Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
there is a dd for windows too :P

I just posted gparted because it hasn't mentioned before. And its free open source software.
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
Nabuccoo
Nabuccoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Hi everyone!

First of all I want to thank you for everything here, all of you! You did a great job to improve our beloved little T1. Now I want to ask some help.
I repartitioned my reader's internal storage a few months ago. I did it like simengee wrote here. I connected my reader in recovery mode (with home + menu buttons). I managed to install gadget serial (I had to edit th .inf file or something like that... it was some problem what i solved somehow, I can't remember). After that I used PUTTY to enter the serial consol. And after that I can't really remember what I did, but I think after that I could see the ext partition and other stuffs with Diskinternals Linux Reader program and also with MiniTool Partition Wizard 7.1. So I could enlarge the internal storage to 400 mb in the format, move, shrink way without any problem.

It was a few months ago as I said. Now the reader was getting slow and I massed up the reader some other way too not important. I decided to clear everything, reroot, reformat and than do it everything from the begining. So I rooted again my reader with rupor's AMR package. Than I noticed that th phones internal memory is 48 Mb again. :/

I started to repartition it again but I have a problem. Reboot intoo recovery mode. When I connect the reader to the laptop with USB cable I don't need to install gadget serial port, it is already installed. Than connect to the serial consol with PUTTY ok. After that I can't see the ext partitions. I don't know why, what I am doing wrong? Maybe I forgot something? Guys please help me.
(I am useing Win 7 x64 Ultimate if it is important.)
Thanks in advance.
Nabuccoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
can you paste here your partition table? (i.e. with fdisk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabuccoo View Post
Hi everyone!

First of all I want to thank you for everything here, all of you! You did a great job to improve our beloved little T1. Now I want to ask some help.
I repartitioned my reader's internal storage a few months ago. I did it like simengee wrote here. I connected my reader in recovery mode (with home + menu buttons). I managed to install gadget serial (I had to edit th .inf file or something like that... it was some problem what i solved somehow, I can't remember). After that I used PUTTY to enter the serial consol. And after that I can't really remember what I did, but I think after that I could see the ext partition and other stuffs with Diskinternals Linux Reader program and also with MiniTool Partition Wizard 7.1. So I could enlarge the internal storage to 400 mb in the format, move, shrink way without any problem.

It was a few months ago as I said. Now the reader was getting slow and I massed up the reader some other way too not important. I decided to clear everything, reroot, reformat and than do it everything from the begining. So I rooted again my reader with rupor's AMR package. Than I noticed that th phones internal memory is 48 Mb again. :/

I started to repartition it again but I have a problem. Reboot intoo recovery mode. When I connect the reader to the laptop with USB cable I don't need to install gadget serial port, it is already installed. Than connect to the serial consol with PUTTY ok. After that I can't see the ext partitions. I don't know why, what I am doing wrong? Maybe I forgot something? Guys please help me.
(I am useing Win 7 x64 Ultimate if it is important.)
Thanks in advance.
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
I guess the partition table is still the same, but the data partition got flashed with a 48mb image such that the file system 'thinks' it has 48mb, but the partition size is still bigger. you can simply reformat the data partition - all file content will be recreated on next boot.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
Nabuccoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
I guess the partition table is still the same, but the data partition got flashed with a 48mb image such that the file system 'thinks' it has 48mb, but the partition size is still bigger. you can simply reformat the data partition - all file content will be recreated on next boot.

Yes its still looks the same. If I connect the reader via usb I can still see only 1 gb of space on it instead of 1,4 gb. So how can I reformat the data partition? I think I have to acces to recovery mode and enter to the serial consol to see the data partition. Am I right? If it's so, that is my problem I can't see it. :/
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #36
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

data partition is invisible via usb!!! you're talking about the reader partition...

but if the reader partition reverted to 1,4GB, I am afraid that your previous partitioning attempt was not successful, because rooting does not alter partition table....

the meaning of the partitions is documented here in post #37: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=163137&page=3

that thread should answer all of your questions
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Nabuccoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
data partition is invisible via usb!!! you're talking about the reader partition...

but if the reader partition reverted to 1,4GB, I am afraid that your previous partitioning attempt was not successful, because rooting does not alter partition table....

the meaning of the partitions is documented here in post #37: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=163137&page=3

that thread should answer all of your questions

No I am talking about data partition too. And yes this is my problem it is invisible. But when I connected my reader in recovery mode with serial consol I could see it and the other partitions too in Diskinternals Linux Reader and MiniTool Partition Wizard too. But now I don't see it. I think I am doing something wrong (it is more than possible that I forgot something to do).

So what I have done now: I rebooted my reader in recovery mode (Home + Menu buttons), connected to the pc. Gadget serial port is already installed so I just looked the ports number in device manager and wrote this in Putty nad opened serial. After that I pressed enter and wrote "root" than enter again.
After this procedure I can see the hiden partitions (system, data, dictionaries etc.) am I right? Or I am doing something wrong? :/ (I am not a "linux guy" but it was so easy at last time... I don't know what is wrong now. )
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

correct
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
simongee
T1 rooter
simongee doesn't littersimongee doesn't litter

Hi Nabuccoo!

Quote:
I am not a "linux guy"
me neither! Thats the whole point of me starting this thread, you know

I didnt use Serial/Putty at all. Just MiniTool Partition Wizard. Connect in Recovery Mode. Then start MiniTool. It should show an overview of the partitions.
Does it look like the screenshot in Post #9 of this thread for u?

Quote:
I think uboot is right (DAMN, he ALWAYS is )
I experienced the same. If u reflash rupors root package, it installs the original 48mb /data image of the sony firmware. The reader then does not see the real size of ur reformated partiton.
So, just reformat ur data partition using MiniTool (EXT4).
If the reader doesnt boot up then, read post #20 of this thread (thats how i did it)
or
use uboots sd-rescue (i think it formats the /data partition before flashing, so it should be the right size) (correct me if i'm wrong here uboot)
simongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
uboot
Evangelist

correct - except that you should mention that sd-rescue will un-root the device

(i wish I really was correct all the time, nobody's perfect...)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Thumbs up Simply worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongee View Post
YES! GOT IT!
1) made backup with rupor's method (tool: Roadkil's Disk Image)
2) connected to pc in recovery mode
3) Used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.6.1 (from here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html), pressing Apply button after EACH modification.
4) shrink READER partition (keep it at the end of the drive, creating free space between READER and /system)
5) move /system to the end of extended partition. Now there is free space between /data and /system)
6) tool cant enlarge /data to the beginning of /system, which is what i wanted to do. So i deleted /data and created new ext4 partition in the space that is now free. Labeled it "data". Then FORMATED it as "ext4"
7) Now /data is empty. I tried to reboot...
... and that's it , worked on first try without a glitch (still have the physical disk full backup just in case), thank you for the reference to MiniTool Partition Wizard, made that repartitioning a breeze under Windows 7, really minimal operations. Just slightly simplified your directives to reflect what I really did, because I didn't had any bad surprise, reader restarted with initial configuration on reboot and that's it. Perhaps because I applied changes step-by-step ?
to you, uboot, rupor and porkupan
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Nabuccoo

I am here again. Thanks for the answers. I didn't have time in the last few weeks to play with my little T1, so I just read books on it. But the problem is still there for me. I can't see any partitions when I am connecting the reader in recovery mode via usb. So I can't reformat the data partiton, too. I don' understand why... I saw them at the first time when I did this repartitioning.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
bartch
bartch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-t1
same problem..can't see partitions in Minitool anymore

Hi all,
I have the same problem.
I followed the guide form #41 (applied all the steps separately in Minitool), but it didn't boot at the end, so i used some of #20 tips to recover again..
My PRST1 boots but only has around 38 free memory in /data.
So, i want to format this partition again, but now comes the problem...i can't see my partitions anymore when i connect with Minitool in recoverymode.
I can see the partitions via Putty, but NOT via Minitool or any other Windows-tool.
I managed to get a screenshot from my partition Table and as you can see, there are some errors: Partition 1, 2, 3 and 4 don't end on cylinder boundary.
Maybe this prevents Minitool or Windows to see the partitions in recovery mode?

Can somebody please help me with some tips. I am not a die hard Linux guy, but not afraid to use the terminal. But my knowledge about repartitioning or reparing partitions from within Putty or the command-line is not good enough.
I tried to repartition via the https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...itioning_Guide , but some commands, like (fdisk) p don't work in Putty, and i have no idea how to do it.

Thanks in advance,
Grt,
Bart
bartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #44
uboot
Evangelist

you can ignore the cyl boundary warning.

please do not touch partitions mmcblk2p1, mmcblk2p2, mmcblk2p3, or your reader me become irreversibly bricked.

if you apply sd recovery, your data partition will be flashed with 48mb filesystem, such that the file system has 48mb regardless of the actual partition size...

in order to solve this, you may simply reformat the data partition.

in recovery console, this can be done via

Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L data -m 0 -j /dev/mmcblk2p9

missing minitool access may be repaired by re-flashing the enableadb package...

Last edited by uboot; 11-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #45
bartch
bartch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-t1
thanks Uboot.
Somehow the format command worked finally! Before it didn't.
Do I have to format the system-partition also to ext4? (in the repartitioning tutorial with acronis Disk Director, you mention to format the system also to ext4.

I tried al lots of things, so, i am afraid i had to rebuild reader, system and data from scratch..

In Acronis Disk Director i can also make ext3 partitions.
What do you recommend?

grtz,
Bart
bartch is offline   Reply With Quote