Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #226
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Oooh! I have a black PE and would like to have wallpaper when it's off. Can all the reds really do that?? No wonder you've formed "Team Red"!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #227
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Filark, all edges can set the wallpaper for the reader screen.

Settings-> display settings-> reader default wallpaper.

Just make sure you have an image that is in the correct proportion and format - I use jpg images.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #228
bouldergramp
bouldergramp began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post

Just make sure you have an image that is in the correct proportion and format - I use jpg images.
Does this image remain on your edge when it is turned off?
bouldergramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #229
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Yes, on the reader side.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #230
bouldergramp

Quote:

Setting the reader wallpaper to default does exactly what it says...it sets the wallpaper to the default eDGe information image.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #231
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, try this way - it means you don't have to change the default picture.

Open Gallery -> select a picture -> menu button -> select 'set-as' -> select 'reader wallpaper'

That should do it for you.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #232
bouldergramp

reader wallpaper when OFF

Quote:
OK, try this way - it means you don't have to change the default picture.

Open Gallery -> select a picture -> menu button -> select 'set-as' -> select 'reader wallpaper'

That should do it for you.
I have no problem setting the reader wallpaper. What I cannot do is get that wallpaper to stay on the reader screen when the PE is turned OFF.

I did it with the Red PE but cannot do it with my Black PE.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #233
qmast2002
qmast2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Good morning All ! ! I'm beyond excited to have found this forum and after reading through page after page after page - I MIGHT have a new one for all the techies and Experts that have helped salvage the PE for others in the past....here's the deal....I have a PE that has the following settings (pay particular note to the Build Number)

Model number: edgejr
Firmware Version: 1.6
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 / buildmaster@zeke#4
Build number: DINGO-1.8

Soooooo - what appears to be different with my PE (that I've tried updating on multiple occasions using USB sticks AND SD Cards of different memory capacity) is that is shows DINGO-1.8

Here's the thing.....I'm not the most tech savvy person and I'm guilty of asking all the wrong questions, so, with that in mind.....Can someone help answer a) Why my DINGO version is 1.8 and does that keep me from updating my PE ? ? And b) how to update a DINGO 1.8 version ? ? I've tried all other update options to no avail....

I'm assuming that because my prior updates have failed, it must be because I have a buildnumber that is definitely different from other build numbers referenced on this site.....Can anyone lead me to a fix ?

I've tried updating with the following SD Cards (256 mb, 1.0 gb, 2.0 gb), and I've tried using the following USB sticks (1 gb, 2gb, 4gb) all to no avail....
I have indeed made sure the file was renamed AND loaded onto ROOT of the sticks/cards still to no avail.

Like others, after trying (and failing) - I do get a new LOST.dir added to the stick/card...Can anyone point me in the right direction OR are there any moderators (or members) that I can ship my PE TO and for a nice rounded sum of money and have that saviour "update" my PE and ship it back to me ? I'll pay for their time, work, and return shipping ! ! ! I offer this because I'm hoping THAT saviour will agree to a "dollar amount" that is less than me buying a new Galaxy tablet or iPad or similar device that still has a company behind it (plus -with a job market like we have in the U.S., it might help supplement a person's income or help them develop an income if its not already there for them)....I'm not sure if this has been suggested and I truly hope no one takes offense to me offering - I'm just trying to use a device and maybe help out the person (financially) that will HELP me use this device....

Thanks for reading and sorry to those offended by me suggesting to pay for this service ! ! ! Have a good weekend and an awesome holiday everyone ! ! !
qmast2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #234
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergramp View Post
I have no problem setting the reader wallpaper. What I cannot do is get that wallpaper to stay on the reader screen when the PE is turned OFF.

I did it with the Red PE but cannot do it with my Black PE.
Very strange.

Are there any other differences between your two units? By that I mean things like firmware revision, installed apps etc.

Internally both units should be identical regarding the hardware, therefore it must be something in the software that is causing the problem.

