Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #181
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any update in working with comicbooks:

"Cannot yet convert the comic book. It can still split the image pdfs into two." When I just tried it out on a comicbook images combined to a pdf, it was able to crop it but not remove any of the dead white space/margins.

And is there a way to change the resolution/size of the cropping so it work for the Kindle 3?

Last edited by SunLight; 09-30-2010 at 09:47 AM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #182
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Could you be a little clearer? Removing the dead white space/margins is what cropping means, so I don't know what you could mean by saying that it was able to crop but not do that. Do you mean that it split but didn't crop? Are these comics scanned? Scanned whitespace is not real whitespace so that won't get cropped. BRISS might be a better tool for that if so.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #183
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Code:
Processing input page : 486warning: masks can not have colorspace, proceeding anyway.

Copying output page : 964Error: .\stream\obj_dict.c(96) : fz_deepcopydict() - assert: not a dict (<n
il>)
Get this error when converting...
no parameters set, except -i -o
any clue ??
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #184
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Could you be a little clearer? Removing the dead white space/margins is what cropping means, so I don't know what you could mean by saying that it was able to crop but not do that. Do you mean that it split but didn't crop? Are these comics scanned? Scanned whitespace is not real whitespace so that won't get cropped. BRISS might be a better tool for that if so.
BRISS will not be a good program for this as the white space margins are not the same on each page.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #185
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
BRISS will not be a good program for this as the white space margins are not the same on each page.
Well, BRISS does sort out pages into groups with similar margins and let you crop each group differently, but if actually every page is different, then yeah, it might not work. Have you considering trying something like the script I give at the bottom of this thread using Ghostscript/calibre? (Though I doubt that'll work too well if it's a scan either.)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #186
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Page size?

Please explain how page size participates in conversion? I have Kindle 3 and Sony 950, screen dimensions, especially screen heights are apparently different.
Does soPdf default to 6 inches?

Also, I don't see sopdf source download. on code.google.com.
Is source code still somehow available?

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 12-23-2010 at 05:38 PM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #187
pherodeon
pherodeon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
It would be possible to crop each page of a .pdf into 4 parts?

I would like to read on mi kindle 3 like the four steps per pages that it is shown in this video at time 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bP...eature=channel

SoPdf works very well but the size of the letters continues to be too small for me.

Thank You very much
pherodeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #188
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherodeon View Post
It would be possible to crop each page of a .pdf into 4 parts?
BRISS can do that. It would be tricky trying to do with soPDF alone.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #189
luma
luma began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Yeah, there's a reason the Fit2xWidth option is default, though I don't really understand the naming conventions myself. Too bad theguru isn't around to ask...

I went ahead and compiled a 32 bit linux binary for Nathan's GUI. You'll find it, packaged with the sopdf binary, in Nathan's thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=36

I'd appreciate it if you let me know if it works for you, since I've only tested it on one system.

I downloaded Kubuntu 10.04 earlier today, which actually wasn't too bad to download, though I haven't gotten around to installing it. I also installed Lubuntu 10.04 (though it's unofficial) on my Notebook. Nice and fast in general, though updates are taking forever today, yeah.
Thanks for this. Works great here.

Any chance you can get this in the OP so others don't have to wade through the thread?

luma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #190
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
It seems that there is some sort of memory leak in soPdf.
I'm trying to process this PDF file with it (i believe this is a prepress of this book; it contains text, not just scanned images). The file is not that huge, it is just 30MB/632pp.
However, when i'm trying to process it with soPdf with default parameters, soPdf eats about 20MB of RAM per page, up to 2GB (which is Windows limit for 32-bit processes i believe), when it dies with the following message:
Quote:
penartur@X220 D:\penartur\Downloads\software\soPdf# soPdf.exe -i 361810.pdf -o "Abel, Bernanke. Macroeconomy.pdf"

soPdf ver 0.1 alpha Rev 12
A program to reformat pdf file for sony reader

Input : 361810.pdf
Output: Abel, Bernanke. Macroeconomy.pdf

Processing input page : 102warning: cannot realloc 16777216 bytes
Error: .\processPdf.cpp(403) : processErrorPage() - Cannot process page 102
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_page.c(241) : pdf_loadpage() - cannot load page resources
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(430) : pdf_loadresources() - cannot load xobject resource
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(165) : preloadxobject() - cannot load image resource 471
Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(510) : pdf_loadstream() - cannot load stream into buffer (471)
Error: .\stream\stm_misc.c(103) : fz_readall() - cannot resize scratch buffer
Error: .\stream\stm_buffer.c(83) : fz_growbuffer() - outofmem: resize buffer memory
As you can see, it only processed 1/6th of a book before its death; so, in order to process the entire book, one would need x64 binaries and 12GB or more of free RAM, which seems ridiculous... or to fix that memory leak someway.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #191
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Is there any Mac OS X port of this? I've tried compiling it on my one, but I'm very bad at C/C++
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #192
naxa
naxa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
life saver

All hails!

You've just put an end to my years of struggling with pdf margins!

May your name be celebrated for years to come and even after the day pdf was forgotten!
naxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #193
earthbear
earthbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is awesome!!!! Thankyou!
earthbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #194
mikeww
mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeww ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4 NT
Hi, I'm trying to use soPDF but I'm getting errors:

Code:
C:\soPdf>sopdf -i "Larry Harris - Trading and Exchanges 2003.pdf"

soPdf ver 0.1 alpha Rev 12
        A program to reformat pdf file for sony reader

Input : Larry Harris - Trading and Exchanges 2003.pdf
Output: Larry Harris - Trading and Exchanges 2003.pdfout.pdf

Processing input page : 2Error: .\processPdf.cpp(403) : processErrorPage() - Can
not process page 2
 Error: .\mupdf\pdf_page.c(241) : pdf_loadpage() - cannot load page resources
  Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(430) : pdf_loadresources() - cannot load xobjec
t resource
   Error: .\mupdf\pdf_resources.c(165) : preloadxobject() - cannot load image re
source 1984
    Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(505) : pdf_loadstream() - cannot open stream (19
84)
     Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(454) : pdf_openstream() - cannot create filter
      Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(306) : pdf_buildfilter() - cannot create filte
r
       Error: .\mupdf\pdf_stream.c(127) : buildonefilter() - unknown filter name
 (JPXDecode)
Can someone help me?

EDIT:
I guess I should mention, this pdf had security on it, and I used http://www.freemypdf.com/ to unlock it. Perhaps that corrrupted the file..

Last edited by mikeww; 05-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
mikeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #195
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
This is actually pretty sweet for automatically cropping text based PDF page margins. This is the first tool I found that does this automatically. If there are others, please comment. I'm not interested in the programs where you have to select a region by hand.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote