Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #14236
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm about to start the Mist by Stephen King.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #14237
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I just finished reading The Godfather. Wow! Now I'm going back to Harry Potter.
I'm amazed you actually used correct punctuation under that same breath.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #14238
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading Midst Toil and Tribulation by David Weber.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #14239
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey. This was a long one over 520 pages and it seemed like it. The plot was interesting (iow, menacing) but somehow Yancey stretched it out. A lot more character development and thoughtful introspective. And the reader receives hints that the 4th and final (?) installment will reveal startling truths that make you doubt everything written. Rated less than the first two C+ [3 stars].

Next is The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #14240
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Finished Terry Brooks' "Wards of Faerie". It was a good first book of another series. The set up for the second book is intriguing. Currently reading John Stossel's "No, They Can't!". Excellent so far.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #14241
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: probably Harry Potter and the The Prisoner of Azkaban.
Which was good again, but the introduction of the
Spoiler:
time turner
was a bad move, IMO.

It is interesting reading it knowing the rest of the books. Enjoyable in a different way, knowing what's going to be coming up and spotting the hints I missed the first time around.

Next Up:

Analog SF/F, October 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors. Hmm... fictionwise seem to have changed their conversion method. The Kindle version is now in the awful Kindle magazine format, with a greyscale cover. I think I'll convert from the ePub.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-21-2012 at 05:13 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #14242
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Analog SF/F, October 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors. Hmm... fictionwise seem to have changed their conversion method. The Kindle version is now in the awful Kindle magazine format, with a greyscale cover. I think I'll convert from the ePub.
Bother! The ePub is also split into the same sections as the Kindle version - grouping all the stories by length, and putting all the other articles in one place.

How very disappointing. I liked reading the magazine front to back, not choosing which length of story I want to read next, and wondering whether I've read them all!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #14243
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm on a reread of A Game of Thrones. It's the first book in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Supposedly there will be a total of seven books. Five are already out.

Quote:
Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #14244
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher and G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow, really was a kick to read Fool Moon again! Now on to Grave Peril!
My re-visit to the 3rd The Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher, Grave Peril was a real treat. Lots of new characters who inhabit the Dresdenverse get introduced for the first time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	butchergrave-peril.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	92726

Now a short break in The Dresden Files to re-read the 2nd James Potter book by G. Norman Lippert, James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6333646.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	92727

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #14245
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Alan,

I don't see those James Potter books at Amazon or anything. I did see his web site. You have to buy them direct? Tell me more. I assume they are based on the Harry Potter stories? Are they considered fan fic? Are they licensed to use the HP universe?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #14246
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Alan,

I don't see those James Potter books at Amazon or anything. I did see his web site. You have to buy them direct? Tell me more. I assume they are based on the Harry Potter stories? Are they considered fan fic? Are they licensed to use the HP universe?

BOb
They are considered FanFic, but were publically approved of by Ms. Rowling. They're free (there are 3 so far with a 4th releasing in the next few months) for downloading from the site you mentioned.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #14247
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They are free fan-fic, with J K Rowlings sanction, but not adoption.

"Second, while these stories are not written by J. K. Rowling (obviously) they, and other such stories, have been sanctioned by her, so long as they are respectful and appropriate for children. I have been in contact with Ms. Rowling's literary agency (after they were asked by the press if the James Potter stories and websites were secretly her creation). They have been very cordial and encouraging, even going so far as to actively deny erroneous press allegations that Ms. Rowling intended to sue me. For that, I thank them!"
Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #14248
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
thanks for the info on the James Potter books. I'll have to check them out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #14249
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Bother! The ePub is also split into the same sections as the Kindle version - grouping all the stories by length, and putting all the other articles in one place.

How very disappointing. I liked reading the magazine front to back, not choosing which length of story I want to read next, and wondering whether I've read them all!
Been my experience with my subscriptions that you can still do that. I usually just go to the cover and keep going forward from there. At the end of each section is an option to go to the next section, but it is convenient at times when looking for a particular article to return to the Sections & Articles screen to find it.

EDIT: I've never noticed the articles being lined up by length.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2012 at 04:56 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #14250
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Harry Potter and the The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Quote:
Harry Potter and the The Prisoner of Azkaban.
Quote:
Which was good again, but the introduction of the
Spoiler:
time turner
was a bad move, IMO...
Spoiler:
Why do you think that?