Is the picture that doesn't stay during shut down in the same relative directory on both units? If you open a book in the reader does the last page you were viewing stay when you switch off?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #235
ivanjt
Guru

qmast2002, a couple of questions.

First, what update are you trying to use?

Second, are you sure the you have a good download of the update.zip file and if you are using pablob rc3 file have you unzipped it and read the instructions inside?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #236
bouldergramp

Quote:
Very strange.

Are there any other differences between your two units? By that I mean things like firmware revision, installed apps etc.

Internally both units should be identical regarding the hardware, therefore it must be something in the software that is causing the problem.

Is the picture that doesn't stay during shut down in the same relative directory on both units? If you open a book in the reader does the last page you were viewing stay when you switch off?
The Settings/About eDGe data are identical.

The apps are the same but my black PE has the Google apps.

Gallery shows the .jpg images are in sdcard, DCIM, and download...just where I put them.

The last page of a book opened in reader does not stay on the screen when the PE is turned off. The red PE shows my grand daughter's image, the black PE shows the default screen with a drawing of the PE opened and a note at the bottom saying, "Slide the power switch to turn your device on."

I really have no problem. From what I read, it is uncommon for custom reader wallpaper to remain on the reader screen after shut-down.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #237
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just set a Reader wallpaper for my EE, and it appears when I turn the EE off!! This makes the picture the first thing I see when I open my EE while it is off. On my PE I have a wallpaper I set long ago which does NOT show when I turn the unit off. My Reader wallpaper on the PE only shows when it is on and I do not have a book (or journal or calendar) open on the eink side. Since I always have a book open I rarely get to see the wallpaper.

When my (black) PE is off I get the "slide to turn on" screen. I'm pretty excited to have a picture of my dog and cat instead of the how-to-turn-on screen on my EE now when it's off! Thanks for getting me to try the wallpaper on my EE, bouldergramp!

So it looks like some of the PEs act like the EE in this regard, and some don't. Do all EEs default to the wallpaper when off, I wonder?

qmast2002 -- Welcome!!
Are you making sure your file doesn't have a .zip.zip ending (which Windows sometimes puts on for you)? Good luck! I think you can do it!!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #238
ivanjt
Guru

Filark, all the EEs I have seen show the picture that you set using the gallery -> select picture ... routine I mentioned above - which reminds me that I should change mine to the summer picture

I find it strange that only some of the PEs do this. Maybe it has something to do with the physical build level and saving 0.001cent per unit.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #239
Filark

Quote:
. . . and saving 0.001cent per unit.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #240
qmast2002
qmast2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
qmast2002, a couple of questions.

First, what update are you trying to use?

Second, are you sure the you have a good download of the update.zip file and if you are using pablob rc3 file have you unzipped it and read the instructions inside?

Well, I truly appreciate all of the well wishes from others on this forum. It makes me want to give it a few more tries. I think I'll start by going to a store and buying a few USB sticks starting at 256MB on up and getting a few different brands to really give it a good shot....In terms of answering the above questions:

I've tried the dustyfeet updates, the GoldenAllmine update, the p.e. original updates, really - I've tried a few different ones....
In terms of "what update are you trying to use?" - that brings up a very good question I've been wanting to ask....

What steps or updates should one follow when trying to have access to the apps market? For example, in my case.....I have a DINGO-1.8 system (something that I've not seen others with on this forum so it makes me wonder if I have a weird system), Firmware version of 1.6, Kernel version of 2.6.29 witha buildmaster@zeke #4....What should be the first step I should take ? Should I update from Dingo to *-----* - or downgrade from DINGO to *-----*, and then update from that to *-----*, etc......

I'm trying my best to follow -what to update to-when your system is such and such.....I was under the impression that whatever system you're on (DINGO 1.6, DINGO 1.8, etc.)- you can just do an update (allmine, ermine, etc.) and your PE would then be switched over to it. Something tells me I'm not understanding it all correctly...
qmast2002 is offline   Reply With Quote