Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Do you guys write with special pens or fingers? I've only tried one pen myself, and it was so thick (~1,2 cm) that I really didnt like it.

Curious about your experiences, because your samples posted above looked pretty neat!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Capacitive styluses are thick, yes. But I prefer a stylus to fingers for drawing/painting or writing. Like Tom, I use a Wacom Bamboo which is one of the best I think in terms of precision, but it's still thick.

Adonit make a stylus with a fine tip, reviews on Amazon are mixed though. And they have announced a pressure-sensitive stylus, which I find very tempting even if it doesn't work with every app. I'm waiting impatiently for it to be available.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
andymillson
eBook Fan
andymillson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600, Apple iPad
Stylus's

I have been handwriting on the iPad a while now. I have been using the Adonit Jot stylus and love it. Te clear capacitive disk makes it very easy to see where you are writing/sketching. I noted the announcement about the new pressure sensitive stylus being worked on, but have no real need for that, I am in no way artistic and having that as a features doesn't interest me.

I use either Note Taker HD or Notability apps. Lately I have been unsung notability almost exclusively. I like the fact it automatically syncs notes to dropbox, so I can access my notes from any of my devices, mac, iPhone, iPad...

I also was looking at this stylus with interest - http://cregle.com/ipen - The Cregle iPen, not capacitive, but uses a separate dongle to trace the pens location. Not sur show well it would work with a case, but almost interested enough to spend th money to find out

Andy
andymillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Exactly. It's also very easy to start a new page in Noteshelf. The bottom line is that nothing hinders the flow of writing, and I like that.

The thing I miss in Noteshelf is a better way to handle and edit images. I should write to the developers about this too I guess.
Here's their website: www.fluidtouch.biz/noteshelf/

Their support page isn't anything to write home about, but you can use the message form to request new features.

http://www.fluidtouch.biz/noteshelf/support

<><><>

Now please forgive what must sound like very ignorant questions, but if I export a file as a PDF, is there a character recognition program out there that could turn it into text? And when saving as images, what format is used?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...if I export a file as a PDF, is there a character recognition program out there that could turn it into text?...
Here's what I know: ReadIris Pro 12 doesn't do it. Of course, the latest version is ReadIris Pro 14, and I have no info on that.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:

Now please forgive what must sound like very ignorant questions, but if I export a file as a PDF, is there a character recognition program out there that could turn it into text? And when saving as images, what format is used?
Not being able to have it converted to text is why (when I have the need) I use Writepad. Its maturing very nicely, and it converts to text on the fly.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Not being able to have it converted to text is why (when I have the need) I use Writepad. Its maturing very nicely, and it converts to text on the fly.
So far the favorite handwriting conversion app of all I've tried is Notes Plus. There are some limitations that bug me, and some areas where I find myself doing work-arounds to get the result I want, but it really does a fantastic job of converting handwriting to text.

WritePad for iPad sounds like a fantastic app, and I'd like to give it a try, but there are a couple of questions I have first:
(1) Does it convert handwriting? The video I just watched on YouTube doesn't show it doing that, but rather shows it converting handprinting to text.
(2) Can you use a stylus with this app?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So far the favorite handwriting conversion app of all I've tried is Notes Plus. There are some limitations that bug me, and some areas where I find myself doing work-arounds to get the result I want, but it really does a fantastic job of converting handwriting to text.

WritePad for iPad sounds like a fantastic app, and I'd like to give it a try, but there are a couple of questions I have first:
(1) Does it convert handwriting? The video I just watched on YouTube doesn't show it doing that, but rather shows it converting handprinting to text.
(2) Can you use a stylus with this app?
I'll take a look at Notes Plus. On the matter of your questions...
1) Yes, but not if your writing is really untidy. Otherwise its pretty good. It is supposed to adapt to your particular style though, so maybe not such an issue.
2) Yes.

I wish there was a palm rest.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 06-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Thanks, kyteflyer. I'll give it a try.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
WOW! WritePad is amazing! A little bit of learning curve with the gestures for things like backspace and return, but I can see those quickly becoming second-nature. I absolutely love the way handwriting is almost instantly converted into text. I've set the conversion delay to the shortest possible (0.5 sec) and it's really fast.

I don't believe I'll be using my stylus with this app. With the other apps, it's a bit of a necessity because finger writing quickly fills the screen, but with the way this app instantly converts words as you write, the problem of running out of screen space vanished. Goodbye, writer's cramp!

Fantastic app, and I think I may have a new favorite. Thanks, kyteflyer—karma coming your way!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:

Fantastic app, and I think I may have a new favorite. Thanks, kyteflyer—karma coming your way!
My pleasure! Also, this evening on more exploration I discovered that there *is* a palm rest its all good.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #27
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe I should try this app too. I rarely feel the need to convert handwriting to text, but sometimes I write on the metro or train, and in a cramped environment it's difficult to use the keyboard. In that case handwriting recognition would be very useful.

The same company has an app called phatpad that seems to be more of a notebook app, as opposed to writepad which is a word processor, if I understand correctly. Has anyone tried it?

Also, I have a question about writepad: can you use the same app with several languages? I'm a little worried because there are several versions of the app, including one for French, and they all cost 8 euros. Do I need to buy the English app and the French one if I want to write in both languages?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Maybe I should try this app too. I rarely feel the need to convert handwriting to text, but sometimes I write on the metro or train, and in a cramped environment it's difficult to use the keyboard. In that case handwriting recognition would be very useful.

The same company has an app called phatpad that seems to be more of a notebook app, as opposed to writepad which is a word processor, if I understand correctly. Has anyone tried it?
I scanned their web site, looked through the User Manual, and watched the PhatPad YouTube video. It looks to be more of an all-in-one type of app that allows you to insert shapes and pictures and more. It offers handwriting recognition, but you have to either type each word into the recognition engine separately and hit the convert button each time, or write normally, then circle what you wrote and select convert-to-text. Not at all as conducive to the free flow of ideas its sister software offers, with its on-the-fly conversion. I find writing in WritePad a joy. It isn't perfect, but its the best I've found so far.

Quote:
Also, I have a question about writepad: can you use the same app with several languages? I'm a little worried because there are several versions of the app, including one for French, and they all cost 8 euros. Do I need to buy the English app and the French one if I want to write in both languages?
After reading this, I tried to change the language in mine and got a pop-up saying, "Language Pack: Français. Buy now" (no price given at that stage). I assume therefore you only need one copy of the app, but using it with an additional language is a minimal additional fee, and not having done that, I can't tell you how well it works with two languages. I imagine that switching between languages is a breeze, but you'd have to ask someone who actually does it.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
After reading this, I tried to change the language in mine and got a pop-up saying, "Language Pack: Français. Buy now" (no price given at that stage). I assume therefore you only need one copy of the app, but using it with an additional language is a minimal additional fee, and not having done that, I can't tell you how well it works with two languages. I imagine that switching between languages is a breeze, but you'd have to ask someone who actually does it.
Thanks! I think the price of the French language pack is 2.39 euros. And I'm not sure that changing languages is a breeze (based on a comment on the iTunes store, but the comment was for phatpad). But at least it can be done, and the price of the app + additional language should be around 10 euros. Not cheap for an iPad app, but reasonable. And I'll admit I'm curious, so I guess I will buy it.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Well, i just wasted 8 euros. Writepad may be good for English, but in French it's a disaster. In fact, it's even stated in the user manual: the recognition engine is optimized for US English only. Too bad they didn't put this sentence in the store description. I don't know how easy it is to get a refund on the apple store, I've never tried it, but I will try now. I could try to use the app for English, but now that I have chosen franchise as my main language I would have to pay 2.39€ more for the English pack, and I think my adventurous spirit stops here.