Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Maybe it’s because I already know how he thinks and too eager to know the story than dwelling in his thoughts. I did it while reading previous books in the series as well. The funny part is that I don’t feel I missed anything. I remember doing the same while reading last book of the first law series by Joe Abercrombie. I am wondering if this happens with any of you as well when reading a series.
I may skip over-long physical descriptions of places, or long battle scenes, but I don't skip what the character is thinking or feeling. It's part of the character development.

As for skipping it in "Changes", I think you're doing yourself a disservice. Some of what happens in "Ghost Story" very much depends on Harry's POV in "Changes".

If you don't all of Harry's POV and thoughts in one, then I think you're going to miss the small details of what's happening in the other.

Character development is the last thing I'd want to miss out on. People do change, and you might miss a defining moment.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus S, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
As for skipping it in "Changes", I think you're doing yourself a disservice. Some of what happens in "Ghost Story" very much depends on Harry's POV in "Changes".
In that case I should really take a break from the series and come back later. It will help me reading the story completely rather than assuming the POV of Harry. Thanks a lot.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Only when it's parts that bring readers up to speed with what's going on, I don't need a recap of the story thus far. My memory sucks but it's not that bad.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S II
The only things I skip entirely are poems and songs, when more than a line or two is quoted.

I skim recaps (when it's a series that's been out for a while and I've just found it, so I'm reading the books in close succession instead of a book a year), lengthy descriptions of places, many battles/long fights (that depends on the book and the author though), and sex scenes. I'd like to skip most of those entirely but have to do with skimming just to see where they end and I can start reading again, and also sometimes there's some important/new information in those bits anyway.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #20
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle KB, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-505, iPad Mini 2
I was about to reply that I always read everything, but this is not entirely true. I usually skim or skip songs and poems, like the Sorting Hat's song in Harry Potter or the songs in Lord of the Rings. Apart from this, I do read everything, or else the book isn't worth reading for me.
Marrella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I skip the info dumps of Weber and the sex scenes of the In Death series. I'm sure that there are people who wish to read about each minor detail of a hypothetical missile to be developed in the distant future, but I'm not one of them. And once I've read the tenth sex scene between the same two people, the eleventh seems boring.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Maybe if I was still 12 sex scenes in books might be interesting. Now I tend to avoid books that seem sex driven. I prefer to be a player not a voyeur.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote