Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #331
faber1971
Enthusiast
faber1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle limitations for annotations

People having a Kindle well know what I'm talking about: Amazon has put a % limitation on the possibility of saving a part of the text in "My clippings.txt". Has anybody an idea of how getting a rid of this limitation through a new Calibre plugin or eventually a hack?
faber1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #332
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@faber1971 - a search reveals some answers for this

Edit: I've added a feature to the Quality Check plugin which will allow you to find MOBI books in your library which have the clipping limit specified. You will then either do a calibre conversion or use a third party tool such as mentioned in that thread above to remove the limit.

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-16-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Update with info on Quality Check latest release
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #333
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Neither Sigil or Calibre will clean up unused styles, you know the ones in those bloated Kitchen sink stylesheets, even if it is only 1 stylesheet

I'd love a plugin that would generate a Report(.log) of all the USED styles and a count of the tag usage in a single book. (and make LOG a Calibre External-View file type)

Or better yet, a list of the ones in the stylesheet that never were used.

I can handle the stylesheet edit armed with that.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #334
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@theducks - yeah I know what you mean - though I think it really needs to be a function/plugin in Sigil to be real time enough to be useful. Giving you a count of how many times a style is used and the ability to jump to those places - that would be nice.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #335
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I know, I can Search for the Name.
I am a little leery of blindly deleting 'not used', there are oh so may legay ways to use them style="styleA styleZ"
and define them
div.styleA
p.styleZ
.styleA

Then there is the Multi define like I find in the old Webscription stylesheet
Code:
body {
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0
    }
body {
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt
    }
a {
    color: inherit;
    text-decoration: inherit;
    cursor: default
    }
a[href] {
    color: blue;
    text-decoration: underline;
    cursor: pointer
    }
body {
    text-align: justify
    }
Never understood Why
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #336
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Neither Sigil or Calibre will clean up unused styles, you know the ones in those bloated Kitchen sink stylesheets, even if it is only 1 stylesheet
I think a calibre conversion to epub cleans up unused styles from the css file, ... but perhaps you are trying to avoid doing that.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #337
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think a calibre conversion to epub cleans up unused styles from the css file, ... but perhaps you are trying to avoid doing that.
Lots of styles left over that I can't find a place used. Calibre only seems to pretty up the stylesheet and ADD Calibre styles without condensing or tuning unnecessary span and div nests

We are speaking of the GI part of GIGO
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #338
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
@theducks - sounds like it would be useful to have in Sigil. But the trick as you mention is figuring out all the rules of how styles/classes can be defined and used in order to get an accurate report. Something to add to the wishlist
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #339
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Lots of styles left over that I can't find a place used. Calibre only seems to pretty up the stylesheet and ADD Calibre styles without condensing or tuning unnecessary span and div nests
I can't argue about the span and div nests but, just for interest, I took a retail epub which used one of those overblown one-css-fits-all stylesheets and did an epub-epub conversion.

Original css: 2624 lines (416 rules)
calibre-converted css: 318 lines (41 rules), all 41 rules were used at least once in the converted epub. 4 of the 41 were new calibre-created rules with the .calibrenn name.

Now, whilst a sample of 1 is not enough to prove anything, surely you'd have to agree that calibre is doing something with style rationalisation
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #340
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does rationalize css. Basically all css is applied to the actual HTML, then processed/transformed and then written out. This process automatically discards all rules from the input document that do not apply to anything.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #341
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does rationalize css. Basically all css is applied to the actual HTML, then processed/transformed and then written out. This process automatically discards all rules from the input document that do not apply to anything.
is there some setting that I have made, that stops this (purging) from happening?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #342
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there is no setting that can prevent rationalization from happening, rationalization is fundamental to the conversion process.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #343
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I'd love a plugin that would generate a Report(.log) of all the USED styles and a count of the tag usage in a single book. (and make LOG a Calibre External-View file type)

Or better yet, a list of the ones in the stylesheet that never were used.

I can handle the stylesheet edit armed with that.
I agree with this 100%.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #344
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is a style sheet. There are styles in that style sheet. Some of these styles are used. So why is it that Calibre is converting some/all of these used styles to different styles? Why can't Calibre see what's used and leave it be and when a style is not used, delete it from the CSS? Just create new styles when Calibre sees code inside the XML that should be part of the CSS? That would make things a lot easier and people would like Calibre conversions so much better.

So when I have <p class="para">, leave it be. Just modify para in the CSS as needed based on the options. Don't then give me <p class="calibre8"> when para was perfectly OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #345
Ferencz
Ferencz began at the beginning.

Device: nst
Cover-fetcher by ISBN

hi,

a customizable plugin for fetching the book's covers directly from the publishers official homepages (chosen by metadata) would be great, because many publisher save covers in high quality with the isbn as filename:
e.g.
dtv.de/_images/cover640/$ISBN.jpg & dtv.de/_cover/300dpi/$ISBN.zip
fischerverlage.de/media/fs/15/$ISBN[/I].jpg
reclam.de/data/cover/$ISBN[/I].jpg & reclam.de/data/cover_press/$ISBN[/I].tif <= no direct tiff-support in calibre, but Calibre extracts these covers if they are inside a zip-file (e.g. from dtv)
suhrkamp.de/cover/640/$last2DigitsofPublisher&TitleinISBN.jpg
rowohlt.de/fm/501/$ISBN.jpg
kiwi-verlag.de/ifiles/cover/printbig/$ISBN.zip
ullsteinbuchverlage.de/media/$ISBN_cover.jpg
piper-verlag.de/media/$ISBN_cover.jpg
klett-cotta.de/media/1/$ISBN.jpg
droemer-knaur.de/fm/48/$ISBN.jpg
oetinger.de/fileadmin/verlagsgruppe-oetinger.de/vsg_images/cover/download/$ISBN.jpg
cms.thienemann.de/daten/cms/cover/gross/$ISBN.jpg
tdb.carlsen.de/carl2_resources/uploads/cover/amazon/$ISBN.jpg
husum-verlag.de/catalog/images/3-89876-/$ISBN.jpg
aufbau-verlag.de/media/Upload/cover/$ISBN.jpg

? http://www.randomhouse.de/content/edition/covervoila_hires/$AuthorsSurname_$Title_id.jpg
? files.hanser.de/hanser/pics/$ISBN_id_#.jpg
? hoffmann-und-campe.de/getcover.cfm?pic=$last2DigitsofPublisher&TitleinIS BN_$AuthorsSurname1.jpg <= varies
very small: diogenes.ch/media/covers/132_211/$ISBN.jpg

Last edited by Ferencz; 05-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Ferencz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development