Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Talking Gimme the top 10 of fantasy and sci-fi books

the title explains it all.I am a total fantasy and sci-fi addict .i am total e-.

Last edited by techiemonkey; 06-30-2012 at 03:24 AM.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Fantasy and sci-fi together? So you want 10 books about space dragons and guys with plasma swords?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Oh no!that will be sort of weird.i want fantasy and sci-fi separately.and i want recommendations from every one.so that i have many books oops ebooks to read
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Oh no!that will be sort of weird.i want fantasy and sci-fi separately.and i want recommendations from every one.so that i have many books oops ebooks to read
Well the granddaddy of fantasy is Tolkien of course, gotta love The Lord of the Rings. I've been enjoying George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire though it does drag in places and his writing pace can be described as glacial. Waiting for new books can be a chore. Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion is one of my favorites and I'm liking the follow-up series Paladin's Legacy so far with 3 of 5 books released. Despite being a dungeons and dragons tie-in, I really enjoyed Lynn Abby's Rise and fall of a Dragon King. Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy is one I like to go back and re-read.

There's a nice pile of books to get through. *walks away hugging her autographed copy of Paksenarrion*
Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

now that you mention the lord of the rings,should i read the hobbit first or directly go to the lord of the rings?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I am still catching up with newer authors since I haven't been reading much fiction lately, until I got an ereader that is. That said...

For science fiction, I would recommend Iain M. Banks. Some of his stuff is in a series called the Culture series, which you could read in order though it isn't necessary to do so. Two of my favorites in that series are "Look to Windward" and "Use of Weapons". This is far-future "space opera" in a society where technology has progressed to the point where almost anything is possible, and some of the big players are artificial intelligences called "Minds". The stories are totally character-driven, with lots of drama and twists.

Another author I like is Neal Stephenson. "The Diamond Age" is really good. I have recently started reading the Baroque Cycle series. I would say this is a must for anyone who considers themself a liberal science nerd and wants to understand his or her own history. It tells the story of the birth of modern science and modern liberal democracy in the form of a wide-ranging adventure story with lots of colorful figures.

One of the "new guys" I have read recently is China Mieville, the New Corbuzon series. This is very dark and dramatic quasi-steampunk fantasy where you never know what will happen next.

I should also mention William Gibson though I am sure you would be up with him.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
now that you mention the lord of the rings,should i read the hobbit first or directly go to the lord of the rings?
A "total fantasy and scifi addict" who hasn't already read Tolkien?

How about we start with your top 10 and go from there?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

my top

well the thing is i have not read every book out there,but still here is my top in no specific order:
The Inheritance Cycle(i know everyone says it is a lord of the rings and some other books' copy but still i couldn't read every book that is 100% orginal)
The Marzan Book of The Fallen(LITTLE DIFFICULT)
Magyk(is ok but the wording is childlike)
couldn't remember more books,they had all sorts of names.
remembered another
you will say i am being a child but stilll it was enjoyable but not with tons of action,wording,thrill etc mind you
percy jackson
the kane chronicles
but these are just small books.i am not remembering the best books i have read.
and every body how is a game of thrones.and can i read the lord of the rings right away or only after reading the hobbit.

Last edited by techiemonkey; 06-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
There's about 27 threads on this. How about trying a search?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
I am still catching up with newer authors since I haven't been reading much fiction lately, until I got an ereader that is. That said...

For science fiction, I would recommend Iain M. Banks. Some of his stuff is in a series called the Culture series, which you could read in order though it isn't necessary to do so. Two of my favorites in that series are "Look to Windward" and "Use of Weapons". This is far-future "space opera" in a society where technology has progressed to the point where almost anything is possible, and some of the big players are artificial intelligences called "Minds". The stories are totally character-driven, with lots of drama and twists.

Another author I like is Neal Stephenson. "The Diamond Age" is really good. I have recently started reading the Baroque Cycle series. I would say this is a must for anyone who considers themself a liberal science nerd and wants to understand his or her own history. It tells the story of the birth of modern science and modern liberal democracy in the form of a wide-ranging adventure story with lots of colorful figures.

One of the "new guys" I have read recently is China Mieville, the New Corbuzon series. This is very dark and dramatic quasi-steampunk fantasy where you never know what will happen next.

I should also mention William Gibson though I am sure you would be up with him.

You've pretty much targeted my antithesis list. (with the possible exception of Banks which I've not read yet). I've tried reading all the others and pretty much despise them.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-01-2012 at 07:10 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

well it is still good to start a new thread,as we can get more updated and modern lists and i dont know why but i think new threads attract people more than very old threads.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

techiemonkey uh might I ask how old you are? If you're under 16 I'll remove my comments about a Song of Ice and Fire. I don't want to be responsible for corrupting a child, it worked out badly for Socrates.

Inheritance Cycle is the hero's journey played out pretty faithfully. The reason is resembles other works is because they also used the formula. They also did a better job with it. I own copies of the four books, they're okay for what they are but you can find better tellings out there.

You don't have to read The Hobbit first, you can if you like but anything you need to know is explained in the prologue of the Fellowship of the Ring
Old 06-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You've pretty much targeted my antithesis list. (with the possible exception of Banks which I've not read yet). I've tried reading all the other and pretty much despise them.
Meh, old fohey. *throws a Margaret Atwood hardcover at Kenny*
Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

oh dont worry, i am 20 years old
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You've pretty much targeted my antithesis list. (with the possible exception of Banks which I've not read yet). I've tried reading all the other and pretty much despise them.
Well at least you offered a possible exception to Mr. Banks
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote