Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
unboggling
by the bootstraps
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2, Nexus 7, KindleT, iPad1, Kindle3KB
Methods and Examples for New calibre Users

-----

Please link to the latest version: How I Manage eBooks with calibre

-----

Revised 2011-11-13.

Help Resources
Spoiler:

Mobile Read and Other Resources:
  • Use MobileRead. The fastest way to learn about eBooks, reading device(s), and Digital Rights Management (DRM) is to read the MobileRead Wiki and recent threads in MobileRead Forums. Browse the forums to stay abreast of any news and changes.
  • Learn More About Digital Rights Management. Initially, learn to deal with Digital Rights Management (DRM) as it relates to converting eBooks to format of choice for reading device of choice. Search for "Apprentice Alf" on the internet and read that blog, realizing DRM plugins are not supported or endorsed by MobileRead Forums or the calibre developers.
  • Learn Gradually. Gradually learn by doing. It's not necessary to learn everything all at once or even soon. Slowly accumulate knowledge and skills about formats, conversions, fixing format problems, Regular Expressions, Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), eBook editing tools, reading devices, and so on.
calibre:
  • Use calibre Help. The fastest way to orient to calibre is to watch the video tutorials, read the Quick Start Guide, refer often to the User Manual and tutorials, and browse the calibre Forum on MobileRead. Then continue to use them all as learning aids and references.
  • Pay Attention to Mouse Tips. In calibre, the little boxes that come up when hovering the cursor over something contain important help messages about how calibre works. Mouse Tips are more up to date than the manual and tutorials due to the rapid software update schedule.
  • Explore Preference Settings and Menu Choices. Initially, explore calibre's available Preference settings, menu choices on the Menubar or under the Toolbar icons, and menu choices in various contexts on Context Menu (right-clicking something).
  • Pay Attention to Stickies. Stickies are special threads at the top of a MobileRead forum. Some of the stickies in the calibre forum and sub-forums contain more recent or detailed information than the manual or other help documentation.
  • Ask Questions and Report Problems. When the Help documentation or relevant stickies don't seem to address a question or problem, ask or report in the appropriate calibre forum or sub-forum. Start a new thread for the question or problem. Put the specific question or problem in the title of the post with a question mark, details about question or problem and its context in the body of the post. In posts about technical problems, include calibre version and operating system name and version. For bugs include the error message and a debug log. To generate a debug log, choose the "Restart in debug mode" command under the Preferences icon, repeat the relevant action, quit calibre. A debug log window appears. Copy that into the post.
  • Read the calibre Blog. Every week the calibre tips and tricks blog explains a different feature.
  • Try Other Features. Gradually try unfamiliar calibre features, one by one. After ignoring Get Books and Fetch News for months because I thought they'd be difficult to use or not meet my needs, when I finally tried them I found both were easy to use and did meet needs.

Preference Settings
Spoiler:

Preferences, Overall:
  • Test and Review Preference Settings. After installing calibre and using the installation wizard to set specific user information, most calibre Preference settings are fine at default. In the future, test a Preference Setting change enough to know what it does before using it more permanently. Review relevant settings before initiating large bulk operations such as saving books to disk or adding new books.
  • Note, My Settings. My current Preference settings are listed below. Some are original defaults and some are customized. The settings in the list are offered as examples, and not as recommendations because they may not meet other people's needs. These settings have evolved to meet my needs and I still change some of them often.
Preferences, Interface:
  • Look and Feel, Main Interface. Interface Layout: Narrow—puts the Book Details display below booklist. Interface Font: Lucida Grande 14—this helps my old eyes, the default is 13. Checked, Show splash screen at startup. Unchecked, all others. Icon size: small. Show text under icons: never.
  • Look and Feel, Book Details. Unchecked, Roman Numerals—they're not as easy to understand at a glance. Displayed Metadata, Checked: Title, Series, Authors, Formats, Identifiers, Path, Comments, FQ (Format Quality), Genres, Kinds, Misc—limited to the most useful, and I usually keep Book Details hidden unless processing metadata and covers. Link Template is the default for wikipedia:
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search={author}
  • Look and Feel, Tag Browser. Partitioning method, disabled—I prefer a flat rather than hierarchical structure. Unchecked, Show average ratings—I don't use the default Rating column or downloaded ratings.
  • Look and Feel, Cover Browser. Unchecked, Show in separate window. Unchecked, When Showing use fullscreen. I don't use Cover Browser.
  • Look and Feel, Column Coloring. I use the "_q0" value in FQ (Format Quality) column to set red text in most of the columns of a "_q0" record. I give all wishlist/placeholder items a Format Quality Rating of "_q0".
  • Behavior. Checked, Show notification of new version. Checked, Yes/No columns have 3 values. Unchecked, both News options—I like to manually control when Newsfeeds are sent to device or deleted. Job priority: Normal. Edit metadata layout: Default. Default network timeout: 5 seconds. Preferred output format: EPUB. Preferred input format order: 1 EPUB, 2 MOBI, 3 LIT, others default order. Use internal viewer for: all formats, including PDF—helpful for initial assessment of format using the calibre Viewer, followed by using the Open With plugin when necessary to open a format in any associated application for further assessment. Restriction to apply when current library is opened: none—I usually feel restricted in restrictions when I forget I'm in one and try to search for something outside the restriction.
  • Add Your Own Columns. Hidden default columns: Languages, Modified, Rating. Custom columns: discussed below.
  • Toolbar. Main Toolbar and Context Menu for Library are set to my convenience, and Main Toolbar with Device Connected is set to closely match Main Toolbar primarily so the contrast between them won't be startling. Context Menu for Library is where I install suitable plugin commands that work on current book selection. I use the Main Toolbar for the primary calibre icons, plus any plugin icons that apply commands for all books in the library. I set the Menubar with only Choose Library, Preferences, and Help. I set Menubar with Device Connected with only Preferences and Help. I don't use Optional Second Toolbar, Context Menu for Device, or Context Menu for Cover Browser.
  • Searching. Unchecked, Search as you type. Unchecked, Highlight search results instead of restricting the booklist to the results. Grouped Search Terms, not used. Checked, Limit the searched metadata—columns that non-prefixed searches are limited to: authors, title, series, tags, publisher, #formats, #fq (Format Quality), #genres, #kinds, #misc, #note, #source, #temp. To get more precise results for un-prefixed searches, I don't include the field Comments in the "limit to" list. If Search as you type is checked, unchecking it will give faster performance. If Highlight search results is checked, unchecking it will group search results all together in their own list, while checking it moves the results to wherever they belong in the sort order and highlights them. Alternatively, the Highlighting button toggles Highlighting on or off—it's the button with 3 blue lines with red slash to the right of the Quick Search box above booklist.
Preferences, Conversion:
  • Conversion, Input Options, Comic Input. Checked, Disable conversion of images to black and white—I prefer reading comics in color on iPad rather than in black and white on Kindle.
  • Conversion, Common Options, Page Setup, Output Profile. Set to Kindle—I leave this intentionally set on Kindle, because I read most books on Kindle and most of my books are text-based fiction with few graphics. I use the iPad less frequently for reading books with complex layouts, graphics-laden content like comics, or technical material with source code or equations. Rarely, if necessary, doing another conversion with choice of iPad as Output Profile in the Conversion Dialog will temporarily override the Kindle setting during the conversion.
  • Conversion, Output Options, MOBI Output. Checked, Use author sort for author—sets author sort into author field in the format, so the Kindle will sort author correctly although it displays First_Name Last_Name. Unchecked, all other Mobi Output Options.
  • Conversion, Common Options, Page Setup, input Profile. Set to Default Input Profile.
  • Conversion. All other conversion options at default.
Preferences, Import and Export:
  • Adding Books. Unchecked, Automerge—I want to assess any duplicates or variations of multiple formats for a book before deleting any, which is less confusing with the formats in separate records. Checked, When using 'Copy To Library' preserve the date—personal preference and okay either way, but when I had multiple libraries it seemed more useful to know when the book first arrived in any of my calibre libraries, rather than when it was transferred to Current Library. Unchecked, Swap author last and first name—usually easier to do with Edit Metadata in Bulk's Search and Replace after the Add than switching it back and forth in Preferences. Tags to apply when adding a book: "!new"—meaning "newly added", with the exclamation point making it unique for un-prefixed searches typed into the Quick Search box. Checked, "Read metadata from file contents rather than filename"—this method is easiest and usually works well for retail books in EPUB or MOBI formats. Unchecked, "Read metadata from file contents rather than filename" uses the Regular Expression in the Regular Expression menu box to guess metadata from the filename. I currently use this Regular Expression:
    Code:
    (?P<author>[^_]+?) - ((?P<series>.*) (?P<series_index>[0-9]*) - )?(?P<title>.+)
  • Saving Books. Checked, Save cover. Checked, Update metadata in saved copies. Checked, Save in OPF. Checked, Convert Non-English. Those four settings are useful when Saving books out to fix. Unchecked, Replace space with underscores. Unchecked, Change paths to lower case. Format dates as: %b, %Y. File formats to save: all. In the Save template below, the unique book ID number in the path ensures any author/title duplicates won't have a file-name conflict in the operating system. The series information for file-name is consistent with my Metadata Plugboard templates, but I use Authors rather than Author_sort in file-name to be consistent with the First_Name Last_Name convention I use in the Authors column, so when I Save To Disk books to be fixed then Add the fixed versions into calibre, if Add Books is set with Unchecked, "Read metadata from file contents rather than filename", I don't have to switch the Author name back from Last_Name, First_Name. Save template:
    Code:
    {author_sort}/{title} - ({id})/{authors} - {series}{series_index:| | - }{title}
  • Sending Books. Metadata management: Only on send. Format dates: %b, %Y. Save template—I haven't needed to change this yet:
    Code:
    {author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors}
  • Metadata Plugboards, for Kindle. Templates for Kindle to put metadata in relevant metadata fields inside the book format, to be read from there by device: Series into title, and Author_sort into Author:
    Code:
    {series}{series_index:| | - }{title}
    {author_sort}
  • Metadata Plugboards, for iPad. Set up for Connecting/Sharing, Connect to iTunes, by following sticky instructions (calibre + Apple iDevices: Start Here), with some exceptions and customizations. I leave the Kindle chosen in Preferences, Conversion, Common Options, Page Setup, Output Profile, rather than changing Output Profile to iPad. I changed the "series into title" template to be consistent with Kindle template. I use a comma-separated-value #genres column rather than a text #genre column—my way doesn't necessarily send the primary genre, but avoids needing another column dedicated to primary genre, and I don't read much fiction on iPad anyway. The templates put metadata in relevant metadata fields inside the book format, to be displayed in iTunes or on the device—series into iTunes title; one of several genres into Tags for iTunes genre; author_sort into iTunes artist/author:
    Code:
    {series}{series_index:| | - }{title}
    {#genres}
    {author_sort}
Preferences, Sharing:
  • Sharing by eMail. Set up, tested, seldom used.
  • Sharing over Net. Set up for Content Server, tested, seldom used. Set up for Connecting/Sharing, Connect to iTunes as discussed above in Import and Export, Metadata Plugboards, and not frequently used since I do most reading on Kindle.
  • Metadata Download. Downloaded metadata fields: Comments, Published date, Publisher. Sources checked and configured: Amazon (1; Comments, Published date, Publisher), Goodreads (1; Comments), ISBNdb (1; Comments, Publisher), Open Library (3). Sometimes for testing purposes I change sources or adjust downloaded fields and specific source configurations.
Preferences, Advanced:
  • Plugins. Discussed below.
  • Tweaks. Publication date (year only): yyyy—saves horizontal display space in booklist. Title and series sorting: strictly alphabetic. Title and series formatting in templates: strictly alphabetic. The "strictly alphabetic" tweaks are for my convenience and consistency in sorting, to match the convention used by most sites that I refer to for correcting and standardizing metadata.
  • Miscellaneous. Checked, Limit max simultaneous jobs to available cores. Max simultaneous conversion/news download jobs: 3. I've rarely needed to use Command line tools so don't bother to install them until needed.
  • Keyboard. Default, no custom keyboard shortcuts set.
  • Template Functions. Default, not used.

