Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others
 
Posts: 29
Karma: 2910
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Device: Sony PRS-T1
T2 firmware on T1?

Since the underlying hardware (apart from audio) is supposedly the same on the T2 as it was on the T1—has anybody tried to transfer the firmware over yet (to get the improvements in contrast and page refreshes)?
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 35,392
Karma: 16147088
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
Since the underlying hardware (apart from audio) is supposedly the same on the T2 as it was on the T1—has anybody tried to transfer the firmware over yet (to get the improvements in contrast and page refreshes)?
The contrast improvement is most likely hardware (better screens). As for the page refreshes when reading, install the June Modified Reader app for the T1 and you can set how many page turns before a flash.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.
 
Posts: 410
Karma: 75216
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: old europe
Device: Kobo Mini, Sony PRS T1
Contrast improvement can be done in software too! The nook gained such an update. It's a matter of how well the eInk display is driven by the driver. Badly driven means pigments are left over which darkens white areas.

BTW: there is already a T2 firmware update, if someone want's to mess with it: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...2_FW_PC_v08090
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
thomasn75's Avatar
 
Posts: 156
Karma: 1085592
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
Since the underlying hardware (apart from audio) is supposedly the same on the T2 as it was on the T1—has anybody tried to transfer the firmware over yet (to get the improvements in contrast and page refreshes)?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Wonder if some of the techies here have some ideas
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 33708
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Sony PRS-T1
well I think we need to root the T2 before accessing that firmware update right?
the RSA key needed to decrypt the update is different from T1
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
henson0115
Enthusiast
henson0115 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 28
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: sony prs-t1
t2 has a slower cpu at 800mhz were the t1 has a 1 gig cpu info from the sony uk website
henson0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
cme
allesebook.de
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 73
Karma: 820554
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by henson0115 View Post
t2 has a slower cpu at 800mhz were the t1 has a 1 gig cpu info from the sony uk website
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=12

cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
henson0115
Enthusiast
henson0115 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 28
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: sony prs-t1
trust sony to lie about the spec's >.> so what info have we on the ram and other hardware inside the t2? as far as i can see all we need to do is change the t2 firmware to make the firmware think its a t2 we are trying to upgrade and it shouldn't be a problem.
henson0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 33708
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by henson0115 View Post
trust sony to lie about the spec's >.> so what info have we on the ram and other hardware inside the t2? as far as i can see all we need to do is change the t2 firmware to make the firmware think its a t2 we are trying to upgrade and it shouldn't be a problem.
we don't how to access the t2 firmware, since it is crypted with an unkwnown key. If we will be able to do that, we can root the T2 or try to port the firmware to T1
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
cme
allesebook.de
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 73
Karma: 820554
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: PRS-650
I guess he meant the other way around. Change the PRS-T1 data (name, ID ...) so the official PRS-T2 update installs on the device.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 33708
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
I guess he meant the other way around. Change the PRS-T1 data (name, ID ...) so the official PRS-T2 update installs on the device.
yes, we can change T1 data and insert T2 decode key, but unfortunately we don't know it :P
the decode key is the first thing necessary to update
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
trocchietto
Groupie
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 1025358
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Amsterdam, but I am neapolitan
Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
yes, we can change T1 data and insert T2 decode key, but unfortunately we don't know it :P
the decode key is the first thing necessary to update
Dear readers,
I do not want to be a contrarian,
sony missed the possibility to reckon this terrible outcome, but still,
I am not sure, maybe it is better we support sony, for the love we had for T1/prs 505/650

I mean in this way also if your request is definetely fair from my view( you want audio, you want android, you do not want to buy a product that is similar) still I am afraid that updating the T1 software could be a way to decree the exit of Sony from the reader market. They could in fact launch a new model on Sep 13 but not sure people will follow after, as a lot of people are thinking to go toward the amazon product, then is not immediate to move the book another time from epub to the kindle format and the other way around. By the way now on amazon it costs more a T1 than a T2!!!! this is terrible from my view

Please give me your point, because otherwise I am ready to maintain my T2 and buy also a T1, as I am damn tempted.

hope I am not off topic, as this should be more technical.

Last edited by trocchietto; 09-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
henson0115
Enthusiast
henson0115 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 28
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: sony prs-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
I guess he meant the other way around. Change the PRS-T1 data (name, ID ...) so the official PRS-T2 update installs on the device.

yea exactly what i meant. sorry bad explanation
henson0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolatem3l7d0wN is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 102
Karma: 33708
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
Dear readers,
I do not want to be a contrarian,
sony missed the possibility to reckon this terrible outcome, but still,
I am not sure, maybe it is better we support sony, for the love we had for T1/prs 505/650

I mean in this way also if your request is definetely fair from my view( you want audio, you want android, you do not want to buy a product that is similar) still I am afraid that updating the T1 software could be a way to decree the exit of Sony from the reader market. They could in fact launch a new model on Sep 13 but not sure people will follow after, as a lot of people are thinking to go toward the amazon product, then is not immediate to move the book another time from epub to the kindle format and the other way around. By the way now on amazon it costs more a T1 than a T2!!!! this is terrible from my view

Please give me your point, because otherwise I am ready to maintain my T2 and buy also a T1, as I am damn tempted.

hope I am not off topic, as this should be more technical.

I don't agree. Many people won't buy the PRS-T2 if it can't be rooted. The lack of rooting of the PRS-T2 is a great disadvantage of this product, which IMHO can't compete anymore with nook glow or kindle paperwhite.
By the way, I don't that think that the community is so much important for the success or failure of an ebook reader. There are very few people that buy an ereader for rooting it. The vast majority of people is unaware of hacks or related things. If sony doesn't want to fail on ebook reader market, it should make better products.

Last edited by m3l7d0wN; 09-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
trocchietto
Groupie
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 1025358
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Amsterdam, but I am neapolitan
Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
I don't agree. Many people won't buy the PRS-T2 if it can't be rooted. The lack of rooting of the PRS-T2 is a great disadvantage of this product, which IMHO can't compete anymore with nook glow or kindle paperwhite.
By the way, I don't that think that the community is so much important for the success or failure of an ebook reader. There are very few people that buy an ereader for rooting it. The vast majority of people is unaware of hacks or related things. If sony doesn't want to fail on ebook reader market, it should make better products.
Hi Meltdown,
great post thank you to debate in this logical way with me.
I do a step back, understand your point, I think you are right almost for everything,
but still my consideration is in the scenario if Sony commit to create for T2 an official porting update with droid, made ad hoc by his developers to maximize the refresh and compatibility issues( great would be a kind of micro usb audio). the point is a lot of mediocre sw houses are updating continuously their apps, why Sony should not do the same?( I do not think the code is so huge). if they advertise a T2 able to go in internet with several browsers, with a file browser, with angry birds, droid chess, an AZ reader, repligo, kindle compatibility really good, thousands of tablet people could be interested to have it a device to use some apps under the sun without worries for the batteries, and a lot of tablet people friends of mine are complaining for reading with backlight as is not relaxing for the eyes , so my point is that if the update will be conveniently updated Sony could still maintain a strong postition in the market, in the other scenario instead if people goes to paperwhite because of the light and any added value service by Sony, then will be more difficult to change for an eventual FY13 Sony (allegedly) color. Why? because people in this forum know how to manage calibre to convert amazon to epub, people from outside...not! So they could remain with amazon that for sure will do en excellent product also on FY13, and....Sony will be kicked out from the market or at least will lose a lot of customers and profitability on the previous model.

Also I would add I am afraid to buy a T1 and try to root as I can see some people bricked the device...

Last edited by trocchietto; 09-26-2012 at 08:41 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware Update Instructions and the latest Firmware Versions mitchwah Ectaco jetBook 110 08-02-2013 03:33 PM
firmware 2.1.3 now out paola PocketBook 16 04-19-2012 08:15 AM
Touch Firmware v-1.9.12 now available therealjoeblow Kobo Reader 0 10-13-2011 10:29 PM
Firmware 2.0.3 Pocketbook IQ - another firmware is release for IQ tvpupsik PocketBook 26 12-13-2010 03:03 PM
SMARTQ7: firmware 5 VS .92 firmware 5.1? wwang Alternative Devices 2 12-17-2009 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.