Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Short Stories Vote June 2012 • The MR Literary Club
The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka 4 25.00%
My Old Man by Ernest Hemingway 4 25.00%
Fifty-One Tales by Lord Dunsany 4 25.00%
The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor 1 6.25%
Selected Stories of O. Henry 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Short Stories Vote June 2012 • The MR Literary Club

Help us choose the June 2012 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The poll will be open for three days.

In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day run-off poll. In the event that the run-off poll also ends in a tie, the tie will be resolved in favour of the selection that received all of its initial nominations first.

Note - Our timeline is changing slightly and next month's nominations will begin on JULY 1ST.

Select from the following works:

The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
Spoiler:
A collection of almost all short to medium length works

My Old Man by Ernest Hemingway
Spoiler:

Fifty-One Tales by Lord Dunsany
Spoiler:
This collection shows Dunsany (Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany) to be a master of the short story from pure fantasy to commentary on the human spirit and society.

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
Spoiler:
From wikipedia:

Mary Flannery O'Connor (March 25, 1925 – August 3, 1964) was an American novelist, short-story writer and essayist. An important voice in American literature, O'Connor wrote two novels and 32 short stories, as well as a number of reviews and commentaries. She was a Southern writer who often wrote in a Southern Gothic style and relied heavily on regional settings and grotesque characters. O'Connor's writing also reflected her own Roman Catholic faith, and frequently examined questions of morality and ethics.

Her Complete Stories won the 1972 U.S. National Book Award for Fiction and was named the "Best of the National Book Awards" by internet visitors in 2009.

Selected Stories of O. Henry
Spoiler:
Barnes & Noble Classics Series Volume

O. Henry originated the humorous, energetic tale that ends with an ironic, even shocking twist. In "After Twenty Years," for example, two boys agree to meet at a particular spot exactly twenty years later. Both are faithful, but in the intervening years one boy has turned into a criminal, the other into a policeman. Behind the rendezvous lurks a powerful dramatic situation with a fascinating moral dilemma--all in a few brief pages.

This is just one of the many literary gems in Selected Stories of O. Henry, a collection of forty-five of O. Henry's most renowned and entertaining short stories. Each one offers insights into human nature and the ways it is affected by love, jealousy, poverty, gentility, and the all-pervading reality of people conning people--themes that ran through the author's own life. Born William Sidney Porter, O. Henry started writing while in prison for embezzlement. Later he moved to New York, and his tales romanticizing the commonplace, particularly the life of ordinary New Yorkers, became highly popular. The most widely read author of his time, O. Henry died penniless but left behind a wealth of short stories that endure as hallmarks of the genre.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
We have a fine choice of interesting authors and one couldn't go wrong on any one of them but I'm a big fan of Dunsany and I've not read the entirety of this collection. So I guess my vote is predictable!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-08-2012 at 07:13 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have never read Dunsany (indeed, I had never heard of him until fantasyfan nominated The King of Elfland's Daughter), so that was my deciding factor.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a hard time deciding between Hemingway and Kafka. I went with Hemingway, and if it should happen to win, I was thinking of getting "The First Forty-Nine Short Stories" which I think was the first book it was a part of since it has a preface by Hemingway himself.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I find myself in the mood to reread those wonderful stories by Lord Dunsany, so that is how I voted. Still I will be happy to read and discuss any of the possible choices here.
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I wanted to go for one of the three authors I first heard about here, and in the end picked O. Henri, but any of the choices is going to be fine with me.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Well, judging by these last few months, no one can accuse us of all just voting for the one in the lead!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Bah, I don't want to be a tiebreaker and I don't have a strong preference. *sits on hands*
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Haven't been involved in any of the bookclubs for months, but I need something different to read and the Lord Dunsany books look like fun.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

And then there were three.

The one-day run-off will be up soon.

ETA - For what it's worth, Flannery O'Connor is an excellent writer and her short story "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" is one of my favourite short stories. I highly recommend it, and it's only a short story so a quick read. The only reason I didn't vote for O'Connor is because I've already read many/most of her short stories.

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had a hard-time deciding between Hemingway and O. Henry. I knew either way my vote was going to create a tie, but I wasn't expecting three choices! Once again, this month had some great nominations. I downloaded Heart of the West by O. Henry and Fifty-One Tales by Lord Dunsany and look forward to reading them in the future.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The last time we discussed short stories, I read them too early and couldn't remember half of them by the time we were discussing them. I won't make that mistake this time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote