Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
a.l.e
a.l.e began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exporting to epub from Scribus

Hi people,

during the last few months I've been working -- among other things -- on a plugin which will export the content of a Scribus file to the epub format.

The epub generated should be of high quality, but the goal is not to transform Scribus in an epub editor. For now there will be very few option in the export dialog and nothing will be changed in Scribus to design the way the content will be exported to epub.
The epub generated should be usable as is, but for the one who want more control will have to work on their epub file in an editor like Sigil.

In my work, I've been using Sigil as a reference and I'd like to make sure that the file Scribus will be creating are perfectly compatible with what Sigil expects to find.

I have two questions to the Sigil community:

- can anybody test the plugin and give feedback on the epub created?
(the plugin is in the "epub" branch of our git repository: git://git.scribus.net/scribus.git ;
i should be able to create a PPA very soon)

- can any of the developer help me to find out why epubcheck gives the error:
ERROR: /tmp/text_simple.epub: Mimetype contains wrong type (application/epub+zip expected)
(i'm using the same zip library as sigil has i've found in Sigil, but in an older version)

I whish you a wonderful evening
a.l.e
a.l.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.l.e View Post
- can any of the developer help me to find out why epubcheck gives the error:
ERROR: /tmp/text_simple.epub: Mimetype contains wrong type (application/epub+zip expected)
(i'm using the same zip library as sigil has i've found in Sigil, but in an older version)
the file 'minetype' has to have NO compression, and I think also has to be the first file in the zip/epub
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Reader Wifi
Ooh, interesting...
elmussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
a.l.e

Hi Perkin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
the file 'minetype' has to have NO compression, and I think also has to be the first file in the zip/epub
Thanks for your reply!

this is the beginning of one of the epub i generate:

PK^C^D^T^@^@^@^H^@^@^@^@^@oa«,^Y^@^@^@^T^@^@^@^H^@ ^@^@mimetype^A^T^@ëÿapplication/epub+zipPK^C^D^T^@^@^@^H^@^@^@^@^@JÕ^Ujý^@^@^@ø^@^ @^@^V^@^@^@META-INF/container.xml^Aø^@^Gÿ<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<container version="1.0" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:conta iner">
<rootfiles>
<rootfile full-path="OEBPS/content.opf" media-type="application/oebps-package+xml"/>
</rootfiles>
</container>

(i hope it got through...)

the mimetype seems to be uncompressed and at the beginning of the file...

does anybody see something strange?

ciao
a.l.e

Last edited by Jellby; 09-14-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: removed smilies in code
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I just opened a book and it looks like this:

PK  ! oa«,   mimetypeapplication/epub+zipPK  Ó %A@iâ

I wonder if the missing "^A^T^@ëÿ" between mimetype and application could have something to do with it... (In my example there is nothing between those two, I checked in hex view)
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think the message is actually about the mimetype file. The mimetype file is a text file and content of the mimetype file must be:
Code:
application/epub+zip
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Also make sure that there's no line break character after "application/epub+zip".
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Yes, Toxaris has what I meant.

Sorry, English IS my first language so I apologise if I'm not understandable.

In the root folder of any epub file, there is a file named 'mimetype' (with no extension), this is the file I meant as having to first file (added) in the epub (zip), and have NO compression.

It's contents is as Toxaris noted.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

note also that the "mimetype" file must be exactly 20 bytes in size (compressed and uncompressed). if it isn't, something is wrong.

Example:
Code:
$ unzip -v elBrujo.epub
Archive:  elBrujo.epub
 Length   Method    Size  Cmpr    Date    Time   CRC-32   Name
--------  ------  ------- ---- ---------- ----- --------  ----
      20  Stored       20   0% 2011-11-11 17:12 2cab616f  mimetype
     259  Defl:S      180  31% 2011-11-11 17:12 9aa7f027  META-INF/container.xml
    7122  Defl:S     1612  77% 2011-11-11 17:12 2079d1c6  OEBPS/content.opf
    5742  Defl:S     1070  81% 2011-11-11 17:12 f6ff143a  OEBPS/toc.ncx

etc.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
a.l.e

indeed unzip -v gives:

$ unzip -v text_simple.epub
Archive: text_simple.epub
Length Method Size Cmpr Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ---- ---------- ----- -------- ----
20 Defl:N 25 -25% 1980-00-00 00:00 2cab616f mimetype

which shows a size of 25 instead of 20 and a method as Defl:N instead of stored...

i've checked my call to zipOpenNewFileInZip -- which for simplicity was not supposed to ever compress a file -- and could figure out why in my example it says "Defl":

if (zipOpenNewFileInZip(file, filename.toUtf8().constData(), NULL, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, Z_DEFLATED, Z_NO_COMPRESSION) != Z_OK)

changed to a/ use the compression flag and b/ not use Z_DEFLATED when no compression is selected:
if (zipOpenNewFileInZip(file, filename.toUtf8().constData(), NULL, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, (compression ? Z_DEFLATED : 0), (compression ? 8 : Z_NO_COMPRESSION)) != Z_OK)

the warning wen away and

Archive: text_simple.epub
Length Method Size Cmpr Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ---- ---------- ----- -------- ----
20 Stored 20 0% 1980-00-00 00:00 2cab616f mimetype

thanks for your help! your hints lead me to check the right thing!

i will commit the change before tomorrow if somebody wants to give a try...

ciao
a.l.e
Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
a.l.e

indeed unzip -v gives:

Code:
Archive:  text_simple.epub
      20  Defl:N       25 -25% 1980-00-00 00:00 2cab616f  mimetype
which shows a size of 25 instead of 20 and a method as Defl:N instead of stored...

i've checked my call to zipOpenNewFileInZip -- which for simplicity was not supposed to ever compress a file -- and could figure out why in my example it says "Defl":

Code:
    if (zipOpenNewFileInZip(file, filename.toUtf8().constData(), NULL, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, Z_DEFLATED, Z_NO_COMPRESSION) != Z_OK)
changed to a/ use the compression flag and b/ not use Z_DEFLATED when no compression is selected:
Code:
    if (zipOpenNewFileInZip(file, filename.toUtf8().constData(), NULL, NULL, 0, NULL, 0, NULL, (compression ? Z_DEFLATED : 0), (compression ? 8 : Z_NO_COMPRESSION)) != Z_OK)
the warning wen away and

Code:
Archive:  text_simple.epub
      20  Stored       20   0% 1980-00-00 00:00 2cab616f  mimetype
thanks for your help! your hints lead me to check the right thing!

i will commit the change before tomorrow if somebody wants to give a try...

ciao
a.l.e