Ragnarok
Ragnarok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I prefer the graphic novels.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I started to read this recently and had to stop about halfway. It is terrible.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad2 w/Kindle app
I love the series. Read it twice. I like the Gunslinger, but can see why it may turn some off. My advice is to just get through it. The Drawing of the Three really picks things up.

Am now reading The Wind Through the Keyhole which actually takes place between books 4 and 5. But is like Wizard and Glass in that it is about Roland looking back at his past.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Am now reading The Wind Through the Keyhole which actually takes place between books 4 and 5. But is like Wizard and Glass in that it is about Roland looking back at his past.
I was worried the story within a story within a story (in The Wind Through the Keyhole), might have been trying to be a bit too clever, but it worked really well, I thought. All in all ... a very pleasant, nostalgic (and more to the point, non- intrusive/destructive) trip back to Mid-world.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was worried the story within a story within a story (in The Wind Through the Keyhole), might have been trying to be a bit too clever, but it worked really well, I thought. All in all ... a very pleasant, nostalgic (and more to the point, non- intrusive/destructive) trip back to Mid-world.
I am about midway through the story within the story and about 60-70% through the book. I just love mid-world.

Going to give the Gunslinger comics a go after. Well, after I get through the Wasteland comic series.

Damn Sons of Anarchy on Netflix has been cutting into my reading time a whole bunch lately. Just finished Season 2. One more season on netflix and Season 4 downloaded and ready to watch. Season 5 starts tonight.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
haydnfan
Addict
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, 4sb, touch, pw; Kobo glo, aura; Nook STR; Ipad Mini
I'm getting ready to read the final volume. I think that Wizard and Glass is the finest volume in the series, and Wolves of the Calla is the worst. If I were to rank 'em it would be:

Wizard and Glass > Drawing of the Three > The Gunslinger > The Waste Lands > The Song of Susannah > The Wolves of the Calla

The series has it's ups and downs but has been mostly downhill. I hope that the final volume does not carry King's tradition of not knowing how to write a proper, satisfying ending.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I'm getting ready to read the final volume. I think that Wizard and Glass is the finest volume in the series, and Wolves of the Calla is the worst. If I were to rank 'em it would be:

Wizard and Glass > Drawing of the Three > The Gunslinger > The Waste Lands > The Song of Susannah > The Wolves of the Calla
I agree completely with your best/worst selections. But I'd flip-flop your two and three spots, personally. I wasn't all that fond of The Drawing of the Three's "meet the characters" nature. But then again, I've always found exposition ... rather tedious. A whole book's worth of it? ... almost mid-numbing for me. Hop to it and fill me in with characters/history along the way ... in small doses, please.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Part 2 just came out as e-book in Dutch. I can't wait to read it
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post

The series has it's ups and downs but has been mostly downhill. I hope that the final volume does not carry King's tradition of not knowing how to write a proper, satisfying ending.
I agree that Wizard and Glass was probably the best. Though I really like the Waste Lands and Wolves of the Calla as well.

I personally thought the ending to the Dark Tower was awesome. I suspect others will disagree. Not going to spoil it for you, but it was written in such a way that it I did not see it coming until about a sentence or two before 'the end'. But in reading those last sentences before 'the end', I knew exactly what was going happen at the end. I thought it was brilliant - though I am probably not explaining my self very well.

Tags
dark tower, gunslinger, stephen king