Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #61
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,497
Karma: 6981326
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post


If you actually had a Kindle, you would at least know what you are talking about.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,497
Karma: 6981326
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
I actually like the Title bar and wouldn't mind a bit if Amazon gave us the option to toggle it On/Off for all book pages. If it displayed the time that would be even better.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #63
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,207
Karma: 8106934
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I actually like the Title bar and wouldn't mind a bit if Amazon gave us the option to toggle it On/Off for all book pages. If it displayed the time that would be even better.
It does display the time you hit the menu key on the K4.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #64
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.
 
Posts: 77
Karma: 87976
Join Date: Mar 2012
Device: Kindle 4NT
My Kindle 4NTs look as good as any of the new pics I have seen. I went through a few to get good screens. I am quite sure the screen is exactly the same in the new one...E-Ink has not released a better Pearl screen. Maybe they got some better quality control and the variation isn't as noticeable...or maybe the OP got a great one in the screen lottery this time and his old one wasn't so good. And the Black bezel WILL trick the eye to some degree. Also comparing cut outs etc is not going to prove anything since there is such a variation in Pearl batches and individual screens.

Regarding the paperwhite it's not looking so great now that photos are showing up. It looks identical to the current models with the light off. I had really hoped it would have an actually "whiter" background. Typical marketing misdirection.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #65
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,207
Karma: 8106934
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
My Kindle 4NTs look as good as any of the new pics I have seen. I went through a few to get good screens. I am quite sure the screen is exactly the same in the new one...E-Ink has not released a better Pearl screen. Maybe they got some better quality control and the variation isn't as noticeable...or maybe the OP got a great one in the screen lottery this time and his old one wasn't so good. And the Black bezel WILL trick the eye to some degree. Also comparing cut outs etc is not going to prove anything since there is such a variation in Pearl batches and individual screens.
As a owner of the K4B I can say it's WAY better than my K4S. The text is really black and the background is much lighter and cleaner looking.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #66
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.
 
Posts: 77
Karma: 87976
Join Date: Mar 2012
Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
As a owner of the K4B I can say it's WAY better than my K4S. The text is really black and the background is much lighter and cleaner looking.
And if I recall you always had a very bad screen on your K4. Mine is excellent with a very light grey background and very dark black contrasty text. I have seen huge variations in screen samples. If I compared those to mine I would think I had some fancy new model of screen as well...but the truth it is is just sample variation. I think you are falling prey to sample bias. Your first one was horrible...so this one naturally looks a LOT better. It's the same Pearl screen...there might be some software and font tricks going on but it's not a huge difference in reality across common screen examples.

Last edited by heeby; 09-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #67
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,207
Karma: 8106934
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
And if I recall you always had a very bad screen on your K4. Mine is excellent with a very light grey background and very dark black contrasty text. I have seen huge variations in screen samples. If I compared those to mine I would think I had some fancy new model of screen as well...but the truth it is is just sample variation. I think you are falling prey to sample bias. Your first one was horrible...so this one naturally looks a LOT better. It's the same Pearl screen...there might be some software and font tricks going on but it's not a huge difference in reality across common screen examples.
Sorry but I had 2 K4S units and had the privilege of seeing another one at the doctors office while I had mine. I think you got a really good one which are out there but alot of them were bad quality. If I hadn't had a K3 I wouldn't have known it could better. My new K4B is actually better than my K3 I use to brag about. It has a nice creme background with black text.

It's not a font thing either. I am using the same custom font on both K4s and the K3 the difference is amazing!
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #68
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.
 
Posts: 77
Karma: 87976
Join Date: Mar 2012
Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sorry but I had 2 K4S units and had the privilege of seeing another one at the doctors office while I had mine. I think you got a really good one which are out there but alot of them were bad quality. If I hadn't had a K3 I wouldn't have known it could better. My new K4B is actually better than my K3 I use to brag about. It has a nice creme background with black text.

