drive.

The 2nd has basic TTS and should have better one + configurable cloud storage + Android. The only question is when. I do not know if those "features to come" will be available for 1st vendor or not. I guess they will.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote