Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
HIGH CPU Usage Problem

I have around 10200 books in my library. All are up to date with metadata and appropriate editing. The library is approximately 10GB in size. I was trying to bulk convert about 3000 books from *.pdf to *.mobi, to read on our Kindles, and I kept getting a high cpu and handle usage notification. The program (Calibre) seemed to stick or freeze regularly. The program most always resumes after a while. I have the preferences set to use 4 CPU's. I opened the task manger, resource monitor, and all 4 cpu's were maxed out. I alternatively reassigned priority in the process manager from low to high to all 4 helper and the main Calibre processes to no avail. I have an AMD quad processor at 2.00 MHZ, 16GB RAM, and the RAM consistantly is stable at about 2GB of usage during this process. The CPU fan stays on constantly, revving up and down raggedly, and I'm a bit afraid of frying the CPU. It pretty well stays off during any other Calibre or other program utilization. By the way, this same thing occurs with a smaller batch of books being converted. Anything over 4 produces the same effects. And, during the process, if any exceptions, such as a book with DRM that can't be converted, occur, it causes at least a temporary freeze.

I'm using Win7 64 bit, and all 16GB of RAM is available to use. From what I've researched, I can find no way to allocate more RAM to specific programs to alleviate high CPU usage. Is there a way to do so with Calibre or the Win7 64bit OS?
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under preferences->miscellenaeous in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have looked there, Sir, but other than setting the CPU's to 4, I see no other tweak that I can recognize to allocate more RAM to assist the CPU/Disk Write slowdown.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
I could be wrong but AFAIK calibre is compiled as a 32-bit Windows app - there is no 64-bit version. So you aren't going to be able to use more than 2GB.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Set the number of worker processes to 1. Your CPU wont get loaded. Though really, if you have a computer where you are afraid of running the CPU at 100% you should saw off half the CPU and put it on your mantelpiece.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
country0129
Country0129

<blush>

Sorry, Sir, no mantle here.

That may be the problem, though, that the program is compiled 32 bit; so it won't take advantage of the additional, available, RAM.

I can use software pretty well, but I'm nowhere as adept with programming and hardware knowledge as you gurus.

I did start the program in "DEBUG" mode, made a couple of screen captures of it in action. Perhaps it will surface something to you, but, if not, I appreciate the timely responses each of you have made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-JobDetails-ResourceMonitor.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	87704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-Resource Monitor.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	87705  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Debug Log.txt (105.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Hop over to BOINC. These folk run 100% 24/7.

Variable speed CPU fans run wide open under these loads (I have worn out 2 on a CELERON that BOINC adds 100 Watts to the Computers power consumption over idle).

The down side is the room gets warm without A/C

Keep your fan blades clean, Grills and fins (mostly) lint free.
Most modern Motherboards have CPU overheat protections (clock throttle, then shutdown).

BTW you are wasting CPU cycles if you are not using 100% of them
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
I have looked there, Sir, but other than setting the CPU's to 4, I see no other tweak that I can recognize to allocate more RAM to assist the CPU/Disk Write slowdown.
Just as a side note: More RAM used does not equal less CPU used.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Nobody has said it, but conversion from PDF to anything can be very time and CPU consuming. PDF is the very worst input format because everything is specified in fixed position on a page, which is no use at all when trying to convert to an ereader format.

You might be happier trying to convert only a few at a time....even one, if badly constructed from the ebook perspective can be a real drain. Unfortunately for you, calibre for supercomputers hasn't come out yet!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
country0129
Country0129

You folks have alleviated my suspicions of something amiss with the problems I cited. However, I did surface what I think is a glitch with the new upgrade: I "X'd" out of the program after trying to convert one of those pesky *.pdf books, crunched it for about 45 minutes, and I gave it up for a lost cause.

I abandoned anything I was doing with Calibre and started doing something else simple, like checking email or something, I forget. I noticed that the 'puter was a little sluggish; so I opened the task manager to peruse open applications. Nothing amiss. However, when I opened the process manager, I found two Calibre applications still running though I'd closed the program. Each of them was still trying to render the *.pdf I'd been working earlier. Wish I'd have jotted down the name of the process, but I do remember it was something like, "pdfconvhlpr" but don't quote me about that. Just it was weird that Calibre still had a process going after the progam had been "closed."

Tags
conversion problems, cpu usage, ram