It's not a font thing either. I am using the same custom font on both K4s and the K3 the difference is amazing!
I am not saying your new one isn't great. I am saying it's not a new type of screen or anything in my view. I bet they just sorted the quality control a bit or you got one of the really good ones. I have seen a ton of really bad K4s and Touch models too..but have seen some superb ones. During that release there was a huge variation. E ink screens vary from creamy to grey to green and contrast varies a lot too between samples. The screen in your new one is still a Pearl screen...no new technology has been used.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,207
Karma: 8106934
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I am not saying your new one isn't great. I am saying it's not a new type of screen or anything in my view. I bet they just sorted the quality control a bit or you got one of the really good ones. I have seen a ton of really bad K4s and Touch models too..but have seen some superb ones. During that release there was a huge variation. E ink screens vary from creamy to grey to green and contrast varies a lot too between samples. The screen in your new one is still a Pearl screen...no new technology has been used.
I agree with that too. As I said in my other thread. It looks like Amazon step in and fixed the quality control issue let's hope it stays that way. The creme looks so much better than a gray background.
All the K4s I've seen were grey and looked dirty. I am getting a PW too later. I can't wait to have a light to read in the dark with.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #70
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,299
Karma: 7782413
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I actually like the Title bar and wouldn't mind a bit if Amazon gave us the option to toggle it On/Off for all book pages. If it displayed the time that would be even better.
Agreed. I really missed the title bar when I switched from my K2 to K3.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #71
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 169
Karma: 1014914
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I've had every Kindle since the K2 and agree with Blossom. The K4B is much sharper and looks much blacker than the previous generations. I wasn't unhappy with the previous generations, but this one is totally the best I've seen.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #72
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,207
Karma: 8106934
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I've had every Kindle since the K2 and agree with Blossom. The K4B is much sharper and looks much blacker than the previous generations. I wasn't unhappy with the previous generations, but this one is totally the best I've seen.
I finally got to read with it last night. It's a great little reader. I read for 6 hours on it. I can't believe how easy it is to hold one handed and turn the page. My Silver one I was always dropping in my lap but this one with the new finish on the back and the easy clicking buttons makes it a delight to hold. Now if I only knew how to keep the back from staining.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
tubemonkey's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,757
Karma: 82843061
Join Date: May 2010
Device: FireHDX8, FireHD7, Nex7, Nex4, K4S, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can't believe how easy it is to hold one handed and turn the page. My Silver one I was always dropping in my lap but this one with the new finish on the back and the easy clicking buttons makes it a delight to hold. Now if I only knew how to keep the back from staining.
I use the Marware SportGrip for my K4S and love it. It's high quality silicone, form fitted for all of the buttons, and causes no staining whatsoever. I've been using the black one since last May.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #74
andyh2000
Fanatic
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
andyh2000's Avatar
 
Posts: 567
Karma: 1568694
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phone / Kindle 4 Black / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I finally got to read with it last night. It's a great little reader. I read for 6 hours on it. I can't believe how easy it is to hold one handed and turn the page. My Silver one I was always dropping in my lap but this one with the new finish on the back and the easy clicking buttons makes it a delight to hold. Now if I only knew how to keep the back from staining.
How do you read with it one handed? I love my new K4B but I'm so used to the page turn buttons at the bottom of my Sonys that I can't quite figure out the Kindle.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #75
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,497
Karma: 6981326
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
How do you read with it one handed? I love my new K4B but I'm so used to the page turn buttons at the bottom of my Sonys that I can't quite figure out the Kindle.

Andrew
I am the opposite. I never understood why Sony placed the buttons below the screen rendering one-handed use extremely awkward. To use the low buttons you have to hold the reader by the bottom bezel which means there is a tendency for it to lean backwards and place a lot of stress on your thumb and hand. It was okay for landscape reading, but for portrait reading it gets an F from me in ergonomics. Holding a reader by the lower bezel also makes it more difficult to balance the reader on my fat belly.

The ergonomics of the K3 and K4 really outshine those of the Sony readers as far as one-handed operation. At least in my opinion they do.

EDIT: I've owned several Sony readers BTW, so I've used both Sony and Kindle extensively.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
about the K4NT 4.1.0 update arslonga Amazon Kindle 22 10-22-2012 09:18 AM
K4 Help with my K4NT MemorableCactus Kindle Developer's Corner 7 06-11-2012 02:02 AM
Ended SOLD: Kindle "no touch" (K4NT) WiFi SO with Amazon Kindle Leather Cover (Black) jswinden Flea Market 2 05-28-2012 02:33 PM
Can't seem to jailbreak K4NT 4.0.1 gers1978 Kindle Developer's Corner 5 05-05-2012 08:06 PM
Troubleshooting simple kindle touch (and k4nt) debricking method geekmaster Amazon Kindle 0 03-02-2012 11:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.