Customization
Spoiler:

Plugins:
  • Install calibre Plugins Install optional plugins as desired to enhance calibre's functionality. In Preferences/Plugins, the Get New Plugins button brings up a list of plugins available, along with descriptions. To install one, select it and click the Install button. Alternatively, any plugins that were manually downloaded from sites can be installed with the button Load Plugin from File.
  • Note, My Plugins: Frequently used: Count Pages, Extract ISBN, Find Duplicates, Open With, Search Internet. Sometimes used: Quality Check. Occasionally used: various different plugins to evaluate whether they will meet needs or improve workflow. Also, Goodreads for Metadata Download of comments.
Columns:
  • Add Custom Columns. Initially, add custom columns as desired to the current library, periodically evaluate how well they're working to meet needs, and change custom columns as necessary. Custom columns are specific to each library where created, except when creating a new library with the option checked to copy structure from the current library.
  • Note, My Custom Columns. I try to keep custom columns few and simple. The more metadata kept, or the more complex the automation with composite columns built from other columns, the more work later to maintain metadata consistently or to change library structure. My custom columns are:
  • Formats. Text, built from other columns, to see a books' formats at a glance in booklist.
  • FQ. Comma separated text, for Format Quality tags, including format problem tags and Format Quality Rating.
  • Genres. Comma separated text, for primary genre and secondary genres.
  • ISBN. Text, built from other columns, to see at a glance in booklist.
  • Kinds. Comma separated text, for kinds such as anthology, collection, omnibus.
  • Pages. Integers, format for numbers {0:,}, for page count by Count Pages plugin.
  • Misc. Comma separated text, for tags indicating: "series up to date", "series multi-author", awards, "to read", and "my content rating".
  • Note. Text, for notes and information that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Source. Text, for source information such as download site.
  • Temp. Comma separated text, for Temporary tags to group books for batch operations, and for temporarily storing metadata from another column while restructuring columns or moving metadata around in bulk. The default Tags column could be used for this, but I prefer reserving the Tags column only for tags automatically assigned by calibre and occasional testing of Metadata Download tags from various sources.
Searches and Restrictions:
  • Use Prefixed or Un-Prefixed Searches. Prefixed searches are useful for limiting a Quick Search to one column, for example in the Quick Search box type "genres:fantasy" (no quotes). Un-prefixed searches are useful in conjunction with tags that are relatively unique rather than commonly used words, where that search string matches anything in the metadata per preference settings for search terms without prefixes—for example in the Quick Search box type "fantasy" (no quotes). Operators such as or, and, or not also work. If the tag contains parentheses or spaces enclose it with quotes. When not using the equals sign in searches, by default calibre uses "contains" rather than "equals".
  • Use Saved Searches and Restrictions. Initially, try simple Saved Searches. Later use Saved Searches or Restrictions to speed up workflow. Saved Searches or Restrictions apply only in the library where they were first used, but creating a new library with the option checked to copy structure from Current Library will include any Saved Searches and Restrictions.
  • Create a Saved Search. To create a Saved Search using the Tag Browser: On the menu at the bottom of Tag Browser, select "Match any" to "or" multiple search criteria or "Match all" to "and" multiple search criteria. Click the arrow to the left of a Category in the Tag Browser. In the Category's list of tags, click a tag. Command/Click one or two more to add search criteria. In the Quick Search box above booklist, the search criteria appear. To the right of the Quick Search box, type a name for the search into the little menu box labeled Saved Searches. All the way to the right of that, click the little square button that's green with a white cross, to save the search. Click the down arrow on the Saved Searches menu box to list the Saved Searches, and choose the new Saved Search.
  • Disengage or Delete a Saved Search. To disengage a Saved Search, remove the text in the Quick Search box by clicking the button with pointy black rectangle with white X in it to the right. To delete a Saved Search, in Tags Browser, right-click on the search name in the Searches category, select Delete command. Or right-click the Searches category itself, select Manage Saved Searches on context menu, select it from the menu list of searches, and click the Trash button. Deleting a Saved Search also automatically deletes its associated Restriction.
  • Apply a Restriction. A Restriction menu choice is created automatically when a Search is saved. To apply a Restriction, select a Restriction name in the Restrict To menu box. Now the library is restricted to all books that meet the search criteria of the associated Saved Search. The Restriction is reflected in the lists of tags by Category in the Tag Browser, now limited to any tags for books meeting the search criteria. Similarly, with a Restriction engaged, making mistakes with Edit Metadata in Bulk is no longer a risk that can affect other books in the total unrestricted library, just books within the restriction. Searches within a restriction are limited to only those books within the restriction, allowing simpler criteria for searches. Restrictions provide some of the benefits of separate libraries, within just one library.
  • Disengage or Delete Restriction. To disengage a Restriction, in the Restrict To menu box select the blank menu item at the top, or a different Restriction to apply. To delete a Restriction just delete the Saved Search it is based on.
  • Note, My Current Saved Searches. Some of these change frequently:
  • New. Based on the tag "!new" meaning "Newly Added", automatically assigned by calibre into Tags column as books are Added to the library, per Preferences, Adding Books, "Tags to apply when adding books". The exclamation point makes it unique so it can be used in un-prefixed searches by just typing it in the Quick Search box.
  • NonFiction. Based on the tag for "Non-Fiction" in Genres column or "News" or "Catalog" in Tags column.
  • Fiction. Based on not the Search NonFiction.
  • To Load. For device loading, based on the tag for "To Read" or "News" or "Catalog".
  • No Cover. Based on "cover:false" (no quotes).
  • No ISBN. Based on "identifiers:=isbn:false" (no quotes).
Libraries:
  • Create Another Library. To create another library, select the menu choice Switch/Create Library under the Choose Library icon. In the dialog box, click the square button next to New Location box, navigate to where the new library will be created, click New Folder button to make a new folder and name for new library, click the Choose button. Select the button for "Create an empty library at the new location". Check the box for Copy structure from the current library to copy over custom columns and saved searches from the current library. Click OK.
  • Minimize Number of Libraries. Using just one library for everything except testing big changes avoids various convolutions, extra steps, extra work, and associated headaches. Restrictions provide some of the benefits of separate libraries—both support simpler search criteria and more limited searches, limit the extent of blunders with Edit Metadata in Bulk, and limit Tag Browser metadata lists. The more libraries, the more work to implement library and metadata structure changes across libraries to make them consistent. The Catalog, Search, and Edit Metadata in Bulk features are limited just to books within one library. Content Server allows access only to whatever library it was started from. Presently, copying and pasting metadata between libraries is cumbersome, and comparing library view booklists at a glance between two libraries simultaneously requires awkward solutions such as two computers side by side and extreme caution not to mess up file permissions and databases with changes written by different instances of calibre. Using one primary library avoids all of that.
  • Note, My Libraries. I use one primary library for processing new books and storing processed books. Sometimes I create a new test library for trying out big changes, then delete it after testing.

Maintenance
Spoiler:

calibre:
  • Check Library. Every few months, run Check Library for each library. Under the Library icon, select the Library Maintenance command to Check Library. Click Yes when dialog box asks to check if the files in library match information in the database. If it finds anything put a check in those problem items' checkboxes to mark them, and click the Delete Marked button. Click Done button.
  • Fix Tag Clutter and Errors. Metadata Downloads may bring in variations of tags for the same Publisher, Series, or other fields. Also, any column may have variations in tags from keyboard entry errors or user memory errors. Every few months, for each Category in the Tag Browser, right-click the Category, select the menu item to Manage "Category Name" and in the dialog box edit variant tags down to one identifying tag. Alternatively, in the Tag Browser, right-click any tag in the list under a Category, and select Rename to rename a tag. Doing this across a library reduces clutter in the tag browser and in the database. Be careful not to lose or change the basic meaning of any metadata item. Examples with Publisher: Tor Science Fiction and Tor Fantasy are both Tor; Random House Inc and Random House Trade are both Random House.
  • Update DRM Plugins Manually. Check for DRM plugin updates every few months and install them manually. DRM plugins are not supported by the calibre development team or MobileRead.
Operating System:
  • Use Automatic Backups. Initially, set up backup software to do periodic backups automatically. My working disk drives are backed up automatically to other drives, hourly for the disk with calibre Libraries folder, and daily for the disk with calibre Library Backups folder. I have file hosting/syncing services such as DropBox but haven't used them with calibre and eBooks because I don't want another layer of complexity yet, and in the future if I do use one of them, I'll continue doing my own automated backups rather than depending on a server owned by someone else. I've had to restore library files from backups three different times after making various blunders.
  • Set Anti-virus to Exclude Libraries. Initially, set security antivirus software to auto-scan all disk volumes but to exclude calibre library folders from scans. Later, double-check that auto-scan is on and working. The books that are added to calibre were previously virus-scanned at download, scanned again if they were accessed by other applications like compression expander or eBook reader, scanned again when calibre copied during Add Books. The exclusion of calibre library folders prevents antivirus software causing slow-downs in calibre performance.
  • Minimize Automation for eBooks. Initially, keep any eBook-related and calibre-related automation as minimal and simple as possible. That means avoid using complex scripts and macros in other applications or in the operating system, and complex computed columns that rely on custom columns, complex regular expressions, and complex templates in calibre. Trying to combine different types of automation both inside and outside of calibre when I didn't know what I was doing led to me feeling frustrated and overwhelmed the first couple of months.
  • Update calibre. Updates of calibre are released every Friday. I update right away because I want to work with any changes as soon as possible. While downloading the updated version, I read the What's New change-log tab and review the Major New Features tab. They help with knowing what's new or changed, and sometimes those changes provide opportunities to improve methods or workflow for managing eBooks.
  • Leave calibre's Library Files Alone. Always, treat each calibre library folder and all its contents like a black box that will shock or burn, if messed with directly out in the Operating System.

Getting and Adding Books
Spoiler:

Strategy:
  • Determine or Reassess Strategy. Initially, determine an overall strategy for getting, processing, and managing eBooks. Periodically evaluate how that is working, then reaffirm or change as relevant to meet needs better.
  • Note, My Strategy. I want to manage eBooks in a way that meets my reading needs with the least expense of time and effort possible, while maximizing time and enjoyment for reading books. Supporting strategies: Use calibre as the core of my eBook universe. Apply the KISS principle (keep it simple) as much as possible. Go slowly obtaining and processing eBooks. Process just one primary author at a time. Be discriminating about source, content quality, and format quality. Gradually improve workflow, methods, practices, knowledge and skills.
Getting Books:
  • Consolidate Books Already on Computer. This is a personal preference. I've found it's easiest to keep books on the computer in as few places as possible, ideally in one primary calibre library and one primary folder for "Pending Add to calibre", rather than spread out in various folders all over the computer or local network. Consolidating those first avoids having to search for books in many places just to know what is already owned. To consolidate from other calibre libraries, from each library use the Copy To Library command to copy (delete after copy) to the primary library. To consolidate from various non-calibre folders, move or copy those source folders into one folder called something like "Pending Add to calibre". The books in the Pending folder can be left there and gradually Added (such as one author at a time), or Added in bulk one source folder at at time.
  • Determine which Internet Sources to Use. Browse eBook vendor/distribution sites to determine which Internet Sources to use. I'd rather buy all items from one Internet Source when possible, to save time and effort, even though that may be slightly more expensive than getting the cheapest book from any of many Internet Sources one by one. There are two ways to browse Internet Sources. Search by author's name in calibre's Get Books feature, or navigate by browser to a likely site such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, MobileRead, or Project Gutenberg. Get Books is great for the sites it includes, provides price comparisons, shows which books have DRM or not, and finds the selected book's page on the site automatically.
  • Download Books. Search Internet Source for current author or title of interest. For each book to be obtained now from that Internet Source, add it to Shopping Cart. Place the order and download the books. Choose to download to computer rather than device when possible. For sites such as Project Gutenberg that don't have Shopping Carts or convenient ways to download selected groups of books, download each book one by one, or use whatever download methods the site supports.
Adding Books:
  • Set Preferences for Adding Books. The methods for Adding Books depend on relevant Preference Settings. I leave Automerge unchecked because I want to later assess any multiple formats or duplicates of book records to decide what to delete, and that is less confusing for formats in separate records. Also when the little dialog box comes up during the Add, I always choose to add author/title duplicates so I can later assess them and decide what to delete. Unchecked, Swap author last and first name—as a personal preference, the swap is usually easier to do with Edit Metadata in Bulk's Search and Replace after the Add than remembering to switch this option off and on in Preferences. Checked, "Read metadata from file contents rather than filename"—this method is easiest and usually works well for retail books in EPUB or MOBI formats. If it doesn't work well, uncheck it so calibre will use the Regular Expression in the Regular Expression menu box to guess metadata from the filename, which then requires using one of these methods:
  • Before Adding, in Operating System. Standardize author, series, and title in the filename out in the Operating System first before Add Books: manually, or with a script that standardizes file names, or with successive passes with different Regular Expressions in a file renamer tool. The filename structure needs to match the chosen Regular Expression for Add Books by guessing from filename.
  • During Adding. Successively Add Books in small batches, each batch's filename structure matching the chosen Add Books Regular Expression or a new Regular Expression written on the fly to suit that batch of books' different file naming convention, with the Regular Expression automatically putting the relevant groups into the correct calibre columns for author, series, and title. This one seems easiest and fastest for someone with sophisticated Regular Expression skills, which I don't have.
  • After Adding, in calibre. Standardize author, series, and title from the filename inside calibre after Add Books imports them all as a mess. Can be done manually, or selectively using Edit Metadata in Bulk, Search and Replace, Regular Expression mode to copy relevant metadata from Title or Author (Search Field) to where it belongs (Destination Field).
  • Add Books. Drag and drop the books from the Downloads folder or other source folder onto the primary library's booklist window. If that Add method didn't work well, remove the books, reset Add Books preferences to a different add method, and Add Books again.
  • Enter Source Metadata. For newly added books, enter source metadata in Source column. This is usually the name of the download site, or the name of the source folder for books that were already on computer.
  • Edit Authors and Title. If necessary, move metadata from Authors or Title into the appropriate columns either manually, or selectively using Edit Metadata in Bulk, Search and Replace, Regular Expression mode to put the relevant group into the correct calibre column for Authors, Series, or Title.
  • Create Wishlist Records. To create Wishlist records for books to potentially acquire in the future, select a book by that author, choose Add Empty Book under the Add Books icon. Select the Empty Books. For all of them, enter the tag "_q0" in FQ (Format Quality) column. For each, enter the Titles, and if necessary enter or correct Authors.
  • Create Empty Wishlist Format. This is personal preference. Optionally, add an empty Wishlist Format to the Empty Book records specifically for the purpose of having the option to include wishlist items in future Save to Disk operations, because Save To Disk does not include Empty Books without formats. To create a Wishlist Format, open a text editor. Type "Wishlist Format" (or whatever) as the sole content. Save the file as text with filename "Wishlist Format". Drag and Drop the file onto calibre booklist window to add it. Enter "Wishlist Format" in Authors and Titles columns. Convert to Preferred Format, the same format chosen in Preferences, Interface, Behavior as Preferred Output Format. Save To Disk. Select the Empty Book wishlist records, under Add Books icon choose "Add file to selected book records", and navigate the pop-up file-browser dialog box to point to that Wishlist Format.

Assessing and Fixing Formats
Spoiler:

Preferred Format:
  • Bulk Convert to Preferred Format. For all newly added books that do not yet have a Preferred Format in the record, convert to Preferred Format. Preferred format is the same format chosen in Preferences/Interface/Behavior as Preferred Output Format.
  • Note, EPUB as My Preferred Format. I use EPUB as Preferred Format. EPUB opens faster than other formats in the calibre viewer because calibre internally converts all non-EPUBs to EPUB for the viewer, which takes extra time. EPUB is also good for initial assessment, possible fixing, reading on a tablet device like iPad, reading on other devices that can handle EPUB, or good conversion to MOBI for Kindle. Most EPUBs later converted to MOBI are usually good enough quality conversions for fiction-reading purposes, after fixing a few problem formats, excepting specific types of PDFs or other Original Formats that are graphics-laden or have complex layouts.
Assessment:
  • Assess Preferred Format. Open Preferred Format in calibre viewer. Examine title and copyright pages. If necessary, correct Authors, Series, and Title. Assess the format by paging rapidly through the book format, looking for format problems. For minor problems such as line spacing that are fixable through conversion, reconvert using relevant conversion settings, then re-assess.
  • Assess Incoming Formats: If the Preferred Format has format problems, assess Incoming Formats. An Incoming Format is any format in the record that originally arrived during Add Books, before any conversions. For each Incoming Format in the record, use the Open With plugin to open it in the appropriate assessing tool, such as Acrobat for PDF or Kindle Previewer for MOBI, and assess it. Choose the best Incoming Format with the least serious problems, convert it to Preferred Format if necessary, and re-assess. For minor problems fixable through conversion such as line spacing, convert the best Incoming Format to Preferred Format using relevant conversion settings, then re-assess. To avoid any confusion later remove any worse Incoming Formats and keep the best Incoming Format as the sole Original Format.
  • Enter Format Quality Tags. In the FQ (Format Quality) column, enter a tag for each type of format problem found and not yet fixed (such as Header/Footer), and enter the applicable Format Quality Rating.
Format Quality Ratings:
  • _q0 is wishlist item, bad format, fix later, or currently unfixable format. I also use it as the basis to color a record's text red. When using catalogs or content server with devices, it indicates wishlist items.
  • _q1 is for rare cases that are fixable but chosen to fix later, and don't delete Original Format. Assigned as additional tag along with _q0.
  • _q2 is for rare cases of more than minor annoyance but not fixable, don't delete Original Format. Assigned as additional tag along with _q0. Applies to PDFs with complex graphics, old image-based PDFs, or technical PDFs with complex layouts, that are more readable in PDF than Preferred Format.
  • _q3 is okay, readable with only minor annoyance.
  • _q4 is good, readable with no annoyance.
  • _q5 is excellent, no annoyance, excellent Table of Contents, excellent layout, no problems discovered at all. Assigned as additional tag along with _q4 only after reading a book. I rarely use _q5 because "excellence" is a moving target, less concrete than "no annoyance". As I learn more my standards for excellence gradually get higher, while my annoyance level for trying to read past any particular format problem tends to remain unchanged.
For Books to Fix Now:
  • Set Preferences for Adding Books. As discussed above in Getting and Adding Books section, Unchecked Automerge, and Checked: "Read metadata from from file contents rather than filename".
  • Set Preferences for Saving Books. Checked, Save cover. Checked, Update metadata in saved copies. Checked, Save in OPF. Checked, Convert Non-English. Those four settings are useful when Saving books out to fix. Specifically the OPF saved out along with the format is sometimes necessary for retrieving all the metadata when Adding the fixed format back into calibre.
  • Set and Stick to a Time Limit. Set a time limit in advance for fixing any book then stick to it. For any book that can't be fixed in that time, downgrade Format Quality Rating to _q0 to make it a wishlist item. The average time necessary to fix a book will gradually decrease as format-fixing skills and knowledge increase.
  • Set and Stick to Goal. The overall goal as a reader isn't a perfect book, but to spend the least amount of time to make it "readable with as little annoyance as possible."
  • Avoid Extremes. There are two extremes regarding fixing format problems. One is to just want to read books and not care much about the formatting and any format problems. The other is to want to make each format as perfect as possible. For the latter, skills tend to keep increasing, making it tempting to periodically spend a lot of time going back to re-fix older books to bring them up to par across the library. I try to sit the fence between extremes. I don't worry about all format problems, just the ones that annoy me the most that I currently know how to fix, and I rarely go back to re-fix books later when I learn a new skill.
For Each Book to Fix Now:
  • Choose Method(s) for the Fix. The simplest method is to use an Editor for all problems in a book. Optionally, various fix methods can be used singly or in combination for each type of problem in a book, using the method or tool best suited for that type of problem. Alternate methods within calibre include using Tweak ePub, for minor fixes of an EPUB, or various advanced Conversion options such as Search and Replace with Regular Expressions to fix specific problems like headers/footers. These features require more knowledge of format anatomy than using an Editor. As a beginner with fixing formats, I prefer to use an Editor to fix problems at book level because the alternate methods require more sophisticated knowledge and skills that I don't have yet.
  • Choose an Output Format and Editor. Decide on an Editing application and a format that can be opened by the chosen Editor.
Output Format Choices:
  • RTF for fix in Open Office, Word, or other editor.
  • EPUB for fix in Sigil or other EPUB editor.
  • HTMLZ for fix in any HTML editor, might be useful after I learn HTML.
  • PDF for fix in Acrobat Professional (not the Reader) or other PDF editor.
  • MOBI for fix using various MOBI tools.
  • TXT or TXTZ for fix in Open Office, Word, or other editor. TXT usually loses formatting such as Bold/Italic, but is sometimes useful.
  • Choose Conversion/Fix Sequence. Minimizing the number of conversions in a conversion/fix sequence saves time, simplifies workflow, and achieves higher quality of format—because each conversion loses more formatting and content information while introducing more errors, like successively photocopying copies of copies or converting audio files through "lossy" compressions. Some of the sequences I've tried are listed below, in approximate order of easiest first, with quality of results a little less important than ease of use, for people who don't know HTML well enough to edit it directly. The last two conversion/fix sequences are generally best for quality of results, but they have learning curves and I'm not yet comfortable enough in HTML to edit it in Sigil or an HTML editor. Now I'm trying to ween myself off using the second sequence (Word) and instead use the simpler first sequence (Open Office), though I'm still most comfortable in Word. The first two sequences usually result in similarly good readability though not finely-tuned format quality.
Conversion/Fix Sequences, Some Choices:
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Open Office fix, save as ODT —> Preferred Format. Calibre supports Open Office's ODT as an input format but not as output format, which is why this uses RTF as the first step. Note, Writer2ePub extension to Open Office is another option for converting to a simple EPUB after fix in Open Office, but I haven't tested it yet.
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Word fix, save as DOCX —> Open Office, save as ODT —> Preferred Format. Calibre does not support Word's DOC or DOCX as input or output formats so this has an extra step.
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Open Office fix, save as RTF —> Preferred Format. The first two sequences have cleaner output and much smaller file-sizes.
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Word fix, save as RTF —> Open Office, save as ODT —> Preferred Format.
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Word fix, save as RTF —> Preferred Format. Word RTFs are bloated files with lots of garbage in them.
  • Original Format —> RTF —- Word fix, save as HTML, zip—> Preferred Format. Not clean HTML.
  • Original Format —> HTMLZ —- Unzip, Open Office or Word fix, save as HTML, zip —> Preferred Format. Unzipping and zipping is a hassle. Unzipped, the book is usually a bunch of different files, which need to be worked with one by one.
  • Original Format —> EPUB —- Sigil fix, save as EPUB —- EPUB. Sigil uses the fewest conversions when Preferred Format is EPUB and is more friendly than editing HTML directly in HTML editor.
  • Original Format —> HTMLZ —- HTML editor to fix relevant files then save them each within the HTMLZ package —> Preferred Format.
  • Convert To Fixable Format. Convert if necessary to choice of fixable format. For this example I choose to use the RTF —> Open Office ODT sequence, so convert to RTF.
  • Save To Disk. Select the book. Save To Disk the fixable format into a Fix Formats folder.
  • Open Format in Clean-up Application. Drag and drop the format to be fixed (RTF) onto Editor (Open Office) icon.
  • Replace Each Problem with Fix. For each problem, choose options in Find & Replace carefully, then fix it. For someone not sophisticated yet with Regular Expression syntax and convolutions, this usually means using character mode rather than Regular Expression mode, and multiple passes for each different problem. As a rule of thumb for using character mode, the first pass finds/replaces the longest and most complex string, next pass the longest and most complex existing string, next pass the longest and most complex existing string, and so on until that find/replace sequence is done and that particular problem fixed. After fixing problem, fix the next problem, until all annoying problems fixable at current skill level are fixed. One specific goal is to get rid of headers, footers, and page numbers and avoid splitting paragraphs in the process. Other goals are to fix any other annoyances that are quickly fixable, such as pagination problems by removing all page breaks then inserting page-break to precede each chapter heading; fixing bold style applied to all of some chapters but not other chapters; margins, indents, and section breaks. Stick to the time limit per book.
  • Save as ODT. Save as ODT format back into the same folder in Fix Formats that calibre saved out, at the same level as the unfixed RTF and OPF file.
  • Add into calibre. Drag and drop the ODT from Fix Formats folder back into calibre. In "Add duplicates?" dialog box, click Yes.
  • Convert to Preferred Format. Convert ODT to Preferred Format.
  • Re-Assess. Do quick assessment of that new Preferred Format. If it doesn't look okay, either convert the ODT to Preferred Format with different conversion settings to fix it, or go back to Fix Formats folder, open that ODT in Open Office, fix it better, re-add to calibre, re-assess. In the FQ column: update its Format Quality Rating, remove problem tags for problems that were fixed, and enter tags for any newly discovered problems.
  • Remove Duplicates. Compare metadata in fixed book record with corresponding unfixed book record(s). If necessary correct metadata for the fixed book. Remove the corresponding unfixed book(s).

Editing Metadata
Spoiler:

For Newly Added Books:
  • Apply Author Naming Convention to Authors. Apply preferred convention of "FN LN" (First_Name Last_Name) or "LN, FN" (Last_Name, First_Name). Select all records to be switched, Edit Metadata in Bulk, Search and Replace Tab. Choose Regular Expression in Search Mode menu box. Choose appropriate Regular Expression in the Load Search/Replace menu box, click OK. I use the convention FN LN primarily because it's usually less work, and is easiest when using internet sites to get books or standardize metadata—most of those sites like the FN LN convention pasted into the site's Search box, and some balk at the comma in LN, FN.
  • Set up "FN LN" and LN, FN" Regular Expressions. If necessary, set this up for the first time. Select two books that both have the same naming convention "FN LN". In Edit Metadata in Bulk, Search/Replace Tab, choose "Regular Expression" in the Search Mode menu box. Choose "Replace Field" in the Mode menu box and next to that check the Split Result checkbox. Keep Case Sensitive checked. Leave blank the menu box for Apply Function After Replace. Choose "authors" in the Search field menu box and also choose "authors" in the Destination field menu box. In the "Search For" and "Replace With" boxes, enter the Regular Expressions below for "FN LN --> LN, FN" into each relevant box, then check results in the Test Results boxes at the bottom. Click the Save button next to Load Search/Replace menu box and Name it "FN LN --> LN, FN" in the little dialog box that pops up. Click the Apply button. Again, choose "authors" in the Search field menu box and also choose "authors" in the Destination field menu box. Enter the Regular Expressions below for "LN, FN --> FN LN" into each relevant box, then check results in the Test Results boxes at the bottom. Click the Save button next to Load Search/Replace menu box and Name it "LN, FN --> FN LN" in the little dialog box that pops up. Click OK button.

FN LN --> LN, FN

Search for:
Code:
(.*) (.+)
Replace with:
Code:
\2, \1
LN, FN --> FN LN

Search for:
Code:
(.+), (.*)
Replace with:
Code:
\2 \1
  • Reset Author Sort. Select all newly added books, Edit Metadata in Bulk, leave the Authors field blank, put check in box under Author(s) field, click OK to automatically reset author sort. Or, alternatively, click the button at bottom of Tag Browser named "Manage authors, tags, etc", select "Manage Authors", and Click the button named "Recalculate all author sort values".
  • Count Pages. Count pages using the Count Pages plugin.
  • Extract ISBN. Optional. The ISBN makes the Metadata Download more precise, but it also limits the choices in Metadata Download so not using the ISBN may better in some cases, such as with books published in foreign countries. To extract ISBN, use the Extract ISBN plugin.
  • Download Metadata and Covers. First review the Preferences for Metadata Download to make sure only the desired options are checked, to be certain not to overwrite any of the columns previously edited. Then download the desired metadata and covers. My download choices usually are: Published date, Publisher, Comments, Cover. I keep only a few sources checked (figuring the more checked, the slower the grab). Amazon's metadata seemed more consistently accurate with broader item availability than others. I supplement Amazon's Comments with Goodreads (plugin) for Comments. I also use ISBNdb and Open Library. I keep other metadata sources unchecked and use on a case by case basis when needed. Optionally, change settings to test various metadata download sources and options.
  • Add Wishlist Items. Optionally, create wishlist records for any omnibus, collection, or anthology "Elements" that it would be nice to have separately, be easily searchable, or be good placeholders for series numbering. For each wishlist item, enter or correct metadata in Authors, and enter Title. For all of the wishlist items, do a Metadata Download and enter _q0 in FQ (Format Quality). Creating wishlist records for Elements of Omnibuses at this point simplifies correcting series information a little later. As a personal preference, I do this only for Omnibus "Elements" that are novels, and not for short story Elements in Omnibuses, Collections, or Anthologies.
  • Enter Tags in Remaining Columns. For each newly added book including wishlist items, enter tags in remaining columns such as Series, Genres, Kinds, Misc, Note. If necessary refer to information in Comments or in the book or use a Good Metadata Site such as Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB).
For All Newly Added Books and Previously Processed Books by Same Authors:
  • Remove Duplicates. Check for duplicates in several passes. For each duplicate book group found in each pass, ensure they are duplicates, if necessary correct metadata for whichever book has the better Format Quality Rating (FQR), then remove the record(s) with worse FQR. If not using Find Duplicates plugin, to associate similar books manually use three passes, sort in the first pass by Title, the second by Author, the third by ISBN. If using the Find Duplicates plugin, do a pass for Similar titles and Authors, a pass for Fuzzy Titles and Authors, a pass for ISBNs, and when done disengage the Duplicates restriction.
  • Do Final Editing of Metadata. Do final editing of metadata by comparing metadata between older books and newly added books by the same author, and compare metadata with the metadata on a Good Metadata Site. To make the metadata as consistent as possible, it's important to use a Good Metadata Site that has good lists of consistent metadata and good metadata conventions across multiple authors and genres, such as Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB), to correct and standardize metadata in all columns for all newly added books and older books by the same author that were previously in the library. Other potential sites: Goodreads and Fantastic Fiction are okay; Wikipedia is sometimes okay for popular authors; individual author sites are sometimes good, usually okay, sometimes bad; Amazon or other vendor sites are usually less than okay for standardization of series name and index.
For Each Newly Added or Previously Processed Book by Same Authors, Edit Columns:
  • Authors. Ensure all co-authors are entered and are in correct order.
  • Series and Series Index. Enter or correct Series name and Series Index using the same Series Name and Series Index used by the Good Metadata Site. This is important particularly for multi-author series where the series name and indexing should be consistent across authors. Optionally, when a single-author series is complete and not likely to be added to, change the series name to the broadest available (such as Valdemar rather than Mage Storms) and Index order to reading order by internal content rather than publication date, by using a site such as the author's official site that lists the broader Series' reading order. Otherwise, try to use just one convention for Series and just one convention for Series Index consistently across all authors and series in the library.
  • Title. Double-check Title. Append edition information in parentheses after title, such as "(3rd Ed.)".
  • Published Date. Correct Published Date to whatever convention is preferred. Metadata Download often provides date of first publication, at least for recent books. For nearly all fiction I correct Published Date to that of the first publication except when important for helping to distinguish between multiple editions of one title.
  • FQ (Format Quality). Ensure each book has a Format Quality Rating (FQR), including wishlist items. Ensure any _q1 or _q2 FQRs also have a _q0 FQR, or any _q5 FQRs also have a _q4. Ensure the FQR is appropriate to any format problem tags that were previously entered.
  • Formats. Ensure each book has a Preferred Format. I include wishlist items in this. If a wishlist item has no format, I select it and use Adding Books "Add files to selected book records" to add the Empty Placeholder Format to it. For any record that has more than one format, ensure the kept formats are for format problems by examining format problem tags in FQ. For records with Format Quality Rating of _q3 or _q4, remove all formats except Preferred Format.
  • Pages. Ensure each book has a Page Count. I don't exclude wishlist items.
  • Genres. Ensure each book has a primary genre and any relevant secondary genres. Enter any desired additional tags to track things such as young adult, vampire, magic, alternative history, military, and so on.
  • Kinds. Enter or correct tags for novel, collection, anthology, omnibus, short story.
  • Misc. Enter or correct tags to indicate if it is a multiple-author series, if the series is up to date for all members of the series, if want "To Read" it, if paper book is owned, and (when memory serves) "My Content Rating" for any still unrated books that were previously read. Enter awards. I only track awards for speculative fiction and paranormal genres, only for novels, and only with prestigious awards like Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy, Pearl, and RITA.
  • Note. If any books have or need a note or other tag in Note column, ensure it's applied to all relevant books by that author or in that series (depending on which level it applies to—book, author, or series).
  • Publisher. Metadata Downloads bring in variations of names for Publisher, where some may be Publisher Name, Inc., Publisher Name Trade, Publisher Name Enterprises, Publisher Name Fantasy, Publisher Name Science Fiction, etc, all referring to one publisher. I standardize those to the simplest name that identifies the publisher. Such as Random House rather than Random House Inc or Random House Trade, or Tor rather than Tor Science Fiction or Tor Fantasy.
  • ISBN. Ensure each book has an ISBN unless an ISBN doesn't exist for it. In those cases I tag them "xISBN" in Misc column, meaning "Looked for ISBN and it doesn't exist". Convert any remaining ISBN10s to ISBN13s by using the web site ISBN Converter.
  • Cover. Replace bad, flawed, or missing cover with good cover. For any short stories or other books with no covers existing or available, generate a calibre cover. A calibre cover means a cover was looked for but didn't exist or wasn't found at the time the record was processed.
  • Source. Ensure Source indicates source name. If missing, enter source name or "Unknown".
  • Tags and Temp. Remove temporary tags from the Tags and Temp columns, including the "Newly Added" tag that calibre automatically assigned in Tags column and any other temporary processing tags that may have been used for convenience while processing these books.

Reading Books
Spoiler:

For Current Library:
  • Generate Catalog. My usual Catalog configuration is as follows: In the Catalog dialog box, Catalog Options tab, select catalog format EPUB. In the E-Book Options tab, check only "Books by Authors". Also in the E-Book Options tab, in the "Read Books" area select FQ (Format Quality) column and enter "_q0" for the value, to use checkmarks in catalog to indicate wishlist items rather than books read.
  • Search Library for "To Reads". Search entire library on the tag or value used for "To Read" to get a list of those books. Add any newsfeeds or catalogs to the list if they are not sent automatically to devices. I use a Saved Search named "To Load" to find a list of all the items I might want to load on devices, including "To Reads", Newsfeeds, and Catalogs. I like to manually control what items are sent to which device.
  • Load Device with Connect To iTunes. Select books to load through iTunes, then Choose Connect To iTunes under the Share icon. Click Send to Device icon. The only exceptions are problem, graphic-laden, or technical PDFs that might be better to read in PDF format, so Send those by choosing the menu command to send the specific format. Later connect the device and sync through iTunes.
  • Load Device with Send To Device. Connect device. Select books to load, then choose Send To Device. Say yes in dialog box for calibre to automatically convert them if necessary. I load my Kindle this way. I do most reading on the Kindle rather than iPad since I read mostly fiction and most of that fiction is text except for cover and sometimes a map or two. The Kindle is lighter than the iPad, has less glare, and the battery lasts much longer. On Kindle I nearly always have wireless turned off so the battery needs charging less frequently.
  • Note, Loading Devices. I load a device only a few books at a time, usually less than ten counting catalog and newsfeeds. When I travel, I bring a laptop holding the calibre library along so don't need to load lots of books at once. And don't need to rely on the Content Server, or any awkward connection or selection convolutions on the device or in the Reading application.
  • Note, on Collections. I don't use collections on devices or in columns, because I find it easier to refer to tags in calibre while avoiding extra work or extra columns devoted to unnecessary redundancy.
  • Read Some Books. Read some books on a reading device. This is the reward for all the hard work.
In calibre Library, For Each Book Read:
  • Rate Content Quality. Soon after reading each book, rate that book's content quality.
  • Remove "To Read" Tag. Remove the tag used for "To Read".
  • Revise Format Quality Tags. In cases where more serious format problems were discovered, try to fix them right away, or change the Format Quality Rating (FQR) to "_q0" to downgrade to wishlist/placeholder. Also enter tags for the type of format problems discovered trying to read it.
  • Revise Other Metadata. Correct any other metadata as necessary, such as secondary genres, with the new knowledge about the book from reading it.
  • Remove Conversion Format. If a format (such as MOBI) was generated from Preferred Format just for reading on that device, remove that device-specific format from the book record in the library, keeping just the Preferred Format. For problem PDFs, keep those along with the Preferred Format.
  • Remove Book from Device. Remove the book from the device.

Links
Spoiler:

Links Key:
  • Internal links for MobileRead Threads or Posts are for information, or in rare cases for a script and labeled "script".
  • External information links are for wikis and other information sources.
  • External links for tools are for software tools useful in conjunction with calibre. Tools recommended by experienced people at MobileRead have "recommended" in parentheses. Any I haven't tried enough myself are indicated with "noted" in parentheses.

calibre:
Devices:
DRM (Digital Rights Management):
eBooks:
File Renaming in Operating System:
KISS Principle:
Metadata Standardization:
Workflow:

Formats, Conversions:
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets):
EPUB (Electronic Publication):
HTML, XHTML:
HTML—Alternate Browsers (Readers):
Graphics:
MOBI (Mobipocket, related Kindle formats):
PDF (Portable Document Format):
TXT, RTF, DOC (Text, Rich Text, Document; Word Processing Formats):

Version History:

Last edited by unboggling; 09-11-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Link to new thread and version.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Amazing effort

I wonder about your Preference setting section:
Are these original defaults or your recommendations? (A terse: "why I chose or a link to...?" might be indicated)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
unboggling
by the bootstraps
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder about your Preference setting section:
Are these original defaults or your recommendations? (A terse: "why I chose or a link to...?" might be indicated)
OK, in the OP I clarified as follows:
Quote:
Note, My Settings. My current Preference settings are listed below. Some are original defaults, some aren't. The settings in the list are offered as examples of one user's settings, and not as recommendations for new users. These settings have evolved to meet my needs, and I often change specific settings as needed.
If you're suggesting a why/explanation for each and every setting option, that would expand the Preferences section to at least twice the length, probably more. Some of them are just what they are and don't need explanation, some I may not know an explanation. Are there any specific setting options that you think need further explanation?

Edit: And some are explained farther down in relevant section, such as Adding Books.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-21-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed error in quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
unboggling
by the bootstraps

I added some explanations in Preference Settings section.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
your effort is appreciated by me. just fyi. thx.
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
unboggling
by the bootstraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.D.02809 View Post
your effort is appreciated by me. just fyi. thx.
You're welcome.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Divingduck
Fanatic
Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Divingduck never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Verry usefull. Thank you.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
unboggling
by the bootstraps

You're welcome.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
I might add:
"Look and Feel, Book Details. Unchecked, Roman Numerals—they're not as easy to understand at a glance."
The check box for roman numerals is off to the right and not in the main list of options. Those of us with tunnel vision could spend entirely too much time looking for it without further instruction
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
unboggling
by the bootstraps

-----

Please link to the latest thread & version: How I Manage eBooks with calibre

-----

(oops, forgot that adding the link as a new post would bring this thread to top again. sorry…)

(and belated thanks to jlutes. I did add a pointer to where to find those pesky roman numerals.)

Last edited by unboggling; 09-11-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: oops

Tags
calibre, examples, methods, new users, workflow