Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
wandermaybe
wandermaybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Story HD - sound from button clicking?

The button clicks sounds fairly loud and sharp in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhftoWhWo-0&feature=related

it looks like the user in the first video is pressing fast and sharp, and so it sound the same.
Does the clicking sound depend on how hard you click? If you clicked gently would it be much quieter?

in general does the sound affect the experience of using the ereader?
I've only had a kindle keyboard and really can't remember the page turn
button clicks, so it must have been acceptable.

I was looking at the Sony PRS650, but after seeing this review
http://cme.at/testbericht/test-iriver-story-hd/ it shows the display difference...

The PRS650 has single-tap dictionary, drawing, and touch... but they weigh in
close to even to the HD's display clarity.
If the HD's clicking is loud or gentle would make a difference.

Last edited by wandermaybe; 05-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.
wandermaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For me, the keys (enter option back a-z etc.) always have an audible click. For the silver nav bar, up/down also clicks, but left/right can be completely silent if you press softly enough.

Quote:
in general does the sound affect the experience of using the ereader?
I sleep alone so I don't care... my PC keyboard is definitely a lot louder and I type a lot more on it... and wouldn't trade it for any other keyboard (cherry g80-3000 with click keys, so it's actually a feature).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
karakai
karakai began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
I can also confirm, the normal keys have an audible click, and also the up/down of the navigation button. (the up/down, home, back, enter and option keys are a little louder than the smaller keys) But the left/right navigation button can be operated very silently. I sleep with my girlfriend, and she is very picky with sounds, but she don't mind the sound of the left/right buttons...
karakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
wandermaybe
wandermaybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
So it can be silent or near silent to turn pages forward or back... but everything else will have an audible click?

I could live with that.
wandermaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I'll gladly put up with an indiscernible click over the glitchy Sony software.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote