Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
trashHeap
trashHeap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook Firmware Open Source?

According to the wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook the Pocketbooks have an official open firmware project. Hosted here: http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

Thing is while I can find the source code to the kernel and some of the apps. It seems like there is some relevant packages still missing? Or do these packages combined with the kernel constitute the whole stack? If so how does one build the firmware?

I am a big FOSS nerd, and if it really is all open source Im probably going to order one next paycheck... just want to make sure its not a trick. The documentation at the firmware site is a little hard to follow.

Thanks.
trashHeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Seneca
Enthusiast
Seneca began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus-5500G, PB-903, PB-603, Tolino Vision 2
Hi trashHeap,

unfortunately PocketBook does not have an open firmware. All you get is a very poorly maintained SDK (so you can write Apps for the device), but absolutely no access to internals. Note also that -- as far as I know -- programs written by third party members like you or I are second class citizens on the PB. for example no access to the GSM module, no access to tty emulation, only limited network access.

You can get sources to part of the firmware, but only for cash and only to those few parts that are backed (and defended ...) by open source projects, i.e. the kernel (excluding PB specific modules) and some libraries. To my limited knowledge, you do not get enough sources, scripts etc. to actually build a firmware image. The firmware updater/loaded is to my knowledge proprietary and not available.

Having said that, the PB is a cool device, with great hardware and a decent firmware. And after some long delays from last fall until this summer, we now see again regular updates and/or public betas.

Hope this helps.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
trashHeap
trashHeap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Seneca!

That does clear things up for me. Ill probably pass on the device then. I am a big believer in the four freedoms, so the hybrid of free and proprietary software in the device doesn't sound too appealing to me. I might continue to shop around for something which works with OpenInkpot

The Wiki entry on the PocketBooks at the MobileRead wiki should probably be fixed https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook as it stands it very much implies there is an open source firmware available at the last link.
trashHeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
jouda
jouda began at the beginning.

Device: PB360+
FW15.4 superuser

Hi.
Is there a legal option to gain superuser (root) rights for PB360+ with original FW15.4?
Thanks.
jouda is offline   Reply With Quote