Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
WS64's Avatar
 
Posts: 452
Karma: 504888
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Device: Kobo Aura / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Kindle 3 / Nook Color
Peakcrew, not that I know of.
I had the other non-western 2.0 firmware on my German Kobo before, nothing bad happened.
I don't see many changes, the home screen looks slightly different, the clock pops up when you go to the settings within a book, nothing major.
But it's worth alone for the fast page turns in EPUBs.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #32
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Thanks for that, WS64. I'll bear that in mind. If it cures the grasshopper behaviour of the selection tool, as I read in another post, then I'll have a go!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
filmo
Guru
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 786
Karma: 825000
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
4. I use my finger nail on the protruding switch symbol now.

6. When reader is turned off it uses fair amount of processor power to load data base with power on. For this reason I have auto turn off reader set to never. I manually turn reader off when I will not use it for 8 hours or days.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #34
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
[QUOTE=filmo;2200089]4. I use my finger nail on the protruding switch symbol now. [/QUOTE

Again, it might just be the way I interact with the screen, but I can't get anything smaller than a finger-end to register a touch. I've tried fingernail, pen, blunt end of a pencil - all to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
6. When reader is turned off it uses fair amount of processor power to load data base with power on. For this reason I have auto turn off reader set to never. I manually turn reader off when I will not use it for 8 hours or days.
Thanks for that confirmation of what I'm seeing. My measuring of the length of time between need to recharge has been confounded by attaching the KT to the computer for Calibre-ating, but it certainly seems to be much easier on the power just to let it sleep most of the time.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #35
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,200
Karma: 317474
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Somewhere on the forums yesterday I found someone who had done a batch file for extracting the annotations to text, but I cannot remember where it was. I'm not ignoring murg's suggestions (thanks, mate), but I'm a bit wary about playing with the database yet . I need a clear day to have a fiddle with a copy (which I have just made).
mayby it is this one http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65&page=57#851
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #36
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
That's the one! Yesterday was a public holiday here in the UK, so I had been forced out of the house by my wife, and hadn't had a chance to look. Thank you for the reminder, and your cleverness in writing it - I am woefully ignorant about coding.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Kobo Touch after seven months

I finally have a few minutes to revisit old friends, such as this site! I haven't had much time to do anything more complicated with my KT but use it as a reader, what with house moving and job-changing (again!), but I thought it would be worthwhile just reviewing how the seven months of ownership have gone.

I'm currently running firmware 2.3.1, which is okay, but it has the old problem of displaying the wrong book-cover - not a huge problem, but it has chosen the most boring cover in my collection! Ah well - I only read one book at a time, so I know what it is!

Beyond that, it has been largely problem-free, with the exception of hanging once just when I was settling down to a comfortable read in the bath, requiring a reset and a download of my books again - that has been the extent of my interaction with Calibre, so I'm out of date with developments.

Battery life is good, especially since I have stopped annotating and just got on with reading! Three to four weeks is about the length of time it will go before shutting down and telling me to recharge - why isn't there an earlier warning than that!!

Overall, I'm delighted with it. I sometimes wish I had a Glo when my wife wants to sleep and I am still awake (if there are any clip-on lights that don't have a huge amount of spill I haven't found them yet), but in terms of reliability, it is great. My biggest argument is not with the KT itself, but with airlines that insist on it being turned off when there are still several minutes reading time left. No-one ever tells you to close a dead-tree, do they?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,002
Karma: 4808704
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I finally have a few minutes to revisit old friends, such as this site! I haven't had much time to do anything more complicated with my KT but use it as a reader, what with house moving and job-changing (again!), but I thought it would be worthwhile just reviewing how the seven months of ownership have gone.
Welcome back. It is always good to hear from someone who actually uses their reader for reading
Quote:

I'm currently running firmware 2.3.1, which is okay, but it has the old problem of displaying the wrong book-cover - not a huge problem, but it has chosen the most boring cover in my collection! Ah well - I only read one book at a time, so I know what it is!
With 2.3.1, if it got the wrong cover, it never seemed to pick up the correct one. But, the problem was usually solved by making sure you returned to the home screen before the device went to sleep after opening a new book.
Quote:
Beyond that, it has been largely problem-free, with the exception of hanging once just when I was settling down to a comfortable read in the bath, requiring a reset and a download of my books again - that has been the extent of my interaction with Calibre, so I'm out of date with developments.
That is just proof that all gadgets are actually sentient an know when to fail to cause the most troubl.

No idea what calibre you are using, but the recent changes have been about series support and fiddling with covers and the Kobo collections (Read, Recommendations etc).
Quote:
Battery life is good, especially since I have stopped annotating and just got on with reading! Three to four weeks is about the length of time it will go before shutting down and telling me to recharge - why isn't there an earlier warning than that!!

Overall, I'm delighted with it. I sometimes wish I had a Glo when my wife wants to sleep and I am still awake (if there are any clip-on lights that don't have a huge amount of spill I haven't found them yet),
I can't imagine using a clip-on after using the Glo's light. I think you need to leave pictures of the Glo lying around where your wife will see them. Hopefully she will take the hint. Though my wife's reaction would more likely be "That's nice, I'd like one for my birthday".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #39
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Mrs_Often's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,310
Karma: 1495609
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Peak! Welcome back! You don't mean you've changed jobs AGAIN after the earlier recent job change to the teaching thing that made you leave MR, do you? And how's the new town? I remember saying it doesn't matter if it's boring because you'll be out of there in a year again anyway

Glad you're happy with your Touch. I couldn't go back to mine since I've used a Glo. The light is just delicious and it's much snappier and the resolution is wonderful. But eehh... the Touch is nice too...??

What do they think will happen if you leave your eink reader on during take off?? The ink will jump out of the screen and strangle someone? The battery will radiate interference? Pfff come on. Stupid stewards/esses.

You could upgrade to 2.4.0 to be rid of nonsense covers. As far as I remember the only real fat bugs in 2.4.0 are the Sudoku selection numbers being blacked out and Chess getting angry when you win.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #40
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
No idea what calibre you are using, but the recent changes have been about series support and fiddling with covers and the Kobo collections (Read, Recommendations etc).
I've just updated to 0.9.22 - another part of my relaxation is to check for updates of software that has been working well ... if that makes any sense at all!

Quote:
I can't imagine using a clip-on after using the Glo's light. I think you need to leave pictures of the Glo lying around where your wife will see them. Hopefully she will take the hint. Though my wife's reaction would more likely be "That's nice, I'd like one for my birthday".
Well, I might get away with it if I'm crafty - she has just texted to say she is on a six-hour train journey in Germany with nothing to read! I might offer her my KT if I am allowed to get a Glo! The answer is likely to be "You've just had a new camera, and you want a new (as in new to me) car, so you can just wait. Of course, she does have an argument - we are soon to be in the bit of the year where it doesn't really get dark here in Scotland (the new home - for now!)
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Peak! Welcome back!
Thank you!!

Quote:
You don't mean you've changed jobs AGAIN after the earlier recent job change to the teaching thing
Yes - plans didn't work out as everyone had hoped down in Coventry, so I'm self-employed for a while, and looking for someone that would like to supervise a PhD.

Quote:
And how's the new town? I remember saying it doesn't matter if it's boring because you'll be out of there in a year again anyway
Well, it's okay, but nothing special. It's like the city I grew up near - the industry has gone, but 10-15 years later than where I came from, and it is still regenerating and deciding what it wants to be. Frighteningly high unemployment, though, and it shows in some areas. We've got a year's lease on the house, but since I have absolutely no intentions of moving in December again, it will be longer than that (landlord willing, of course - oh, and depending on if any exciting jobs come along!)

Quote:
Glad you're happy with your Touch. I couldn't go back to mine since I've used a Glo. The light is just delicious and it's much snappier and the resolution is wonderful. But eehh... the Touch is nice too...??
As I said to David above, I've had a lot of gadgets in the last six months - new Galaxy Note, new Galaxy Camera - so I'm not likely to get another one soon, at least until we decide on suitable cars for the area - we've had enough snow to make it a bit tricky a couple of times, but nothing as bad as southern England and northern Europe (has it been bad in the Netherlands?)

Quote:
What do they think will happen if you leave your eink reader on during take off?? The ink will jump out of the screen and strangle someone? The battery will radiate interference? Pfff come on. Stupid stewards/esses.
Having done some work in this area, it sort of makes sense if you take into account the lowest common denominator passenger, who may well have wifi etc switched on and not know anything about it. However, on every flight I've been on for years, there is at least on person who completely ignores the request anyway - just like the folks who are on the phone before they are off the plane, despite having been asked to wait until in the terminal. As to whether any of it it makes any difference - who knows, but with fly-by-wire planes, I'd rather the amount of potential interference with key systems is kept to a minimum!

Quote:
You could upgrade to 2.4.0 to be rid of nonsense covers. As far as I remember the only real fat bugs in 2.4.0 are the Sudoku selection numbers being blacked out and Chess getting angry when you win.
Aha! I didn't know 2.4.0 was out - applying the principle that it was working for its primary function, and I didn't want to have to mess with new firmware that has a new set of bugs - or are they "features"? I'll trundle off and plug the KT into a usb socket and let the desktop do its stuff.

Are there any other interesting threads at the moment?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,002
Karma: 4808704
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Well, it's okay, but nothing special. It's like the city I grew up near - the industry has gone, but 10-15 years later than where I came from, and it is still regenerating and deciding what it wants to be. Frighteningly high unemployment, though, and it shows in some areas. We've got a year's lease on the house, but since I have absolutely no intentions of moving in December again, it will be longer than that (landlord willing, of course - oh, and depending on if any exciting jobs come along!)
Moving in December would be a mistake here as well. But for the opposite reason: far to hot to do al that work.
Quote:
As I said to David above, I've had a lot of gadgets in the last six months - new Galaxy Note, new Galaxy Camera - so I'm not likely to get another one soon, at least until we decide on suitable cars for the area - we've had enough snow to make it a bit tricky a couple of times, but nothing as bad as southern England and northern Europe (has it been bad in the Netherlands?)
If she really loved you she'd let you have all the gadgets you wanted
Quote:
Aha! I didn't know 2.4.0 was out - applying the principle that it was working for its primary function, and I didn't want to have to mess with new firmware that has a new set of bugs - or are they "features"? I'll trundle off and plug the KT into a usb socket and let the desktop do its stuff.
Personally, I think 2.4.0 is better than 2.3.1. The only bug that I am finding annoying is the reader will go to sleep about 60 seconds after being woken if you don't touch the screen. After that it uses the correct timeout value.
Quote:

Are there any other interesting threads at the moment?
Interesting threads? Well, we have found out a lot about Mrs_Often in the last few days in http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200. Among other things, she's is a Tiny Tim fan.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #43
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If she really loved you she'd let you have all the gadgets you wanted
And then I'd have another pile of stuff to move next time! As it is, I'm seriously thinking about copying all my music to data files and getting rid of the physical media, but some of my vinyl albums have been with me for over three-quarters of my life - it doesn't seem right!

Quote:
Personally, I think 2.4.0 is better than 2.3.1. The only bug that I am finding annoying is the reader will go to sleep about 60 seconds after being woken if you don't touch the screen. After that it uses the correct timeout value.
I haven't noticed that yet, but I haven't had the update for 24 hours yet. Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Interesting threads? Well, we have found out a lot about Mrs_Often in the last few days in http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200. Among other things, she's is a Tiny Tim fan.
That's a fun thread, and informative too! Now I'm going to have to stop just using the KT for reading and fiddle in the settings ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #44
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Mrs_Often's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,310
Karma: 1495609
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Yes - plans didn't work out as everyone had hoped down in Coventry, so I'm self-employed for a while, and looking for someone that would like to supervise a PhD.
Oh my! I'd hate to move to far away just for a job only to find out the job's not going to work out At least Scotland is nice Good luck finding a PhD position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Well, it's okay, but nothing special. It's like the city I grew up near - the industry has gone, but 10-15 years later than where I came from, and it is still regenerating and deciding what it wants to be. Frighteningly high unemployment, though, and it shows in some areas. We've got a year's lease on the house, but since I have absolutely no intentions of moving in December again, it will be longer than that (landlord willing, of course - oh, and depending on if any exciting jobs come along!)
Sounds like lots of room for improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
As I said to David above, I've had a lot of gadgets in the last six months - new Galaxy Note, new Galaxy Camera - so I'm not likely to get another one soon, at least until we decide on suitable cars for the area - we've had enough snow to make it a bit tricky a couple of times, but nothing as bad as southern England and northern Europe (has it been bad in the Netherlands?)
Yep it's been snowy and icey and freeeeezing. But we're used to irregular weather so no huge problems or anything. And I like freezing so it's been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If she really loved you she'd let you have all the gadgets you wanted
Yes indeed. Because love is giving each other gadgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Having done some work in this area, it sort of makes sense if you take into account the lowest common denominator passenger, who may well have wifi etc switched on and not know anything about it. However, on every flight I've been on for years, there is at least on person who completely ignores the request anyway - just like the folks who are on the phone before they are off the plane, despite having been asked to wait until in the terminal. As to whether any of it it makes any difference - who knows, but with fly-by-wire planes, I'd rather the amount of potential interference with key systems is kept to a minimum!
Well alllllright then. Sigh. Still annoying though. Lucky I don't fly around much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Aha! I didn't know 2.4.0 was out - applying the principle that it was working for its primary function, and I didn't want to have to mess with new firmware that has a new set of bugs - or are they "features"? I'll trundle off and plug the KT into a usb socket and let the desktop do its stuff.
Yes 2.4.0 is quite nice and I agree with David, better than 2.3.1. There are some bugs, but not everyone experiences them and I actually haven't seen any, apart from the Sudoku and chess tantrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Are there any other interesting threads at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Interesting threads? Well, we have found out a lot about Mrs_Often in the last few days in http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200. Among other things, she's is a Tiny Tim fan.
Oh quite. Laalalaaa tulips... laalalalaaa tip-toeing... oh such fun. My clogs are wearing down though, I need to make a new pair.

But the main threads at the moment are about battery issues during sleep mode in some of the newer devices. So far, in some Glo's and in newer model Touches, but only for some people. Threads started out here and here and a few others which have now merged into here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
That's a fun thread, and informative too! Now I'm going to have to stop just using the KT for reading and fiddle in the settings ...
BE CAREFUL! You might end up only fiddling. I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually sat down to have a good old reading session. It's all about testing and messing about nowadays. Sigh.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-16-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Peakcrew's Avatar
 
Posts: 380
Karma: 36724
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh my! I'd hate to move to far away just for a job only to find out the job's not going to work out At least Scotland is nice Good luck finding a PhD position.
Well, the move here was because my wife got a good job. My plan was to commute to Coventry at least until the end of the academic year, but it is probably for the best that it didn't work out - if only because I haven't had to travel in the bad weather. The PhD is quite exciting - I might get my doctorate in time to use it before I have to retire!

Quote:
Sounds like lots of room for improvement
I'm sure it will get there eventually. There are plans to build one of the Victoria and Albert museum outreach places here, which might get some tourists from Edinburgh - not that I want to live in a tourist town. However, looking at the levels of deprivation, something is needed.


Quote:
Yep it's been snowy and icey and freeeeezing. But we're used to irregular weather so no huge problems or anything. And I like freezing so it's been fun
Yep, me too - I don't like warm weather, and I'm much happier when it is below 10 degrees outside.

Quote:
Yes indeed. Because love is giving each other gadgets.
Not here - one-off days out and pointless rubbish are the way to say "I love you", apparently.


Quote:
Yes 2.4.0 is quite nice and I agree with David, better than 2.3.1. There are some bugs, but not everyone experiences them and I actually haven't seen any, apart from the Sudoku and chess tantrums.
I didn't even know there is a chess program!

Quote:
My clogs are wearing down though, I need to make a new pair.
Surely that's what Mr_Often should be doing!

[/QUOTE]But the main threads at the moment are about battery issues during sleep mode in some of the newer devices. So far, in some Glo's and in newer model Touches, but only for some people. Threads started out here and here and a few others which have now merged into here.[/QUOTE]

I'll have a look. As I said earlier, I don't have a problem with battery life, but it is useful to know. It also puts into context your comments about not wanting to plug in your Glo because it would mess up your test. I'm surprised you forgot about the SD card option, though ...

Quote:
BE CAREFUL! You might end up only fiddling. I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually sat down to have a good old reading session. It's all about testing and messing about nowadays. Sigh.
I know - it is always a temptation to do something practical when I have time on my hands. So far this week I've upgraded one computer to Windows 7, serviced the car, tidied my study (at last!), and now I'm running out of jobs. The laptop will probably get the Win7 treatment next week, and then I suppose I'll have to tackle the garden. Oh, and I've been learning Android too - lots of fiddling to do there! However,the KT will end up becoming toy not friend again soon - I can tell!!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
firmware update, kobo touch, setting up, wifi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My experience with the kobo touch donnie_ Kobo Reader 14 03-29-2012 06:08 AM
Touch Kobo Touch Experience so far Aydan Kobo Reader 12 02-03-2012 10:42 PM
For those looking to brighten up their kobo experience aycn602 Kobo Tablets 12 12-02-2011 09:06 PM
Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch and Libra Pro Touch jbcohen Which one should I buy? 4 06-18-2011 07:58 PM
My Initial Disappointments with the Kobo Reader Croptop Kobo Reader 7 05-01-2010 10:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.