Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Trade in issue at Best Buy.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this..

I brought my first generation Kindle Fire into Best Buy to trade it in. They are offering $75 in the form of a gift card. Online it states that you can bring it into a store or do it online, and it doesn't matter where you bought the item originally.

They wouldn't accept the Fire because I bought it from Amazon..apparently, the model numbers for the Amazon ones differ from the model numbers of the Best Buy ones. I didn't freak out, but I did say that perhaps they should reword the online advertisement.

They said to try to send it into Best Buy online. I checked Amazon, and actually, I can get more from them(83.00), so it's fine.

It was annoying though..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Wondering if anyone else has run into this..

I brought my first generation Kindle Fire into Best Buy to trade it in. They are offering $75 in the form of a gift card. Online it states that you can bring it into a store or do it online, and it doesn't matter where you bought the item originally.

They wouldn't accept the Fire because I bought it from Amazon..apparently, the model numbers for the Amazon ones differ from the model numbers of the Best Buy ones. I didn't freak out, but I did say that perhaps they should reword the online advertisement.

They said to try to send it into Best Buy online. I checked Amazon, and actually, I can get more from them(83.00), so it's fine.

It was annoying though..
The in-store trade-ins are more restricted than online. They take far more items online than they do in-store, and even THAT varies by the store.

I agree, they need to be forthcoming with the restrictions... but then again this is Best Buy we're talking about, creator of the industry's greatest rip off... the Geek Squad.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I checked Amazon, and actually, I can get more from them(83.00),
You mean Amazon will give $83 for your original Fire towards a new Fire HD? Poking around Amazon's site, I couldn't find this anywhere.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
And for clarification purposes, it says UP TO $75 which means you could get less. Just saying...
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
Just do a search in amazon for "trade in electronics" then select the kindle fire.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
And for clarification purposes, it says UP TO $75 which means you could get less. Just saying...
Yes, the amount depends on what condition the fire is in and if you have the charger. Mine is in excellent condition( I always use a case) with no scratches or marks on it and it works perfectly. I have the charger also.

For the other person who posted..go to the Amazon site and type in "trade in". The option to go to the trade in site should come up.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
for the top rate, they want original docs and box
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
At electronic swap meets, having the original box and manual always adds a premium to the sale price. At least at amateur radio ham fests it does.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Yes, to get the $83.50 from Amazon one must provide the original box. Without the box it is $76... only $1 more than Best Buy will offer for the same condition.
Given Amazon's goofy "disposable" box for the KF, I'm shocked that they'd give $7.50 for it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I can't believe I recycled $30 worth of boxes...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
voracious71
Addict

At any rate, I could do with $76 dollars worth of credit at Amazon, I buy a lot there. Usually, I hand down my electronics to family, but I'm the only one with a Kindle.

I also wasn't aware that there were model differences between Amazon and retail. Live and learn.

You do not need the box and documentation for the full rate at Best Buy.It has to be in good, working condition and you need the charger. They give you a gift card.

Last edited by voracious71; 09-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
He did check the serial number when I traded mine in at Best Buy which is where I bought it. So I don't know what would have happened if I didn't.

I don't see why where you purchased it makes any difference whatsoever to tell the truth. So long as it boots properly at startup and they wanted my business with the purchase of the new KFHD there, ......

And I don't know what the guy meant when he told you to try to send it to Best Buy online. He thinks one is going to send it out without any credit and the chance of it being out there in limbo????

Last edited by robertc88; 09-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
He did check the serial number when I traded mine in at Best Buy which is where I bought it. So I don't know what would have happened if I didn't.

I don't see why where you purchased it makes any difference whatsoever to tell the truth. So long as it boots properly at startup and they wanted my business with the purchase of the new KFHD there, ......
Probably has something to do with the store's accounting practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
And I don't know what the guy meant when he told you to try to send it to Best Buy online. He thinks one is going to send it out without any credit and the chance of it being out there in limbo????
That's how it generally works. I've sent quite a few devices to Best Buy's online trade-in center. Flawless transactions every time.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
voracious71
Addict

From what the employees and the manager told me, if they try to send back an item that doesn't match exactly what they have in the computer, they can get in lots of trouble. Oddly enough, they did take back a Nook Color that I'd had for a while that was purchased through Barnes and Noble online. Probably that model number was in the system and that particular KF model wasn't.

I do think they should make the process clearer on the website.